PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 in .44 mag twist

Shuz
01-16-2016, 04:04 PM
I'd like to know what the twist rate is on a Rossi 92, 16" round bbl in .44 mag.The factory site doesn't show it.
Thanks--Shuz

nvbirdman
01-18-2016, 12:08 AM
According to the Rossi forum (Rossi Rifleman) all 92's have a one in thirty twist.

Shuz
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
According to the Rossi forum (Rossi Rifleman) all 92's have a one in thirty twist.
Thank you very much.

bluelund79
01-19-2016, 10:08 AM
I have that very gun, and yes, it's 1 in 30. Shoots well, full house loads get interesting after 20 or so rounds.

Shuz
01-19-2016, 11:44 AM
bluelund79--I 'spose that's due to the steel butt plate?

fecmech
01-19-2016, 12:31 PM
I 'spose that's due to the steel butt plate?
I'm guessing that and the fact that it's about a 5 3/4 lb rifle. I think a 250gr bullet at about 1700 fps would tend to get your attention after a while.

bluelund79
01-19-2016, 05:23 PM
bluelund79--I 'spose that's due to the steel butt plate?

that is absolutely correct. I did add a leather slip over/lace up cover. With Skinner ghost ring sights, it's my walk about gun when checking cams and feeders. Thumps good on both ends. I'd rather shoot my H&R trapper 44mag at th bench

bluelund79
01-19-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm guessing that and the fact that it's about a 5 3/4 lb rifle. I think a 250gr bullet at about 1700 fps would tend to get your attention after a while.

The light weight is the other reason too. Also, before I put the lace up cover on, he curved butt also was uncomfortable after awhile. Somewhere down the road, I'll cerakote the ugly metal and put a shotgun style butt stock on or shape the current one as so.

labradigger1
01-19-2016, 06:00 PM
The length of pull is short for most people and the steel crescent butt plate make it interesting shooting from a bench

northmn
01-19-2016, 06:15 PM
I think the shorter length of pull as labradigger1 mentions probably has as much to do with it as the butt plate.

DP

AnthonyB
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Shuz:
I have one waiting for the Steve's Guns treatment and a Burris Fastfire III when I get a roundtoit. NOE has the scope bases available now. I'm thinking this will be a great Alabama truck gun.
Tony

Shuz
01-20-2016, 12:54 AM
Shuz:
I have one waiting for the Steve's Guns treatment and a Burris Fastfire III when I get a roundtoit. NOE has the scope bases available now. I'm thinking this will be a great Alabama truck gun.
Tony
Tony,
Is yours in .44 mag as well? What's the Steve's Gun treatment? First, I'm gonna try mine with the Lee 200rnfp.

pietro
01-20-2016, 09:44 AM

While Steve (aka: Nate Kiowa Jones), THE pre-eminent Model 92 gunsmith in the US, will slick up a Model 92, he also sells a DVD on how to do it, along with a bolt peep sight w/safety feature, that replaces the bolt-top lawyer safety on later Rossi's.

www.stevesgunz.com

AnthonyB
01-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Shuz:
Roger; my current 92 is a 44 and seems to shoot very well. I have only used the issue iron sights so far, and it shoots better than I can see. The link pietro gave will take you to the StevesGunz website; he sells a spring kit and DVD on how to slick up the Rossi actions. I recently lost a 357 Mag M92 to the youngest son and plan to do the same action work to the 44 in hopes of keeping it. It is well worth the time required for the improvement in the action.
Tony

Shuz
01-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Guys--Thanks for all the info on the Rossi 92. I'm looking forward to playing around with my new toy as soon as the rain and/or snow slacks off a bit. As I've "matured", I notice the weather plays a larger part of whether I shoot or not!

Shuz
01-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Well guys, I couldn't stand it any longer....I took my new to me 92 Rossi with it's ghost ring site of some type and loaded a couplea 200g RNFP Lee's sized to .431 in front of 7.3g of NM-04, just to see how it would feed and if it would go BANG! Since it was raining, I braved the elements by opening up my lower deck's sliding glass door and bravely stepped out, careful to remain under the top deck, so as not to get me and my Rossi wet. It fed pefectly with an OAL of 1.600" and both rounds went bang! I wish I could say that I hit my little 5" gopher swinging target that sets about 40 yards from the house, but I heard no tell-tale clank, nor did I see it flip around like it has done at other times. Oh well, when the weather breaks, prolly by June, I'll test it on paper to see just where the sights are regulated.
As I look down on the rifle, the rear sight appears to be off to the right a little. If I have to move the rear site to the left in the dovetail, would that be to the tighter side or would that be loosening the rear site in the dovetail?
Thanks--Shuz

nvbirdman
01-22-2016, 02:42 AM
Moving the sight to the left will tighten it. Try the gun on paper before you mess with the sights.

