PDA

View Full Version : Finally fired up the Mini-Mag

selmerfan
04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok, so I've been collecting lead and casting equipment and finally actually used it for a very short session today. I really wanted to melt down some lead and try casting, but I knew I wouldn't have much time to devote to it tonight. Two questions arose from this short session. Number one, do you fill the dipper completely full when casting the boolit? I'm using a Lyman dipper and a 2 cav 180 grn. Saeco .358" mould. The other question is, it's ok to leave lead in the pot at the end, right? It seems obvious that the answer is yes, because I don't know how I'd get all of it out. I did end up with something resembling boolits once the mould warmed up, but they had rounded driving bands and were wrinkly, I'm sure I just didn't get the mold warmed up. But at least when I cut the sprue and opened the mould, they dropped right out!
I think I may have a problem...I enjoyed the casting too much!
Selmerfan

mooman76
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I very might lead in the dipper according to how big the mould is I am casting but you want at least enough for the mould and a little exter. You don't want to make two trips to the pot for lead on the same bullet. Your good bullet tally will go down. Also if you try to cut the pour short to where you just have enough the bullets don't fill out as good also. I pour enough to pill the cavity and have a good pool on top.
Yes it is ok to leave the lead in the pot and in some cases it moight be better than having the pot empty!