PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Auto Bench Prime

John Hill
01-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Has anyone used the new Lee Auto Bench Prime part no 90700? I have been using the Lee Auto Prime XR for pistol cases and have had problems with primers getting stuck due to my hand movement not getting the case all the way back and in line with the primer. It would appear that the new bench mounted tool would be steady and consistent but I would like to hear from someone that has used one.
Thanks
John

jmort
01-17-2016, 11:13 AM
I did not know it was available. I am going to try it out, for sure.

P.S. Just checked Titan, not available.

Moonie
01-17-2016, 11:36 AM
ordered some parts from titan reloading friday night, wasn't listed as available then, I checked. Looking forward to it.

rtracy2001
01-17-2016, 11:38 AM
As of today (1/17/2016), Lee's website still shows it as "coming soon". While they have used that phrase to mean "out of stock" I think in this case it is accurate. I haven't seen anyone offering it.

They do show the folding primer trays (90606) as available. I am not sure what the advantage of the folding trays are. Though it appears that Lee figures it is good enough to discontinue the standard trays. I may order a pair the next time I need index flippers for the Loadmaster.

Tackleberry41
01-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Funny as Lee makes no mention of it on their website. I used their hand auto prime for a long time. Tho is a bit hard on the hand after not to long. A friend gave me 2 of the ram prime set ups, contrary to use use at times. But better than one at a time. But if their new bench unit works at least a little better than the ram prime might look at one. The ram prime just has that issue of once your down to less than 20 or so, it stops feeding on its own and you have to help them along. Probably seemed like a good idea on paper, just not so much in actual use. Fortunately I didn't pay for them.

jmort
01-17-2016, 12:49 PM
"Funny as Lee makes no mention of it on their website."

Yes, they do, under "New Products"

AUTO BENCH PRIME
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90700.jpg

Shipping early 2016The easiest, most convenient bench mounted priming tool on the market. Symmetrical design allows effortless right or left hand operation. Comfortable lever with just the right amount of mechanical advantage effortlessly seats even the most difficult primers with just finger pressure. The perfect mechanical advantage to feel the primer seating completely home into the primer pocket.

Includes priming assemblies for large and small primers. Made of a water clear tough polyester material that allows you to monitor the primers passage from the tray to the primer pocket. Change primer size or shell holder in seconds.

Includes the new folding tray—go from box to priming in seconds. Tray has a built-in primer flipping feature allowing direct filling from today’s large primer boxes. The tool mounting holes are spaced for the Lee Bench Plate system (#90251) (http://leeprecision.com/bench-plate.html) or can be mounted directly to your workbench.

Uses special, but inexpensive priming tool shell holders, (http://leeprecision.com/shell-holders/hand-priming-tool-shell-holders/)so there’s no need to endlessly swap press shell holders to prime.

Note: mounting hardware sold separately.

mac60
01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
I have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool. In the very beginning I thought I found priming nirvana. The problems I had with it initially were lessened a little by polishing shellholders. Then I had occasion to use primers other than CCI brand. Using ANY other brand resulted in a lot of hangups. Once again a little tweaking here and there improved but didn't totally eliminate the problem. Then there is the ritual of filling priming tubes. Given all this, I still use it more than any other priming tool - it does leave a little to be desired though. I look forward to getting my hands on the new Lee tool. If the thing works, they'll sell a bunch of 'em.

Tackleberry41
01-17-2016, 01:55 PM
OK so not under 'priming tools' like one would expect, but in new products. Way its made should not have the feed issues the ram prime set up does. And not require a press.

VHoward
01-17-2016, 01:57 PM
I haven't had any problems with my RCBS bench mounted priming tool using any brand of primer I've tried.

The Lee unit looks interesting.

jmort
01-17-2016, 01:59 PM
"I have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool. In the very beginning I thought I found priming nirvana."

"Then there is the ritual of filling priming tubes.Given all this, I still use it more than any other priming tool - it does leave a little to be desired though."

I have a couple of the RCBS bench tools, feel exactly the same way, and I too look forward to giving the Lee tool a go.

Wayne Smith
01-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Is there a shell holder chart that indicates which cartridges fit which holder??

John Hill
01-17-2016, 04:43 PM
I suppose that it will use this which has a chart for 115 different cases
Hand Priming Tool Shell Holder Set

http://leeprecision.com/images/P/APShellHolders.jpg

Lee set of Hand Priming tool shell holders, include 11 of the most popular for more than 115 different cartridges.
Includes #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 19

Click here (http://leeprecision.com/parts/shell-holders/hand-priming-tool-shell-holders/set-ap-shellholders-parts) to view parts

jmort
01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Yes it do, see post #6

Pooch
01-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Gonna get one of these!!

Iowa Fox
01-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Yep, gonna have to try one of those. I just hope the priming punch does not leave marks on the primers like so many do.

Garyshome
01-17-2016, 06:17 PM
I prime on my Dillon, Just have to keep the slider clean. Have enough extra steps in cleaning & case prep, don't need one for primong.

rtracy2001
01-17-2016, 06:48 PM
I prime on my Dillon, Just have to keep the slider clean. Have enough extra steps in cleaning & case prep, don't need one for primong.

I certainly wouldn't use it when loading on my progressive, but for rifle calibers that I now load single stage, it might be a replacement for my auto prime.

dboling
01-17-2016, 08:03 PM
As of today (1/17/2016), Lee's website still shows it as "coming soon". While they have used that phrase to mean "out of stock" I think in this case it is accurate. I haven't seen anyone offering it.

They do show the folding primer trays (90606) as available. I am not sure what the advantage of the folding trays are. Though it appears that Lee figures it is good enough to discontinue the standard trays. I may order a pair the next time I need index flippers for the Loadmaster.

I ordered a new small primer assembly for my load master and it came with a folding tray. I will not use the folding tray it as obstructs full view of the primers. It also feels cheap. I prefer the old style tray with the clear lid.

VHoward
01-17-2016, 09:08 PM
How does this folding primer tray work? Is there a demonstration of it on Lees site? I'll go look.

dkf
01-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Looks like the price is going to be around $32. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-auto-bench-prime-90700.html

Ric-san
01-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Didnt even know this existed...

Rich/WIS
01-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Suspect Lee was watching what the old Auto Prime II's were going for on E-bay and realized there was a demand for a priming system that worked in a similar fashion. I have heard complaints about the AP II but it is interesting that you don't see many for sale. If they were really that bad would think that the market would be flooded with them.

swamp
01-18-2016, 05:54 PM
I really like the Auto Prime II. Wish they still made them. I will have to try this out after it has been out awhile. Give them time to work out the bugs.
swamp

warpspeed
01-18-2016, 07:41 PM
I'm going to have to check that out. Been wanting a bench mounted primer for a while.

bedbugbilly
01-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Right now, I use a Lee ergo hand primer to prime all of my brass - both pistol and rifle. If this uses the same shell holders, I'm certainly going to give one a try. Looks like it might be a good addition to the loading bench.

dragon813gt
01-18-2016, 08:57 PM
It uses the same shell holders.

rodsvet
01-18-2016, 09:28 PM
You'd think Lee would have made it accept regular shell holders. After all, if you are loading for a caliber, then you would have the correct shell holder already. But then, this way Lee can tap a few more of your bucks.

