PDA

View Full Version : Why dedicated 44 Mag dies?

hendere
01-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Just curious, why does Lee make both 44 Mag dies and 44 Special/Magnum dies? What would be the benefit of having the set that only works for the Magnum cases? I've ended up with not only Lee dies like that but also the older RCBS that only work for Magnum.

Rick Hodges
01-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I have no idea why. My 44special/44mag dies work just fine on the magnum. The printed load data that comes with it was for 44 special only.

Ithaca Gunner
01-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Just speculation here, but there was a time when the .44spl wasn't very popular and the .44mag was the new handsome and strong kid on the block, everybody wanted one and many started hand loading for it. The good old .44spl with it's only factory loading, duplicating the even older .44 Russian ballistics mostly sat on shelves gathering dust. Manufacturer's all got on the magnum's bandwagon and mostly ignored the old special, figuring if someone wanted to load for it, they still made dies, but all the attention went to the magnum, including dedicated dies. Who cared if you could load .44mag in .44spl dies, there was a severe case of magnum-mania sweeping the nation and the guys wanted all things .44magnum! Who would want to load the magnum in a die marked, .44spl? It sort of took something away from the magnum experience in their minds. In short, few appreciated the .44spl at one time and flocked to the big glittery magnum and the manufacturers simply gave them what they wanted. Again, just speculation on my part, I didn't begin to appreciate the .44spl until the mid-80's myself.

hendere
01-18-2016, 07:43 PM
Makes sense. I'm just now learning to appreciate the Special, but I didn't appreciate figuring out that I need more dies!

Mal Paso
01-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Who would want to load the magnum in a die marked, .44spl?

Me. :-) I use the 44 Special/Russian RCBS Carbide Cowboy Sizer and Expander dies along with a Hornady bullet seater. for all my 44 Mag. I bought several different manufacturers and have what I think is the best in each position

The Carbide sizer was a little tight and I opened it up a couple thousandths but depth was no problem. I size boolits .431" and wanted to work the brass less.

Any dies that can load Magnum should do Special. The RCBS Cowboy 44 Special do Mag just fine.

hendere
01-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Both my old RCBS dies and my Lee dies won't crimp 44 Special cases. RCBS changed theirs to do both at some point, and Lee makes both.

Not a big deal, I was just curious why Lee would continue to make both. I figure IG hit the nail on the head. And I love the Special more and more.....

Mal Paso
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Both my old RCBS dies and my Lee dies won't crimp 44 Special cases.

Wow. I'm looking at my Hornady seater/crimper and it will adjust 7/8" down from the magnum position in my Rock Chucker, way shorter than Russian. I imagine the press has something to do with the reach...

hendere
01-19-2016, 08:19 PM
I imagine the press has something to do with the reach...

It seems to be just the way they reamed them. With the dies against the shell holder, neither of my seater/crimp dies will touch the case mouth. The Lee flare die works for Special but not my RCBS. I contacted RCBS once upon a time to make sure that I wasn't doing something stupid, they told me that it was just the way they made them back then. I could probably shorten the length on the RCBS dies to work, but I'm crappy enough on the lathe that it would probably be worth the lack of frustration on my part to just buy a new seater.