PDA

View Full Version : Fluid, somewhat quick one-handed draw using safety device?

Naphtali
01-16-2016, 09:50 PM
I have never considered acquiring any but a slow, deliberate cross-draw, followed by a two-handed grip when using my single-action hunting revolvers. Holsters' safety straps are intended for security rather than ease of drawing revolver from holster.

I am interested in learning a more fluid, somewhat quicker one-handed draw from a cross-draw holster - a holster I do not possess. Please identify non-"quick-draw" cross-draw holsters for single-action revolvers that incorporated some sort of gun security device that is both safe and able to be released by the [single] hand drawing the revolver.

If this were a double-action revolver, a thumb break would be an obvious solution. But a thumb break that engage underneath and behind the hammer spur would preclude the more fluid, somewhat quicker one-handed draw I want to learn. I hope there are shooters who have dealt with this issue successfully.

Artful
01-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I'd look for a vertical cross draw front break shoulder holster

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-16-2016, 11:09 PM
I've carried this way for years while in the field and camping. Also works great while sitting. Even behind the wheel.

As my right hand is reaching the grip, my left hand unsnaps the strap. One fluid motion using both hands. You can get real quick with it. I started it with a flap holster and a 9" barreled Ruger Single Six.

Paul105
01-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Milt Sparks HSR -- Standard cant is muzzle forward (cross draw) -- it has an adjustable tension welt.

http://miltsparks.com/products-hsr.php

Markbo
01-19-2016, 09:08 PM
A thumb break will not preclude a smooth, fast draw. It is much quicker than a front strap or a hammer thong. I have several and the thumb break has become my favorite.

kgb
01-20-2016, 07:46 PM
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-15-1920-tom-threepersons-2-to-7-12-barrels.aspx

This El Paso cross-draw shows a simple rawhide loop over the hammer that should be quick to release. I have one for a DA that uses a leather strap and snap, one handed is easy but may not be very quick with the snap closed.

Markbo
01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I have a couple of those too. That hammer hoop is much slower to release than a thumb snap. It just looks better. :D

SSGOldfart
01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
You pick up the snap on your way up,get used to drawing from the under side coming up and out with your hand,easily to do if you put your off hand into your pocket as this sets your body in position to draw.and also relaxes any push on the holster from that extra little row from your doughnuts last year.:o:grin:

rfd
01-21-2016, 07:38 AM
i just got a galco dao for my gp-100 6" and it can be used for either right hand or cross draw. does take some practice!

http://www.galcogunleather.com/uimages/product_images/holsters/belt/DAOCROSS_t.jpg

http://www.galcogunleather.com/uimages/product_images/holsters/belt/DAOSTRON_t.jpg

http://www.galcogunleather.com/uimages/product_images/holsters/belt/DAO_BACK_t.jpg

Blackwater
01-21-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm with Rattlesnake Charlie here. With crossdraw, the left hand is a lot closer to the gun than the right, so it should be no big trick to have it wipe the strap off with the web of the hand on the way up with it, as the right (for right handers) goes for the now easily drawn gun.

As to the DAO and SAO Galcos, I have the SAO for the Ruger SA's, and I'm not nearly as well pleased with it as I thought I'd be. It just hasn't worked out for me in actual practice like I envisioned it. But then, I'm not quite as agile as I used to be, and haven't really set myself to try to learn the draw with it, so YMMV, and likely will?

And the leather loops are, for my fumbledy hands at least, the slowest and least really secure retainers around. I MUCH prefer a std. strap with a long tail after the strap. Train the leather tail on the strap to stand out, and you just wipe it unsnapped with the heel of your hand as your right hand comes up to draw the gun, and it's nearly as fast as a plain open top holster with no snap. When new, the holster should be tight, but with a little time and application of some Neat's Foot Oil or Lexol, the gut should slide out of the holster rather easily, but still remain very snug in it when holstered. This is for a strong side carry, of course, but it's become my definite favorite for carrying SA's afield. Having quick and sure access to your gun DOES come in really good now and then afield, and is a must for CCW carry. All sorts of ways to skin this cat, but that's what's worked for me for a lot of years now.

rintinglen
01-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Don't arbitrarily dismiss a thumb-break cross-draw holster. Your question caused me to break out my single 7 for which I have a cross draw holster and do a little practice.
I had no problem drawing and cocking the revolver in about a second and a half while standing. My unseemly girth slows the draw appreciably while sitting, but were I a little less ample (Ok maybe a lot less) I believe that I would have no problem matching that performance while seated. I have extensively used similar holsters in years gone by for DA revolvers in the 2-4 inch range, but I have not thought to use an SA revolver for SD purposes, so until today I had not tried quick drawing a thumb break SA. I ought to run up a cross draw rig for my 44 Flat Top and see how that works.

gwpercle
01-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Check out Bianchi Cyclone , has a thumb break, can be used cross draw or strong side. I have one , a model 111 , and am well pleased with it.

Gary

RJM52
01-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Unless I am riding a horse or a dirtbike most of my holsters don't have thumbsnaps or straps...especially the holsters ued for concealed carry.

Have looked at this holster for a long time but as I don't use this kind of crossdraw much never have ordered one...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-74-11-double-agent-dual-position-holster.aspx

I do have several Simply Rugged holsters that can be worn strong side or cross draw but usually use them strong side...I do have straps on them as they may be used on the dirt bike...

Bob