Wayne Smith
01-24-2016, 10:59 AM
You'd think Lee would have made it accept regular shell holders. After all, if you are loading for a caliber, then you would have the correct shell holder already. But then, this way Lee can tap a few more of your bucks.
That's most likely the reason I won't be ordering one.

rtracy2001
01-24-2016, 11:35 AM

It is a leftover from the Auto Prime II which used the simplified shellholders. I kind of like them. They are cheaper than a "standard" shellholder and you can leave a shellholder in the priming tool while loading on the press.

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 02:10 PM
It's not like the shell holders are expensive. Buy a set and be done w/ it.

robg
01-24-2016, 04:52 PM
It will save my aching thumbs ,fancy one myself .wonder how long before we get them in the uk

Wayne Smith
01-24-2016, 06:20 PM
It's not like the shell holders are expensive. Buy a set and be done w/ it.

I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either.

jmort
01-24-2016, 06:36 PM
"I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either."

With the exception of the 44-40, why would any manufacturer, other than a specialty manufacturer, make anything, shell holders included, for any of these? Those are "commitment" calibers.

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either.

Do they work w/ a Lee standard shell holder? If it's one of the standard numbered ones than you're covered. Can't make everyone happy.

Wayne Smith
01-25-2016, 01:42 PM
No these are the smaller, flat shell holders that Lee used. Lee makes standard (RCBS type) shell holders for all of my calibers with the possible exception of the 41 Colt. Haven't looked for that one.

merlin101
01-25-2016, 03:22 PM
.41 colt use shell holder #1
44/40 " " " #14
.32 short & long colt ,.32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 colt NP #4
.32 acp #7
perhaps the #11 could be hogged out a bit for the .45 S&W

dragon813gt
01-25-2016, 04:49 PM
No these are the smaller, flat shell holders that Lee used. Lee makes standard (RCBS type) shell holders for all of my calibers with the possible exception of the 41 Colt. Haven't looked for that one.

And they are the exact same shell holders w/out the attachment spud for the ram. That's why I was asking. You can cut the spud off of a regular shell holder and it will work. The numbers transfer between the two.

gwpercle
01-29-2016, 06:47 PM
It's in their 2016 catalog that I got in the mail yesterday. I'm so old school , I can't help but send for free catalogs.
The shell holders for it are the same priming tool shell holders as for the Auto Prime XR and the Lee Ergo Prime tools.
I still prefer the hand held tools, that way I can take them to work with me and get some important work done .

s1120
01-30-2016, 11:28 AM
I don't have a problem with the Lee using a different shell holder. Manly because I would not want to keep swapping the shell holder back and forth, and I would find myself buying a new one anyways to keep with the primer.

1bluehorse
01-30-2016, 12:37 PM
It is a leftover from the Auto Prime II which used the simplified shellholders. I kind of like them. They are cheaper than a "standard" shellholder and you can leave a shellholder in the priming tool while loading on the press.

The Lee Auto Prime II (no longer in production) uses standard shell holders....they work pretty well but as mentioned before, when you get down to the last 10 or so primers in the "chute" you have to help them (primers) to fully engage onto the priming pin. This new bench primer appears to have a steep enough angle that the primers will feed without that issue. If I didn't have the RCBS unit already I would probably try one. I'm also of the camp of not enjoying filling primer tubes.

Wayne Smith
01-30-2016, 12:41 PM
.41 colt use shell holder #1
44/40 " " " #14
.32 short & long colt ,.32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 colt NP #4
.32 acp #7
perhaps the #11 could be hogged out a bit for the .45 S&W

Thanks, Merlin. I just might order one. Guess I didn't do my research.

rtracy2001
01-30-2016, 07:58 PM
The Lee Auto Prime II (no longer in production) uses standard shell holders....they work pretty well but as mentioned before, when you get down to the last 10 or so primers in the "chute" you have to help them (primers) to fully engage onto the priming pin. This new bench primer appears to have a steep enough angle that the primers will feed without that issue. If I didn't have the RCBS unit already I would probably try one. I'm also of the camp of not enjoying filling primer tubes.

Yup, I misspoke. It is the Auto Prime that I have, not the Auto Prime II which I am told is a variation of the Ram Prime.

Whiterabbit
02-09-2016, 01:56 AM
I'm gonna buy one the moment they hit. Looks great. I'm tired of the hand prime.

1bluehorse
02-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm gonna buy one the moment they hit. Looks great. I'm tired of the hand prime.

I lost all interest in "hand priming" somewhere in the 90's........I'm always a bit surprised (amazed would be a better description) of the amount of folks that say they get such great "feel" for seating primers with various brands of hand primers. The only "feel" I got was the continuous ache in my hands and forearms after about a hundred or so. I believe a good bench primer with a set primer seating depth is far superior. :popcorn:

jmort
02-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Me too, got to have one, except, I still love my Auto Primes.

OS OK
02-09-2016, 02:59 PM
I got my RCBS bench prime system yesterday and really like it…but…have already modified it also.
I put a 3" piece of 3/4" black radiator hose on the end of the handle to cushion it in the palm of my hand…much better now.
I also put a small magnet on the handle to hold the pin that you have to pull out of the primer tube…a small thing but 'Murphy' visits my shop from time to time and I try to head him off before he gets here.

HAHAHA…beat you again…Murphy!

Dan Cash
02-09-2016, 04:11 PM

I bet this one does. http://www.forsterproducts.com/product/co-ax-primer-seater-w-e-z-just-shell-holder-jaws/ Buy it once and use it the rest of your life.

GONRA
02-09-2016, 05:55 PM
GONRA's always been happy with my really olde RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512 .
for loading usual .175 and .210 inch diameter Boxer primers.
Screws onto bench, uses shell holders. No primer feed, just my fingers, but suits me Just Fine.
Kinda scared of "primer feeds" anyhow...

Made a "similar" tool from cheapest Lee bench mounted RELOADING PRESS
for .50 BMG Boxer, 8mm Berdan and 9mm Berdan primers for larger stuff
using 7/8-14 threaded shell holders that screw into top ofpress. "Top Mounted".

RogerDat
02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into? Lee Safety Prime seems an obvious choice. Yes I know it is not the most robust feeling piece of equipment but once adjusted correctly it simply rocks at putting primers in right there on that press thingy I already have on my bench.... :-)

OS OK
02-10-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into? Lee Safety Prime seems an obvious choice. Yes I know it is not the most robust feeling piece of equipment but once adjusted correctly it simply rocks at putting primers in right there on that press thingy I already have on my bench.... :-)

Could be that if we can find one thing somewhere in the middle to agree on…we might approach this question, 'which tool is better' and eventually agree on that.
Look at the facts:
Primers are dangerous…actually…explosive
They deposit dust that will collect
They are sensitive to handling…and…to foreign substances that will kill them or inhibit their function…sensitive to humidity and perhaps temperature
They need be stored correctly…and…not in a sealed metal container…and certainly not with your powder
(there is a You Tube vid.>'all you need to know about primers in HD'…or similar title…you look it up if interested

Another important consideration is 'how' they are installed to make them properly fit in the brass.
They need be at least flush and preferably…depending on 'who's opinion…2-3 thousands under flush
The primer pockets need consideration too but it is not the scope here to address that aspect.

So…the 'big question' I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into?

This answer is completely dependent upon which of the above 'criteria' the individual handloader intends to satisfy. To him whichever points he determines are important will be fulfilled in his work. If he wants production, 'Katy bar the door' as long as they go 'boom' … "good nuff".
If He is on the other end of the scale…'dang the schedule, these loads are going to be perfect!' "good nuff".

