PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

BooneTahoe
01-17-2016, 01:32 PM
I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere. I couldn't find them.

I'm a survival writer and I'm getting into BP cartridge loading as part of a series I'm writing called "Forever Gun." Basically, the idea is to build guns that would rule the world if all ammunition were gone. My thought is that the last rifles, during the transition between muzzle-loading and cartridge-loading, would be the best, fastest shooting options that would still utilize BP. Right now, my best guess is:

.45/70 gvmt for a repeating rifle, and
.50 Sharps for a single-shot rifle.

If so, I'd like to buy ideal representations of both of these. Which repeating rifle would you suggest? Which Sharps? Which is the best manufacturer (regardless of cost) of replica Sharps? Should I be looking at replicas or try to find an original?

Also, I'd like to look at revolvers. What would your recommend in a BP cartridge revolver?

I'm sure these are huge questions with many varieties of answers, but I need a good starting point. I'm going to wade into bullet casting, loading, etc..

Thanks!!

Gunlaker
01-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Most of the questions will have a lot of answers, but in my option Shiloh is at the top of the pile when it comes to Sharps rifles. I've owned a Pedersoli, and have several Shiloh's and C. Sharps 1874's. I liked them all, but the Shiloh is easily the best.

I'm sure that some will take exception to that.

If all of the ammunition were gone, wouldn't primers and percussion caps be gone too? I'd want a flint lock....

Chris.

BooneTahoe
01-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Most of the questions will have a lot of answers, but in my option Shiloh is at the top of the pile when it comes to Sharps rifles. I've owned a Pedersoli, and have several Shiloh's and C. Sharps 1874's. I liked them all, but the Shiloh is easily the best.

I'm sure that some will take exception to that.

If all of the ammunition were gone, wouldn't primers and percussion caps be gone too? I'd want a flint lock....

Chris.

Yes, primers would be gone and they're difficult to re-load. It's part of the puzzle I'm working out. At very least, it's much cheaper to stockpile a bazillion primers than to stockpile powder, bullets and primers.

Black powder is the key, since it can be made by hand (apparently, not legally, according to my friendly, local AFT agent.)

A flintlock is a great single-shot solution. I'm trying to go next-level past that and asking, what's the best primitive repeating rifle I can come up with assuming no smokeless powder?

I've been looking at the C. Sharps and Shiloh's today. I'm leaning toward the 1874 Sharps Buffalo (since I've already got a vintage Sharps Carbine and I'd like something more extreme.) I'm thinking about going to the 45/110 for the Buffalo. Is that a mistake? I don't mind the additional cost and reloading challenges of the 110 over the 70.

Thanks!

jugulater
01-17-2016, 06:55 PM
i wouldn't choose any of the long big bores, simply because they eat a ton of powder and lead and realistically dont make much sense in a survival situation. a 32-40 or 38-55 wouldn't eat up too much reasources and would still be potent enough.

also, primitive is the wrong word here, alot of the early cartridge repeaters are very complex and next to impossible to repair in the field.

the flintlock, wheellock, and matchlock are the best choices for pure longevity, they require no cartridges or special priming compounds.

johnson1942
01-17-2016, 08:00 PM
pm me

Bruntson
01-17-2016, 08:19 PM
If you are going to stockpile primers, then consider the popular lever action Winchester 94. It was initially chambered for the BP 32-40 and 38-55 rounds. If you develop a back powder version of the 30-30 for the Win 94, you would have a quick firing rifle that is very common and somewhat reasonably priced.

country gent
01-17-2016, 08:39 PM
While black powder can be made caps can be made from matches and thin copper or brass maybe even aluminum bullets can be cast simply. Set all this equipment and components in a pile and see what your going to be carrying to do this. Then compare to 2-4 bricks of 22 LR ammo. A flintlock muzzle loader would negate the cap making tooling and components but would requires finding flint and a knowledge of how to knap it to shape and size. A cartridge gun weather lever or single shot adds pprimers and cases to be added and since these are expendables to eventully be used up a way to make repair them is needed. I believe the "forever" gun your looking for may just be a crossbow. For years with the stock piles of components bullets loaded ammo and equipment finding what you need should be doable. After that runs out then the more primitive simple tools come into play. Realistically in a survival situation setting a few snares or dead falls for small game is quieter and easier than hunting it with a firearm. The first item in a survival kit should be a spool of heavy test braided fishing line something 25-50 lb test along with a good sharp fixed blade working knife.

Knarley
01-17-2016, 08:50 PM
I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere. I couldn't find them.

I'm a survival writer and I'm getting into BP cartridge loading as part of a series I'm writing called "Forever Gun." Basically, the idea is to build guns that would rule the world if all ammunition were gone. My thought is that the last rifles, during the transition between muzzle-loading and cartridge-loading, would be the best, fastest shooting options that would still utilize BP. Right now, my best guess is:

.45/70 gvmt for a repeating rifle, and
.50 Sharps for a single-shot rifle.

If so, I'd like to buy ideal representations of both of these. Which repeating rifle would you suggest? Which Sharps? Which is the best manufacturer (regardless of cost) of replica Sharps? Should I be looking at replicas or try to find an original?

Also, I'd like to look at revolvers. What would your recommend in a BP cartridge revolver?

I'm sure these are huge questions with many varieties of answers, but I need a good starting point. I'm going to wade into bullet casting, loading, etc..

Thanks!!
"Regardless of cost"??? I AM available for adoption!!
Knarley

rfd
01-19-2016, 02:08 PM
in an "end of world" survival sustenance situation, and with regards to firearms, that would be the flintlock rifle for all its obvious benefits, because you can make all the parts of its ammunition.

for self defense, i wouldn't want a single shot firearm.

this whole prepper premiss may be fun, but it's also kinda silly, imho. :lol:

StrawHat
01-20-2016, 07:41 AM
If I were going to grab a single rifle to carry to eternity and stay in the spirit of your opening post, it would likely be a Trapdoor Springfield of some type. They were offered in 50-70 and 45-70 but have since been re-barreled with smaller cartridges also.

I agree with the poster who mentioned using a smaller cartridge to save powder and lead. I would consider the 38-55 to be as small as I would be comfortable with using.

Realistically, in a situation as you mention, a flintlock rifle is the way to go. It uses the same homemade powder and a rock to ignite it. Granted, you normally don't find flint everywhere but a 1/2 dozen or so and you are good for a long time.

Since when is it illegal to make your own black powder?

Kevin

Col4570
01-20-2016, 05:30 PM
If all failed I would think that a Matchlock made from Steel Tube,the lock could be as simple as you wish.This would take Game and offer a certain amount of protection.Home made Black Powder would be used.Not ideal but then a vast improvement on a Spear.The Tube end could be sealed with a Plug driven in and cross pinned,a touch hole drilled,and the Barrel bound to a crude stock made from a sapling with a suitable bend.The Serpentine or Match Holder could just swivel rather than be operated by an internal lever. Shot could be made from Roofing lead or Pipe cut up into small pieces for Bird and Large pieces for Deer, Hogs etc.Providing the ability to make black Powder exists the Salt peter element could be utilised to make the Match by soaking thin rope in a solution and drying it.If tools where available scrap metal would be the material to seek out.The finished article wouldn't be pretty but it could keep you in food providing you can Stalk to about 50 yards.