PDA

View Full Version : Forehand - got myself into trouble.

wbrco
01-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Been doing amateur armorer work for a while and was thinking I was smarter than I really am.

I've got an old Forehand solid frame double action in .32 that has been floating around the family for years.

Well, it was functional but the trigger return was sticking, so I figured how complex can a 100 yr old pistol be?

So I get my Brownells screwdriver and punch out and proceeded to disassemble keeping track of what came out where. Well next thing I know I pull the trigger guard off and 3 pieces come out faster than I can track.

Well Numrich doesn't have a schematic for it or any of the latter Hopkins and Allen guns that were similar.

Anybody have a schematic they can share or assembly help?

There was some rust, and I have things soaking for the time being.

Fully expecting finger wagging from the experienced gunsmiths on the board...

rancher1913
01-17-2016, 10:17 PM
been there done that with a mark1 pistol[smilie=b: can't help you other then to wish you good luck.

Half Dog
01-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Well...I found a gun part on my floor. I posted a picture of it and soon I had many responses that correctly identified the part and gun that it came out of.

You are at the right place to ask.

kywoodwrkr
01-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Check out JB Wood books.
I met him back in early 1960s when he lived in Evansville, IN.
He was and I assume still is a whiz on these old pistols.
He has multiple manuals out but I have not bothered to see which ones cover what pistols/rifles.
http://www.amazon.com/Digest-Revolvers-Assembly-Disassembly-Firearms/dp/1440214522/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
YMMV

phonejack
01-17-2016, 10:57 PM
I had one of those moments the first time I completely disassembled my Colt 1903. I had to do it a second time before I swore I would never do that again.

w5pv
01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
I have a nack for losing spring loaded things in my 8ftx8ft room.I ususally find it long after I don't need it any more.I use this room for my radio,reloading and computer operating station or mancave.

Hickok
01-18-2016, 11:52 AM
I have learned the hard way, when in doubt, get a nice clear plastic bag, (large zip lock freezer bags are nearly boolit proof), put my two grubby hands and the firearm inside, then pull what ever I am working on apart.

I always think of this AFTER a spring and or a part goes flying!:Bright idea:

MrWolf
01-18-2016, 12:22 PM
I have a picture in my mind of making one of those hazardous material handling type stations with the plexiglass enclosure and built in gloves. Add a few magnetic strips along the interior corners to catch flying springs, etc.. I lost a part that ended up under my magnetic Ipad cover while watching a video on installing Apec trigger kit. Could not find it for about an hour and was giving up and went to grab the Ipad. Hmmm....

wbrco
01-20-2016, 11:41 PM
I have 3 of Woods books already, but not one on revolvers.

Any help out there?

noisewaterphd
01-20-2016, 11:50 PM
I know nothing about the gun, but if it is a patented design you might find schematics on file with the patent office...

SODAPOPMG
01-23-2016, 04:06 PM
try this link for a manual

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

wbrco
04-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Finally got it back together! Thanks for all the help.