The method either man chooses will be dependent on what he wishes to accomplish…time constraints…ease of this or that…faster/easier…how they 'feel' upon insertion…repeatability of process…on and on and on…a mix of 'subjective and objective' in the same determination…can't do it and satisfy everybody at the same time.
The point whether they 'load' into a tube or tray becomes 'mute' in the production when this handloader says … "good nuff".

PS…did I mention anything about 'safety' of/for the operator during production…"Oh Shoot…OK"

Whiterabbit
02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
They need be stored correctly…and…not in a sealed metal container…and certainly not with your powder

Oh NUTS.

I have thousands of primers stored in little metal containers RIGHT NEXT to loose powder! Not just a metal cabinet either, like little brass SEALED containers!

(And this is why I have not worried about storing my primers and powder together.)

OS OK
02-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Oh NUTS.

I have thousands of primers stored in little metal containers RIGHT NEXT to loose powder! Not just a metal cabinet either, like little brass SEALED containers!

(And this is why I have not worried about storing my primers and powder together.)

"Theres always somebody who wants to 'pick the fly spit out of the pepper'…so you are them today?
I said 'sealed metal' and 'stored' both in the same statement and was referring to 'bulk stowage'…if you think for just one minute…that's a BOMB!
What happens to just one primer happens to everything in the container. Not necessarily so with bulk stowage of ammo…though there are considerations about that too.
Read the 'Federal Warning' statement regarding 'primers and powders' and proper stowage…there is even something in there about 'lids' and 'type' material construction of that container for stowage.
That warning was written and issued by somebody a lot smarter than me…but you go ahead and do it your way…"good nuff"

jmort
02-10-2016, 01:36 PM
"I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into?"

​Me too. I have, and use both the RCBS bench mounted Automatic Primer and the Lee Auto Prime round tray hand tool. Actually have a bunch of round tray units. I like both the RCBS bench tool and the Lee hand tool, but the dump and go method is better, for me. Can't wait to try the new Lee Precision bench mounted tool.

Whiterabbit
02-10-2016, 02:18 PM
In my limited experience, a tube is MUCH more reliable than the tray.

That being said, I personally use and prefer the tray. Because I do not like filling tubes. Also I do not like hovering my torso over the end of a tube filled with 70 inline primers.

jmort
02-10-2016, 02:33 PM
"Also I do not like hovering my torso over the end of a tube filled with 70 inline primers"

Another reason I have mine on an Inline Ultra Mount

RogerDat
02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
I don't generally do a lot of my priming off the press. Using a turret about the only primer that routinely gets done as a solo operation is the military crimped stuff, and that is de-prime and condition not prime. The Safety Prime is the Pez dispenser on an arm attached to a round thing hanging on the press. I do tend to do rifle ammo without the index rod so I complete one operation on all cases since I'm doing powder off the press. This got me thinking about storing more prepared brass which has me thinking about priming as own thing.

The part I don't get is why one would want a separate device rather than a primer delivery system that goes on a press and uses the press to seat the primer. Size and de-prime, trim to length, then apply primer, right? The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?

http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/lee-safety-primer-feed-large-small

jmort
02-10-2016, 03:39 PM
"The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?"

You can prime real fast with a hand primer, real fast. If I had a progressive, I would make it, force it, to prime on the press. But I don't and won't, so I will always prime off the press. Personal preference.

rtracy2001
02-10-2016, 04:18 PM
The part I don't get is why one would want a separate device rather than a primer delivery system that goes on a press and uses the press to seat the primer. Size and de-prime, trim to length, then apply primer, right? The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?

Well, on my Rockchucker, the on-press priming system is downright awkward. A long stroke to move the ram to the top, pull the primer arm back to (hopefully) pick up a primer, short stroke to seat the primer, then back up to the to[p to clear the primer arm, then pull the handle up to lower the ram and start over. It isn't horrible to prime when resizing, but if you clean primer pockets before priming, it is another whole step on the press.

Some people have trouble with the priming system on their Press. The Loadmaster priming system can be a real bear to get working consistently.

Lots of reasons to prime off press.

Whiterabbit
02-10-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't like priming on the upstroke, and I do not like filling primer tubes, and I do not like the idea of having to buy a special tool just to avoid having to fill primer tubes.

If you gave me a press that primed without tubes and on the down stroke, I'll use it. It would also have to control decapped primers like the press I use now, as that is a deal breaker.

Since a package like that seems a bit unreasonable to ask for, I prime off press.

The hand primers are starting to drive me nuts because every once in awhile a hard to seat primer stands a little proud. And recently I have been tightening tolerance on my revolvers which means they bind in rotation which is not acceptable (besides the safety issue of a primer seating in one chamber from recoil generated by another chamber)

Thus the new LEE device interests me greatly.

If a hand primer were made that gave me huge leverage without blistering my hand after 400 rounds in one shot with 100% reliability to seat primers below the case head, I'm there. I suspect such a device would have a 3-digit price tag unless it was unreliable.

So! Excitement it is, for the lee bench primer. If it fixes half the issues with the hand primer, it's a winner at $36.

MT Chambers
02-10-2016, 07:20 PM
I'd get the Forster one and never look back, I don't need another type of shellholder like the Lee, and it looks really flimsy, esp. the handle.

jmort
02-10-2016, 08:15 PM
^^^ The stamped/formed steel handle "looks really flimsy"
How so? It looks plenty strong to me.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-10-2016, 08:32 PM
I will be making room on my bench for one

dragon813gt
02-10-2016, 09:25 PM
^^^ The stamped/formed steel handle "looks really flimsy"
How so? It looks plenty strong to me.

Because it's made by Lee....duh ;)

jmort
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Got it.

MT Chambers
02-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Yup, agreed.

OS OK
02-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Since I de-prime before putting them into the tumble/pin cleaner…so as to insure the pockets and flash holes are clean…I have just made it part of case preparation to have them all primed and checked before they approach any press.
That has become a standard for me and it is as if I just don't know any better than to do it that way.
Have you ever bought a bag of pre-primed new brass…felt the satisfaction of looking at those new shinny things with the primers in and ready to go? Well that is the feeling I get when doing my brass like that…It is only like that when I prepare a batch for loading…the rest of the time the brass is stored in drawers in baggies and cleaned.

Each of us old farts to our own…OS OK

mac60
02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Because it's made by Lee....duh ;)

Right! Everyone knows you need a solid bar stock handle at least 1" in diameter and 3 ft. long to seat a primer!

Gillie Dog
03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
In stock at Titan. $29.98 plus.......

Only 47 left now.[smilie=1:

GD

Whiterabbit
03-03-2016, 03:03 PM
was 43 when I checked just now.

Now it's 42.

jmort
03-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Ordered two

Iowa Fox
03-03-2016, 03:22 PM
I hope that you guys that get the first ones give us a full report on how they work. I might get one. Just what I need another priming tool. I must have at least 8 different ones not counting presses..

jmort
03-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Will do. I deprime, Harvey Deprimer, and prime off the press, so I am willing to try most anything to see if there can be some improvement. I too have a bunch of priming tools.

Whiterabbit
03-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Ordered two

You know, I kinda wished I did that

mdi
03-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Because it's made by Lee....duh ;) Typical Lee Hater logic. Duh... :groner:

Gillie Dog
03-03-2016, 11:07 PM
You know, I kinda wished I did that

Call or email them. They will combine if you get to them when they open.
Two ship for $8 less than 1 at a time. ;)

GD

RogerDat
03-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Will look forward to hearing a report on how they work.

OilyPablo
03-04-2016, 12:09 AM
I thought it was going to come out later and whammo here is a thread. I'm ordering one!

mdi
03-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Just ordered one from Titan. Don't particularly care for $11.00+ shipping, but oh well...