Shuz
01-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Moving the sight to the left will tighten it. Try the gun on paper before you mess with the sights.

Thank you, that's what I plan on doing. It's just that the rear sight sure looks like it is too far to the right now. But I'll shoot'er first!

typz2slo
01-22-2016, 07:55 PM
I have a 44 on order myself. What are the bores measuring on your guns? I want to order a mold but have been holding off until I can measure mine.

Geobru
01-24-2016, 03:57 AM
I have a 44 on order myself. What are the bores measuring on your guns? I want to order a mold but have been holding off until I can measure mine.

Good plan. I don't know about the new ones, but I have an older LSI with a .432 bore.

Shuz
01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

I've never measured the bores on any of my guns. I just keep trying different sizes and/or hardnesses until I get something that works. Most of my revolvers and rifles prefer .431 at Saeco 7, so that's what I use. My Marlin 444XLR likes .432's and the Marlin's 1894's I once had, didn't like anything from .429 to .432. I now have a .433 die and nothing to try it in!

THerbert
01-30-2016, 10:03 PM
I tried one of these, with the 24" octagon barrel. the 200 grain RNFP boolits at .430, and they would keyhole at 25 yards! I made up some dummy cartridges with 240 grain semi-wadcutters, just to make sure they would feed, which they do, so I'm going to size them to .432" and see how they shoot. Personally, I don't understand why they would use the 1-30" twist, rather than the standard 1-16" that most pistol cartridges use. There's not enough difference in velocity between a 6" barrel and a 16, 20 or 24" barrel to justify it. But I may be missing something...

Shuz
01-31-2016, 10:59 AM
THerbert--I'm just happy that Rossi chose a 1:30" twist instead of the tooo slooow, 1:38" that Marlin and Henry utilize.
As far as your rifle and the keyholing problem with your 200RNFP @.430, you didn't state the hardness of your alloy nor the powder charge used. My guess, (and all that is worth), would be to drive your 240g SWC's of a hardness of at least Bhn 11, sized to .432 with 9g of Unique or 8g of Green Dot, in a .44 mag case, and see if that doesn't eliminate your keyholing issue. You may wanna also try Trail Boss in your rifle. I have had good results with it @7g behind a number of .44 cast pills.

typz2slo
01-31-2016, 11:59 AM
44 finally arrived and the barrel slugged almost .431. Looks the Lee molds I have are going to be too small. It looks like I am going to need at a minimum of a .433 boolit for it. Back to mold shopping now. I received a Lee mold from a member here that I may be putting on the Swapping and Selling section.

THerbert
01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
THerbert--I'm just happy that Rossi chose a 1:30" twist instead of the tooo slooow, 1:38" that Marlin and Henry utilize.
As far as your rifle and the keyholing problem with your 200RNFP @.430, you didn't state the hardness of your alloy nor the powder charge used. My guess, (and all that is worth), would be to drive your 240g SWC's of a hardness of at least Bhn 11, sized to .432 with 9g of Unique or 8g of Green Dot, in a .44 mag case, and see if that doesn't eliminate your keyholing issue. You may wanna also try Trail Boss in your rifle. I have had good results with it @7g behind a number of .44 cast pills.

Those were the commercially produced Oregon Trail boolits, over 6.4 grains of Trailboss. 240s are going to be softer, with a gas check, so they'll probably shoot better, I hope. Unfortunately (or maybe not!), I go through so many .44 bullets, that if I try to cast them, I can't keep up. I've been using the Missouri Bullet Company lately, they have great customer service, and the bullets are good quality. I shoot a 44-40 in SASS matches, and between matches and practice in the last year I've shot 2000 rounds of that caliber, along with all my other toys.

Shuz
02-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Those were the commercially produced Oregon Trail boolits, over 6.4 grains of Trailboss. 240s are going to be softer, with a gas check, so they'll probably shoot better, I hope. Unfortunately (or maybe not!), I go through so many .44 bullets, that if I try to cast them, I can't keep up. I've been using the Missouri Bullet Company lately, they have great customer service, and the bullets are good quality. I shoot a 44-40 in SASS matches, and between matches and practice in the last year I've shot 2000 rounds of that caliber, along with all my other toys.

In my experience there is no need for gas checked boolits in the .44 as long as the velocity is below 1600fps or so. This especially holds true, I've found out lately, in using Trail Boss. Those big Trail Boss donuts kinda act like a buffer and protect the base of the boolit. I shoot a good bit of .44's myself, and I find at the quantities I go thru, I wouldn't be able to afford buying my boolits!
When I get my 4 and/or 6 cavity moulds working in tandem, I can cast hundreds of boolits in an hours time.