PDA

View Full Version : Linotype for Deer?

chickenstripe
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
OK, I scored some linotype and was wondering if it was suitable for creating projectiles for deer. In particular 31141 in a 30-30, and 358156 in an 1894.
Velocity TBD based on loads that are accurate. I've cast a few samples, and the 31141's drop at ~164gr, and the 358156's drop at ~148gr.

I know alot of you guys use 44 and 45cal bullets that let a big hole in and out, so I'm askin about the "smaller" diameter bullets.

It seems to be hard enough to create somewhat of a FMJ equivalent bullet, so I'm inquiring into its terminal performance....

Too hard for deersized game?

I do not know the BHN, but can I heat treat/anneal lino?

Any thoughts?

waksupi
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I would use it to sweeten other lead alloys. According to Veral, linotype tends to shatter when used for hunting purposes. I have had good luck with air cooled, and water dropper wheel weights, and softer lead in ML's. The tin content of the lino is too precious anymore, to shoot it all up!

garandsrus
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Chickenstrike,

I agree with Waksupi... A little goes a long way.

The problem with straight Linotype for hunting is not that it's too hard, it's that it's too brittle. You can take a linotype/foundrytype boolit and whack it sideways and it will break in two.

A softer allow will allow some expansion and won't be brittle.

John

KCSO
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
A good friend shot 3 deer with linotype bullets and eventually went to a 1/2 and 1/2 mix. He killed all the deer but in each case the recovered bullet was in two or three pieces. The 1/2 and 1/2 bullets hung together and expanded to about 1/2" on the ones recovered. This was from a 31141 bullet at 2000 fps in a 20" model 94. In my Krag a 220 bullet of the same mix seems to expand well from the holes it leaves but I have always had full penetration and have never recovered a bullet. I may shoot my buffalo this year with one just to se if I can find the bullet.

chickenstripe
04-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately it's easier for me to get linotype, than it is to get either pure lead, or WW. I'll have to do some more scrounging!!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

That "shattering lead" issue is counter intuitive, I'll have to give one of those bullets a whack just to see it!!!

Blammer
04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
interested in trading some lino for WW's?

Baron von Trollwhack
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I shot a number of deer in the neck at 50/80 yards with lino 45-70 Gould HP bullets. I only ever found a broken fragment of the HP nose part, the rest just destroyed about 6" of neck bone. Chest cavity shots just made a 2"ragged hole on the off side. Velocity was close to 1600 Fps. I'm working now with a 357 mag and a 150 swc for similar shots using the same lino. BvT

OBXPilgrim
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
it's easier for me to get linotype, than it is to get either pure lead, or WW

I'm sure that shouldn't be an issue. Just like Blammer suggested, you make some friends & get your supply or pure and/or WW filled.

I'd much rather use a softer slug for hunting. 50lino/50pure or 2/3WW-1/3lino(or even less lino) would suit me just fine.

I would not use pure lino.

OBXPilgrim
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
it's easier for me to get linotype, than it is to get either pure lead, or WW

I'm sure that shouldn't be an issue. Just like Blammer suggested, you make some friends & get your supply or pure and/or WW filled.

I'd much rather use a softer slug for hunting. 50lino/50pure or 2/3WW-1/3lino(or even less lino) would suit me just fine.

I would not use pure lino.

The one .38 cal mostly lino slug (couldn't scratch it with a fingernail) I've connected on with deer, left a clean punched hole the same size as the entrance hole. HP's may be a different story & neck shots altogether different.

(whoops!! - so that's how that happens)

jhalcott
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
There is an alloy called Lyman #2 that can be found on this page OR a near copy of it. I use that and/or a wheel weight alloy for MOST of my deer hunting. I go with a 10 bhn alloy for the 45-70. For screamer rounds that go above 2500 fps,Lino works quite well. It does not expand on ground hogs though,so it MUST be used in an accurate load/gun

Lloyd Smale
04-24-2008, 06:23 AM
ive killed game with and have done alot of pentration testing with straight linotype bullets. Ive never seen one frature at speeds below 2000fps and i cant say the same about waterdropped wws. they tend to fracture quite easily especially a swc at the junction of the nose and first driving band.
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
There is an alloy called Lyman #2 that can be found on this page OR a near copy of it. I use that and/or a wheel weight alloy for MOST of my deer hunting. I go with a 10 bhn alloy for the 45-70. For screamer rounds that go above 2500 fps,Lino works quite well. It does not expand on ground hogs though,so it MUST be used in an accurate load/gun

jhalcott
04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Lino is supposed TO BE 22BHN,but often it is around 18 after it has been reused a few times.I've heard of it being oven heat treated to a bhn of 35 plus. I've never had the need for a hunting bullet THAT hard. Even Lino is hard enough to reach 2700 fps with most bullets, using good fitting bullets and a decent lube. I think a good FLAT nosed cast bullet, WW or Lyman#2 alloy, at or slightly above 2200 fps, is all one NEEDS for deer. We all play around with alloys, lubes and molds to get what WE want. Will LINO work ,YES. Will a SOFTER alloy work, YES!

smokemjoe
04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
In the 35 Cal. lino will blow up just under the skin. I almost a deer with lino. I didnt believe it and from now on its 1/2 hard lead - 1/2 pure lead. Joe

Bret4207
04-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Save it for enrichment alloy. WW works fine.