VHoward
03-04-2016, 05:13 PM
That's the USPS for you, charge more and give worse service.

shoot-n-lead
03-04-2016, 05:15 PM
that's the usps for you, charge more and give worse service.

bull dung

VHoward
03-04-2016, 05:37 PM
bull dung
Why? Do you work for the USPS? If so, maybe you can explain to me why I get charged more for shipping packages and then the USPS can't deliver then when they said they would. That is my personal experience with the USPS. Just to day I received a package from Titan that was shipped from them in a Priority Mail 3 day box, but it took 6 days to get to me. I had to pay $7.60 for shipping. I know that price is not out of line with what the USPS charges because I recently sent a 5 ounce package and was charged $13 and they would not garantee delivery time. I think that is out of line getting charged so much for piss poor service.

OilyPablo
03-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Flat rate medium size USPS Priority box = $11.90 if third party discount (such as stamps.com). UPS, FedEx = more. Reliability the same. I don't see why the hate for USPS. UPS = always crunched and thrown up upon. FedEx = lost.

mac60
03-05-2016, 12:01 AM
Got me one on order. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm ready like old man Freddy.

OilyPablo
03-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Anyone get one yet??

I'm putting my RCBS hand unit on ebay!!

flyingmonkey35
03-05-2016, 12:43 AM
I ordered one as well

Iowa Fox
03-05-2016, 03:32 AM
I'm sitting here waiting for the first reports of how they work come in.

slim1836
03-05-2016, 10:29 AM
6 LEFT :-P

Slim

mold maker
03-05-2016, 12:51 PM
1 less

flyingmonkey35
03-05-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm sitting here waiting for the first reports of how they work come in.
Got to give us a few days for them yo show up. So you may want yo take a walk grab some lunch etc..

mdi
03-05-2016, 01:50 PM
That's the USPS for you, charge more and give worse service.

Yep, Civil Service. BTDT. Cream may rise to the top, but so do turds...

flyingmonkey35
03-07-2016, 09:18 PM
OK I all post my pics I. The correct post. Unboxing

Two cases primed so far. Need to mount it love the primer feeding mech.

flyingmonkey35
03-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Primes 50 45 lc nice and smooth good feel for the seating

mdi
03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
My Lee Bench Prime arrrived today and I tried it out on 160+ Speer 9mm cases with Winchester SP primers. I read the instructions (yes I did!) and mounted it on a 3/4" thick piece of scrap. Of those 160 cases I had 3 OOPS!; two primers inserted sideways, and one upside down, much better record than my hand priming tools. Priming was positive, easy and quick. Once the primers had a log jam in the tray, but a flick of my finger fixed that. I believe that these problems are my fault (not fully stroking the handle and not watching the primers in the tray). I think the tool will improve as I get used to it and just watching what's going on. I liked the tool and plan on using it a lot.

BTW; the "flimsy thin handle" appears to be stamped stainless steel .065" thick...

flyingmonkey35
03-07-2016, 10:13 PM
https://youtu.be/pHOsqUDaqJc

drklynoon
03-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Looks good. I can see a use for it outside of what is loaded on the progressive for sure.

VHoward
03-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Btw, I have the update kit for the ergo prime which includes large and small primer punch assemblies and the folding square primer tray. I found out that the old style round primer tray that was used on the Loadmaster will also work with these primer punch assemblies.. The primer punch assemblies that come with the bench mounted primer tool will also probably fit the ergo prime hand unit. Did you guys notice how they changed the primer elevator that raises it from the lower level up to the upper level has been changed so it will only accept 1 primer at a time? No more double stacking like the previous design. I did 300 45acp cases with only 2 oopsies. 1 primer seated sideways and 1 crimped primer pocket made it through my processing. Removed the crimp and that one primed also.

flyingmonkey35
03-08-2016, 12:50 AM
While I have found that the new folding trays have the added features of fitting a hole primer tray. And the switch is a nice bit

I found the plastic to be a bit flimsy and rough. The primers are not sliding around as easily.

So for the last 20 I used the round one and wow did that feed this thing no issues.

historicfirearms
03-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I got one the other day but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I did take it out of the box and looked at it, seems like a good little unit. One thing I don't really understand is the folding primer tray. It doesn't have much of a hinge at the fold either, I wonder how many folding cycles it will take before falling apart. The metal handle seems plenty strong enough, I know someone was concerned about it but it should hold up just fine.

I'm trying to decide how to mount it on my bench. At first I was thinking about having the handle at a right angle to the front of the bench. But now I might put the handle to the right, parallel with the bench front. Looks like that will be the most comfortable for me.

flyingmonkey35
03-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Well less the 200 rounds and it broke:-(

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160309/4c345d0f2d0076266a3f01c62f60b0f3.jpg

OilyPablo
03-09-2016, 01:47 PM
What does that little plastic piece sticking out do, and how did you break it?

flyingmonkey35
03-09-2016, 02:22 PM
The little plastic piece is the primer slide. You can watch the video I posted. To see it in operation. My only thought is a primer do not slide all they way into the slot. So caught on the lip.

Whiterabbit
03-09-2016, 02:37 PM
rounde primer tray? is that non standard?

Were you using the device in a non standard way? did the part that break engage with your round tray at all? proximity when not broken?

OilyPablo
03-09-2016, 02:45 PM
The little plastic piece is the primer slide. You can watch the video I posted. To see it in operation. My only thought is a primer do not slide all they way into the slot. So caught on the lip.

I have mine set, I see the moving slide stick out, but the picture looks like the fixed piece above it is broken. The fixed piece serves what purpose. Can you snap a picture or two from different angles?

flyingmonkey35
03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Sure can the broken piece is the chute.

flyingmonkey35
03-09-2016, 02:49 PM
163110http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160309/77020280ce19f19b4bb2c6972f22b3d3.jpg

OilyPablo
03-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Wow. Now I see. Holy moley. Mine doesn't have any stress there that I can see. Well contact Lee and get a new Large feeder.

Casting_40S&W
03-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I had the same thing happen and talked to Lee. They said this is a brand new product and has an engineering feature that can cause this problem. It is the rubber up stop on the lever. They put it there to allow a primer to be feed only if the operator wants it to feed. So you have to lift the lever to feed the next primer. If you allow the lever to just spring up it will drop the primer elevator just enough for a primer to just enter the elevator now the primer is half way into the elevator and half way in the feed trough. Press the lever down and bingo a break just like your picture.
They sent me a new adaptor and told me to cut out the rubber o ring up stop with a pocket knife. Or simply remember to lift the lever up before pushing down. They said the tool is now shipping without the rubber up stop installed

Before I received the replacement adaptor I pulled out the broken pieces and the tool seemed to work just fine without the ears.

flyingmonkey35
03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
OK good to know its just not me as this is a nice priming tool.

Mike Z
03-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Seven rounds and...163150

OilyPablo
03-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Ouch. Maybe I should just take the O-ring out of mine.

OilyPablo
03-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Did exactly that. Three screws, the halves come apart and the o-ring falls out. If mine fails, I hope warranty covers me.

flyingmonkey35
03-10-2016, 01:14 AM
I think I'll do a better video with the issue showie and how to fix it. My 18 sec video has more views then lees official video and mine actually shows it working

VHoward
03-10-2016, 01:31 AM
It was a good idea to design it so it would not pick up the next primer until you were ready for it. Lee's implementation of the design is flawed as you folks found out. At least Lee has identified the problem and is taking a step to correct it. I would bet that Lee will be replacing a few more of these broken parts. Too bad a company uses its customers as beta testers. But then we rag on them if they don't release a product soon enough. The primer punch assemblies that came in my ergo prime upgrade kit does not have that "o" ring in them

ArrowJ
03-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Unless flyingmonkey35 posted this on Facebook too it is the second one I have seen that broke almost immediately.

flyingmonkey35
03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Unless flyingmonkey35 posted this on Facebook too it is the second one I have seen that broke almost immediately.
Nope wasn't me I hate facebook

ArrowJ
03-10-2016, 10:44 AM
I hate it too. Therefore I participate anyway in order to insure my blood pressure medicine has something to do.

OilyPablo
03-10-2016, 09:19 PM
So far mine hasn't broken.

EDG
03-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Typical Lee gadget unleashed upon the first adopter types without adequate testing.

OilyPablo
03-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Typical Lee gadget unleashed upon the first adopter types without adequate testing.

Well actually this time it looks like they tested and knew. But didn't:

A) Cover consequences of not using the full upstroke in the manual (they do mention coming up against the o-ring twice - IN BOLD)
B) Give instructions for removal of the o-ring depending on HOW you use it.

Since I have removed the O-ring via taking the unit in half with 3 three screws I have had zero problems. 400+ cases and counting.

mac60
03-12-2016, 10:40 AM

A) Cover the full upstroke in the manual

The need to lift the lever up against the rubber o-ring is mentioned twice in the instructions in bold letters both times (step #8 and step #9). I haven't had any problems with the one I have (yet). The leverage seems right and the tool gives a good feel for proper seating.

OilyPablo
03-12-2016, 10:47 AM
The need to lift the lever up against the rubber o-ring is mentioned twice in the instructions in bold letters both times (step #8 and step #9). I haven't had any problems with the one I have (yet). The leverage seems right and the tool gives a good feel for proper seating.

You are correct. I will edit and reword my response. I have done 400 cases now, with zero problems. Just for the record: I like Lee products and am a fan. (not a hater)

mac60
03-12-2016, 12:20 PM
You are correct. I will edit and reword my response. I have done 400 cases now, with zero problems. Just for the record: I like Lee products and am a fan. (not a hater)

Your edit is spot on - I agree. One fan to another - there are haters out there though.

mdi
03-15-2016, 01:17 PM

A) Cover consequences of not using the full upstroke in the manual (they do mention coming up against the o-ring twice - IN BOLD)

Since I have removed the O-ring via taking the unit in half with 3 three screws I have had zero problems. 400+ cases and counting.
Manufacturers cannot make anyone read their instructions and surely cannot make anyone follow them. My last session with my Lee Bench Prime I dumped 100 Winchester small pistol primers in my tool, and proceeded to prime 100 Speer 9mm cases, non stop, without one single problem. But then again, I read and re-read the instructions...

jmort
03-15-2016, 01:42 PM
^^^ Most people fail to admit or even consider user error. That is most often the best place to start. I have had zero issues with my Lee Bench Prime, and it is a fantastic tool.

Whiterabbit
03-15-2016, 02:56 PM
I haven't primed on mine yet but I did reprime a case that had the primer standing proud. It was a test to see what kind of leverage the unit is capable of. With minimal effort I smashed the rim of the brass and deep-seated the primer into that brass.

This is a really good sign. it means that the machine is capable of seating primers easily with strong assurance the primer is fully seated without having to strongarm the lever, unlike the hand prime when the brass has tight primer pockets.

I'm really looking forward to processing a batch of brass, which is all the more exciting since historically priming is not my favorite part of the loading process.

1bluehorse
03-15-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm for sure thinking of buying one. I have an RCBS bench primer and while it is a very nice tool, I find mounting and using it on the bench is a bit of pain in the behind. The long handle makes it "difficult" to place where (I) would like. The Lee appears to be much more user friendly in that respect. Personally I would prefer one with that "O" ring installed so to only feed a primer when desired. My favorite off press priming unit is the old Lee auto prime 2 which IS actually press mounted with a die. Primer depth is easily adjusted with it. The only issue with these is it's the same old primer chute feed so you must be aware when the chute gets low.

mdi
03-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Before trying any "updating/modifications", try the tool. If you use it right it will stuff primers right...

flyingmonkey35
03-16-2016, 04:06 PM
For a new video review of it without the ring.

https://youtu.be/McFEgHehr20

Using small pistol primers it primed 100 9mm with out a hitch.

rbt50
03-16-2016, 06:49 PM
so far I like it. I have done 200 cases with no problem so far. I have a box full so primer tools that I don't like so I hope this one works out.

dverna
03-17-2016, 06:48 PM
I see plastic parts and shudder. But to keep costs low there is no choice.

Lee must have broken a few - thus the warning. There was a time when things were designed to be robust and intuitive. Now the criteria swings to cheap and sadly Lee is not alone.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Being a bit thrifty (Scottish on my Mother's side), I opted to order one with a bench adaptor plate, two pieces of the plywood "wedgies", and a custom push thru unit for my 425 Westley Richards boolits from my Accurate Mold.
Two more weeks. Sigh...

OS OK
03-21-2016, 10:36 AM

"Just because we complain about Lee products does not make us haters. Like many here I too use lots of Lee on the bench. Complain and modify and get what I want.
This is just one more example of Lees engineering short comings, product testing and quality control issues…you can't deny those facts.

The problem with you is...your assumption that 'everyone' has to be either one 'extreme' or the other…what makes you like that?"

jmort
03-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Thank you for putting up the video flyingmonkey35 makes it crystal clear what needs to be done. BTW, what a great tool this is.

mdi
03-21-2016, 01:16 PM
"Just because we complain about Lee products does not make us haters. Like many here I too use lots of Lee on the bench. Complain and modify and get what I want.
This is just one more example of Lees engineering short comings, product testing and quality control issues…you can't deny those facts. The problem with you is...your assumption that 'everyone' has to be either one 'extreme' or the other…what makes you like that?"

You are making a great assumption that I assume people are at the extremes about Lee products.

I was a Heavy Construction Equipment Mechanic/Electrician for 25 years with a very large city utility. I encountered many "tool snobs" during those 25 years, those that purchased their tools by the color, what their favorite TV motorcycle builder used, their favorite NASCAR pit crew used or by price ("they cost the most so they gotta be the best, right?") Rarely did the fellows purchase a tool by how well it works and their attitude was, "My Snap-On (or insert any tool mfg here) is the best and all others are pure junk".

I see this same attitude in reloading; "My RCBS (or insert any other tool mfg here) is the best reloading tool available and all the rest is junk". Their purchases are quite often the same reasons as the Tool Snobs' reasoning; cost, color, who uses it. But, I'm OK with that, it's their choice. But I disagree with those that bad mouth a company every time it is mentioned in a thread, Lee. Mainly because there are a lot of "tool challenged" reloaders that really don't know how to use hand tools, those that can't/won't read instructions, and those that just parrot something they read from their favorite forum guru.

I started using Lee tools before I found the web and perhaps it's because I have used hand tools my entire life with the last 50 for making a living that I have no problems with any Lee products I've owned (a few presses, 15 die sets, and a bunch of other reloading tools). Lack of engineering? Lee is the most innovative tool manufacturer of reloading equipment, how many other reloading equipment makers have introduce as many new, different, simple tools as Lee has in the last several years? Lack of quality control? You'll have to prove that statement. l haven't visited Lee's manufacturing facility, have you? Every tool I have purchased from Lee in the last 30 years has worked as it was designed. I have been able to produce quality ammo on my all Lee tools as I have on my Redding, RCBS, Herters, Hornady, and a few others (many of whom are not in business any more. Wonder why?).

Are there truely Lee Haters, Yes. Are there reloaders that don't know how to use a hammer? Yes. Are there experience reloaders that don't get emotional about inanimate objects? Yes. Are there reloaders out there that don't care either way and just purchase tools by how well they preform? Yes, and I belong to the latter category...

jmort
03-21-2016, 01:41 PM
^^^ Now will you go in that lake and retrieve your Lee handgun FCD? :sad:

OS OK
03-21-2016, 02:51 PM
You are making a great assumption that I assume people are at the extremes about Lee products.

I was a Heavy Construction Equipment Mechanic/Electrician for 25 years with a very large city utility. I encountered many "tool snobs" during those 25 years, those that purchased their tools by the color, what their favorite TV motorcycle builder used, their favorite NASCAR pit crew used or by price ("they cost the most so they gotta be the best, right?") Rarely did the fellows purchase a tool by how well it works and their attitude was, "My Snap-On (or insert any tool mfg here) is the best and all others are pure junk".

I see this same attitude in reloading; "My RCBS (or insert any other tool mfg here) is the best reloading tool available and all the rest is junk". Their purchases are quite often the same reasons as the Tool Snobs' reasoning; cost, color, who uses it. But, I'm OK with that, it's their choice. But I disagree with those that bad mouth a company every time it is mentioned in a thread, Lee. Mainly because there are a lot of "tool challenged" reloaders that really don't know how to use hand tools, those that can't/won't read instructions, and those that just parrot something they read from their favorite forum guru.

I started using Lee tools before I found the web and perhaps it's because I have used hand tools my entire life with the last 50 for making a living that I have no problems with any Lee products I've owned (a few presses, 15 die sets, and a bunch of other reloading tools). Lack of engineering? Lee is the most innovative tool manufacturer of reloading equipment, how many other reloading equipment makers have introduce as many new, different, simple tools as Lee has in the last several years? Lack of quality control? You'll have to prove that statement. l haven't visited Lee's manufacturing facility, have you? Every tool I have purchased from Lee in the last 30 years has worked as it was designed. I have been able to produce quality ammo on my all Lee tools as I have on my Redding, RCBS, Herters, Hornady, and a few others (many of whom are not in business any more. Wonder why?).

Are there truely Lee Haters, Yes. Are there reloaders that don't know how to use a hammer? Yes. Are there experience reloaders that don't get emotional about inanimate objects? Yes. Are there reloaders out there that don't care either way and just purchase tools by how well they preform? Yes, and I belong to the latter category...

Good post…reasonable reasoning…but did you get the 'jest' of what I was saying…I don't get your point?

OilyPablo
03-21-2016, 07:59 PM
This is just one more example of Lees engineering short comings, product testing and quality control issues…you can't deny those facts.

The problem with you is...your assumption that 'everyone' has to be either one 'extreme' or the other…what makes you like that?"

I'm not like that at all. I was merely pointing out that I like Lee Products.

OS OK
03-21-2016, 11:25 PM
I'm not like that at all. I was merely pointing out that I like Lee Products.

I apologize OilyPablo​…It seems that I am the one who didn't get the jest of what you were saying in the first place. No excuse for jumping to conclusions here…but…I suppose that I'm getting tired of that…'your a hater phrase' used so often around here. How can any of us know what another is saying without the fella saying so in plain talk?

OilyPablo
03-22-2016, 06:05 AM
It's the interweb. No sweat. Let's face it, we all want to get the best tools without going broke. With me that has led to veritable smorgasbord of reloading tools. I have something from all the typical manufacturers. When it comes down to it we are all on the same side (if somehow the Feds want to abolish reloading, for example!)

retread
03-22-2016, 09:47 AM
I am guilty of complaining about Lee not putting the "last" touches on some of their products (like a set screw to hold the sprueplate screw from backing out) but like many others, the price I pay for many Lee products make it well worth the effort to make necessary modifications. I also agree that Lee is one of the most innovating manufacturers of reloading equipment. Yes, I will continue to grumble about their lack of "follow through" on occasions but will continue to look at their new offerings with great interest. Just my 2 cents.

mdi
03-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Big difference between being a hater and complaining/whining about Lee products. A Hater goes to great lengths to down grade every Lee product mentioned while a complainer will just single out a "defect" in a product (or his inability to make it work). It has been going on for so long that it seems to be automatic to jump on the Hater Bandwagon, perhaps one needs to be a part of something. Many, many folks do not whine about Lee each time the name is mentioned, even if they don't particularly care for Lee products.

Nope I ain't gonna look for that FCD! Actually, I have no problems with FCDs as I disposed of mine appropriately, IMO. What I dislike is new reloaders being told to fix their chambering problems with an FCD rather than fixing the problem, as learning to adjust dies...

VHoward
03-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Nope I ain't gonna look for that FCD! Actually, I have no problems with FCDs as I disposed of mine appropriately, IMO. What I dislike is new reloaders being told to fix their chambering problems with an FCD rather than fixing the problem, as learning to adjust dies...
My exact beef with FCD's. Learn how to properly adjust your dies using a case gage as a guide and you won't have problems with chambering. Even with cast bullets.

3006guns
03-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Looks like an interesting new product and something I may have to try. I notice in the description it mentions comfortable operation "especially for older hands". Sounds like age discrimination to me!

Good.......'bout time someone realized that some of us get arthritis, like it or not! :)

dragon813gt
03-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Looks like an interesting new product and something I may have to try. I notice in the description it mentions comfortable operation "especially for older hands". Sounds like age discrimination to me!

Good.......'bout time someone realized that some of us get arthritis, like it or not! :)

It's not just you old geezers ;)

My elbow kills me after using a LAM or Star sizer. Bought the Star specifically so I can run it off air. Won't have any elbow pain after that :)

OilyPablo
03-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Yes super easy to operate.

castalott
03-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Ok...I'll be the first....There is good and bad about my new Lee bench prime...

The good...I like it! It works well and has plenty of power. It is fast and fun to use!

The bad....It primed 18 cases and broke. Maybe I short stroked it. Probably operator error...
Another thing....The fold over primer chute is too cute by half. The little lock tab 'locks up' and won't move.

I'm gonna stop here until I cool off......

Walter Laich
03-27-2016, 10:21 AM
so now the truth appears.....

jmort
03-27-2016, 10:34 AM
^^^"Probably operator error..."

Nice to see that some at least consider this possibility as opposed to assuming some other cause.

OilyPablo
03-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Ok...I'll be the first....There is good and bad about my new Lee bench prime...

The good...I like it! It works well and has plenty of power. It is fast and fun to use!

The bad....It primed 18 cases and broke. Maybe I short stroked it. Probably operator error...
Another thing....The fold over primer chute is too cute by half. The little lock tab 'locks up' and won't move.

I'm gonna stop here until I cool off......

With or without the magic rubber o-ring?

jmort
03-27-2016, 10:46 AM
I finally removed the O-Ring, but if you fully upstroke, the O-Ring is not a problem.

castalott
03-30-2016, 03:01 AM
With or without the magic rubber o-ring?

Without.....I really want this system to work.... I like options.. and I really don't know what happened...

trixter
05-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Manufacturers cannot make anyone read their instructions and surely cannot make anyone follow them. My last session with my Lee Bench Prime I dumped 100 Winchester small pistol primers in my tool, and proceeded to prime 100 Speer 9mm cases, non stop, without one single problem. But then again, I read and re-read the instructions...

You are a man after my own heart.

Whiterabbit
05-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure I like this priming system.

Reason is twofold.

#1, I cannot feel the primer seat. I can feel the primer seat when I use my RCBS RS press, and my LEE hand primer.

#2 it has ALOT of seating force capability. Enough that I can munch the case rim in the shellholder and put marks in it. This does not happen on my RCBS RS press. Unfortunately, the distance between not enough seating force and a munched rim is really short, and combined with a lack of good feel, I will end up with a series of rims with marks.

This would not normally bother me, but as I get into progressive reloading, it causes a problem with the case feeder, which works on friction and gravity. So when the case hangs up on a mark on the rim lip, now I get machine jams. NOT good.

I will keep using it a bit more, but I'm not convinced it is the best product. The only reason I haven't given up on it is because to use my RCBS RS press to seat primers is painful with respect to setup, forcing my hand with the LEE bench prime.

So far, 2 or 3 out of 5 stars. Maybe that will rise if I work the bugs out.

OilyPablo
05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Mine continues to work fine. "Feels" ok to me. No going back to my RCBS hand primer yet (which is now my back up)

EDG
05-06-2016, 12:08 AM
So many of us were successfully loading without any problems long before Lee came along. I wonder how we did it.
If Lee releases a tool that has superior merit I will use it. If it doesn't then I will throw rocks at Lee. They are supposed to get it right the first time without using customers as beta testers.

mold maker
05-06-2016, 11:17 AM
No product is fool proof. The LEE bench prime performs as intended when used as intended.
LEE nor anybody else can predict all the ways you and I can mess things up. Short stroking any piece of loading equipment is a no no. At least the fix is painless.

mdi
05-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Getting close to 800 cases primed with my Lee Bench Prime. To be very truthful fellers, I cannot understand how one cannot feel the primer hitting bottom. And I haven't had the need to use enough force on any priming tool to ding/bend a case rim. All those that degrade Lee for "not having quality control" or "using customers as Beta testers" seem to have much more experience or information about the bench prime than I do (even those that do not own one). All I did was re-read the instructions and have stuffed prolly 600 primers in cases with no problems...

OS OK
05-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Getting close to 800 cases primed with my Lee Bench Prime. To be very truthful fellers, I cannot understand how one cannot feel the primer hitting bottom. And I haven't had the need to use enough force on any priming tool to ding/bend a case rim. All those that degrade Lee for "not having quality control" or "using customers as Beta testers" seem to have much more experience or information about the bench prime than I do (even those that do not own one). All I did was re-read the instructions and have stuffed prolly 600 primers in cases with no problems...

Well…You certainly said a mouth-full there. You 'Lee defenders' seem to run in droves…It is qurious though, You don't see threads where RCBS bench mount priming system users spend this much or any time at all, defending their machines…do you? There are solid reasons for that…sorta like the solid engineering that goes into those systems.

OS OK

historicfirearms
05-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I like my Lee bench prime. I can feel the primers seat just fine. It works well. The only thing I don't like is the folding primer tray. It seems cheesy and over complicated. I can live with it though as otherwise, the primer press works great for me. I look forward to using it each time unlike my RCBS hand primer.

dragon813gt
05-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Well…You certainly said a mouth-full there. You 'Lee defenders' seem to run in droves…It is qurious though, You don't see threads where RCBS bench mount priming system users spend this much or any time at all, defending their machines…do you? There are solid reasons for that…sorta like the solid engineering that goes into those systems.

OS OK

If someone has a complaint w/ RCBS it doesn't degrade into a bashing thread. Every single Lee thread turns into bashing the brand. So people are quick to defend. If you have a legitimate complaint state your case. But people like to bash everything they make. I've been vocal about my poor experiences w/ RCBS customer service. But I don't bash the brand every chance I get.

Is everything Lee makes great, absolutely not. Is everything they make a lemon, absolutely not. The truth is somewhere in the middle but it's lost in all the noise.

OS OK
05-06-2016, 01:54 PM
If someone has a complaint w/ RCBS it doesn't degrade into a bashing thread. Every single Lee thread turns into bashing the brand. So people are quick to defend. If you have a legitimate complaint state your case. But people like to bash everything they make. I've been vocal about my poor experiences w/ RCBS customer service. But I don't bash the brand every chance I get.

Is everything Lee makes great, absolutely not. Is everything they make a lemon, absolutely not. The truth is somewhere in the middle but it's lost in all the noise.

I agree…although I'm not a basher, my shop is full of Lee products that are quality products. Some of these guys won't let a thread lay down…this guy with 800 rounds primed, "like that is a landmark and proves something?"
If you re-scan all the comments here, more and more comes out about that device that was not exactly anticipated…Yes, I do think that Lee jumps the QA guys at times and lets the users figure it out for them…that concept I can't agree with.

OS OK

mdi
05-07-2016, 11:31 AM

OS OK
I find it very irritating to read from those that consistently bad-mouth a product, out of ignorance, inability to read directions, or by hear-say. Lee Haters have made a concerted effort to show their superiority of choice by constantly complaining about Lee products, and most of the time it make little sense. Lee is one of the most innovative reloading tool manufacturers around today (when was the last time RCBS came out with a new design tool? Or are they making the same old twentieth century design stuff? [not picking on RCBS, just using them as an example]). Lee has new design tools often, and not "new and improved", but new ideas and designs. Lee is bad mouthed for using plastic (Hmmm. sounds kinda like the trash that Glock haters spewed) but in fact some man made materials are superior to the same old cast iron or cast aluminum. Lies and misconceptions seem to abound in the reloading world and if I can help a bit in bringing the truth forward I will, not just about Lee products, but I also correct old wives tales that I know are false.

Perhaps I should pity those Lee Haters as ones that have a distinct disadvantage; the inability to correctly use hand tools. I have made my living with hand tools for over 50 years and have been using them for longer than that, and I guess I just know how to use hand tools. Also being involved with the maintenance of many, many different construction equipment machines I have learned to read instructions (shop/repair manuals are so different/adverse that it's impossible to memorize any). Perhaps Lee Haters need instructions on how to read instructions?

Another Lee Hater aspect is the fact that Lee tools are not overly expensive. Perhaps some would be embarrassed to admit they went the inexpensive route with Lee tools? Or "Lee tools don't cost a lot, so they must be junk, right?".

Lee defender? Mebbe. Or one who chooses/uses tools by how well the work rather than color, cost, or what my favorite gun writer uses? Yep!

dragon813gt
05-07-2016, 02:31 PM
RCBS came out w/ the ProChucker presses. But they don't have a case feeder for it. Nothing like releasing a product and letting the customers be the beta testers ;)

VHoward
05-07-2016, 02:46 PM
I try Lee equipment. The ones I don't like, I won't recommend to anyone. Is releasing something "new" and "innovative" every year really useful? Or is it just marketing hype? Maybe RCBS hasn't released any new designs lately other than the Pro Chucker series is because what they have works? Maybe other companies continually releasing new designs is because they are desperate to gain market share? I really have no brand loyalty. I have tried many and sold what did not work for me and kept what did. As for this new auto bench primer from Lee, I wish they had come out with it 2 or 3 years ago, I could have saved myself $60. But as I already have the RCBS Auto priming tool that works just fine, I don't need the Lee version. I don't think it's cool to let your customers be the beta testers or to make your priming tools so they require proprietary shell holders. It should have been made to accept the universal shell holders that we already use on our single stage presses.

VHoward
05-07-2016, 02:47 PM
RCBS came out w/ the ProChucker presses. But they don't have a case feeder for it. Nothing like releasing a product and letting the customers be the beta testers ;)

If the case feeders are not released, then how are the customers beta testing them?

dragon813gt
05-07-2016, 02:52 PM
If the case feeders are not released, then how are the customers beta testing them?

In regards to the case feeder they aren't. But in regards to parts breaking often, they are. The press is incomplete IMO w/out the case feeder. So it was released before it was a finished design.

Does a company have to release new products every year? Of course they don't. But if someone doesn't keep trying their is no innovation. Reloading is a mature market w/ well established brands. There isn't anything new under the sun for the most part.

jmort
05-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I have two bench mount RCBS Auto Primes on Ultra Mount Plates and two of the new Lee Bench Primes. Will get Ultra Mount plates for those as well. Both RCBS and Lee units work well. But I much prefer the Lee tray over the RCBS tube. As for "feel" I am a minority in believing the feel is not much different between the two.

VHoward
05-07-2016, 05:18 PM
In regards to the case feeder they aren't. But in regards to parts breaking often, they are. The press is incomplete IN MY OPINION w/out the case feeder. So it was released before it was a finished design.

Does a company have to release new products every year? Of course they don't. But if someone doesn't keep trying their is no innovation. Reloading is a mature market w/ well established brands. There isn't anything new under the sun for the most part.
Parts on lee's don't break? Parts on Dillon's don't break? Parts on Hornady's don't break? When companies make parts out of supposedly superior plastic, parts break. Maybe the parts that are breaking are the designed weak link so more expensive parts don't break? Maybe the users are doing something incorrect causing the parts to break? Could it be that what is being seen on forums is speculation and hearsay? In regard to the prochucker, is RCBS letting their customers do their beta testing for them? Or are the customers doing something wrong causing the designed weak link to break? Can you tell that from a forum post?

rtracy2001
05-07-2016, 05:37 PM

dragon813gt
05-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Not worth it

tony4308
05-07-2016, 11:14 PM
I bought the bench primer when it first came out. I first used it 3 days ago it took 3hrs. to break. It is another piece of plastic ****. Some of there dies are ok.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

flyingmonkey35
05-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Keep in mind that ALL new products from every company have users beta test their products.

Sometimes you can sign up a and Be the beta tester.

Other times the product works great in the lab but sucks in the real world.

Anyway this thread was to discuss a NEW product put out.

This product lives or dies on feed back to the company.

So I've used mine now and I still get the occisanl flipped primer. But its user error.

If your looking for a cheaper off press pruning system.

I'd buy it.

If you can offered the rcbs I'd wait for that one.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Omega
05-08-2016, 01:09 AM
Well, I just went out and bought it, I already had the shell holder kit and $25.50 was a good price vs the others costing four times as much; I couldn't even buy a handheld for that price. Now if it will work as good as most of their other equipment, I made a good choice.

mdi
05-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Well, I just went out and bought it, I already had the shell holder kit and $25.50 was a good price vs the others costing four times as much; I couldn't even buy a handheld for that price. Now if it will work as good as most of their other equipment, I made a good choice.
Read the directions. Allow the handle to travel all the way back up, or let it "pop" back up. Insert the tray fully into the tool. You shouldn't have any trouble...

flyingmonkey35
05-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Read the directions. Allow the handle to travel all the way back up, or let it "pop" back up. Insert the tray fully into the tool. You shouldn't have any trouble...
+2 to the above directions

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

mold maker
05-08-2016, 03:08 PM
It solved the rheumatism problem in my right hand, now if I didn't have to feed it cases with the left.
It's an adequate tool, at an affordable price. No complaints so far.

Bama
07-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Having hand issues had made priming brass a little unpleasant using hand priming tools. I purchased a Lee bench prime even after reading issues some members have had. Initially had bent slider plates, hang-ups, and most of the other problems that had been discussed. It seems that most of my problems were due to the over extension of the handle. The handle is a LONG moment arm and can be over extended without realizing it. I made and installed an adjustable stop to prevent over travel and lapped the plastic slide with cerium oxide. Other than an occasional primer that doesn't want to slide down the tray, it works great (with out the stop it is easy to bend the slide plate when operated to re-feed a missed primer.

Whiterabbit
07-12-2016, 11:22 PM
I am copying your travel stop.

DougGuy
07-12-2016, 11:43 PM
I may have to try one of these. Primed 250 cases with WLP primers and I got a good blood blister on the inside of one knuckle. May have to copy the travel limiter idea.

Lee has identified a problem where if the handle is not lifted all the way, a small part of the primer tray feed ramp can break. Their "fix" is to simply remove the o-ring you see on the handle pivot.

Looks like Lee is fitting the folding primer tray to their hand primers as well. The ergo prime with the square tray is not without it's faults, primers can flip, get hung and push the cover up, 10 rounds without having to stop and reset things seems to be about it's limit and you only get a few strings of 10 out of 100 primers.

castalott
07-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Second report.... I have the new parts and am thrilled with how it works. I don't go fast but it is smooth. Once in a while it won't feed a primer but I like it....

Tonto
12-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Just back from my first session with this tool. Took my time and read directions. Priming 308 once fired, trimmed, swaged brass. Worked fine once it seem to break in. Trouble though with thin metal strip with a small down facing spring bending. Took the unit apart and fixed that, it's a bear to reassemble but it's now working. Parts seem fragile though. Strangely it also bent the rim of the case from the upward force on a couple, thing does have leverage. Like all LEE tools, you need to be patient and a tinkerer of sorts. Had a good experience recently with the service folks on the quick trimmer.

Ben
12-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Lee has many reloading tools that work great.
I've NEVER been impressed with their priming tools.

Ben

mdi
12-26-2016, 02:22 PM
I've had a few different makes of priming tools over the years and the Lee Bench Prime is the only tool that I can load up with 100 primers and prime 100 cases, non stop. I just read and followed the directions...

jmort
12-26-2016, 02:32 PM
^^^ same here

Tonto
12-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Back to my experience with the bench tool......seems it is missing that little rubber thing described in the directions, but clearly missing on mine, ( sort of a return gadget) so I've substituted two of those little rubber rings used to castrate pigs and it seems to work great.....100 for $2.39 at the Big R, a very strange day after Christmas purchase. Trying to love this tool.

OilyPablo
12-26-2016, 10:04 PM
All I have using for priming the last 6+ months. Works great!!

jmort
12-26-2016, 10:39 PM
The thick O ring was causing problems for users (not following instructions) so Lee deleted it. If you follow the instructions you can use the O ring. For most, probably best not to use it. Lee was telling callers to cut it off.

dragon813gt
12-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Lee has many reloading tools that work great.
I've NEVER been impressed with their priming tools.

Ben

I've never been impressed w/ any hand primer. I have every version of Lee hand primer. Even the original one w/ screw in shell holders and no tray. That one is perfectly reliable but obviously limited due to no tray to feed from. The round tray version works very well. The newest ones leave a lot to be desired in tray design. It's quite easy to flip a primer. But the ergo version is a lot more comfortable to use for long runs.

All the other hand primers have issues as well. I still own a RCBS but can't tell you the last time I used it. For me it's easier and quicker to throw the safety prime on the LCT and prime that way. I still haven't bought the bench prime. It's on the list and will be purchased soon.

OilyPablo
12-27-2016, 11:03 AM
I started life on the RCBS hand. Two primers into it........"THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!"