PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Savage 219 in 30-30.

dg31872
01-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Bought a 219 and it has problems. When I try to close the barrel with a snap-cap, it is difficult to close and will not cock. Close on empty chamber and it closes okay, and cocks sometimes. The rifle is probably the first model that came out, because it has a flat curved steel trigger guard. I do not know if the barrel assembly is original to the rifle, nor do I know how to identify if the barrel is a later model or the correct one for this receiver.

Does closing the barrel cock the firing pin? When I open the barrel with the snap cap, it launches the snap cap maybe ten feet behind me. Is this normal?

What say you experts on the Savage 219? Order a new firing pin from Numrich ?

I will not have time to work on the rifle for a week or so, there is time to noodle this out, hopefully.

richhodg66
01-15-2016, 10:02 PM
I know that at some point, they changed how the gun cocked (one type the lever that opened the gun did it and another was the opening itself), so barrels for one type don't work on the other type.I recentlt got a 220B shotgun thinking it would take 219 rifle barrels, but they're different. No problem, it's a nice little shotgun and was cheap. Could it be you have a different barrel from what the gun originally had?

Broken firing pins are said to be a chronic problem with the 219. Sorry I don't have anymore help than that. They are neat rifles, I like mine better than the various H&R single shots, though they probably aren't as rugged and durable.

augercreek
01-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Mine also spits the cartridge out about ten feet which is okay if your hunting and need to reload quickly. But 99.9% of my shooting is for fun at the bench. I wish the ejector were selective. Maybe I'll spread a tarp out to catch the ctgs.

Geezer in NH
01-18-2016, 05:28 PM
I'll bet the problem is the snapcap. The rifle ejects the empty as designed to . Take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out. Don't like the ejector it can be disabled by him.

Preacher Jim
01-18-2016, 06:00 PM
does the snap cap set level with the barrel when you cock the ejector and seat it if not the cap is to thick. have seen that one several single shot rifles.

pietro
01-18-2016, 06:46 PM

IMHO, (as posted above) your problem is the snap-cap being used (I would thin it's rim from the front edge).

FWIW:

There are different versions of Savage 219/220 single shots, and all barrels are NOT interchangeable.

There are Model 219's, 219B's 219C's & 219L's.

The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical progression of improved models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to re-cock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has one, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
If it has none, the gun can use any barrel.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition is safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.

dg31872
01-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for y'alls help. Mine is an early model, cocks with top lever. It does have a number inside the frame, three digits, and the barrel has the same number stamped on it as well, so I assume (yeah, I know) it is the original barrel.

I am beginning to think the action is okay, just really stiff. I will take the stock off and soak the receiver in a parts washer then blow dry to see if that helps.

It appears that the firing pin is rough and not rounded as I have seen on my other rifles. I am beginning to think the little rifle can be fixed and become a fun little rifle.

FLHTC
02-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Get rid of the snap cap. Deprime a fired case and fill the primer pocket with hot melt glue if you need to dry fire it and se if this helps. Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly.

Cheshire Dave
02-01-2016, 06:48 PM
I got a Model 219 as a basket case. It needs a new firing pin and ejector. It's an early model with striker. Any one know where I can get good assembly instructions? I think Numrich has the parts. Just got to get around to fixing it.

richhodg66
02-01-2016, 09:00 PM
"Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly. "

This is an occasional problem on my .22 Hornet. Happenned while I wasw squirrel hunting the other evening (still got the two I was trying to get). What can be done to fix the problem?

I keep a snap cap in mine, might have to make one with a fired case and hot glue as described.

richhodg66
02-01-2016, 09:01 PM
"Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly. "

This is an occasional problem on my .22 Hornet. Happenned while I wasw squirrel hunting the other evening (still got the two I was trying to get). What can be done to fix the problem?

I keep a snap cap in mine, might have to make one with a fired case and hot glue as described.

Clark
02-02-2016, 08:06 PM
159826159827The book "A Potpourri of Single Shot Actions" by Frank de Haas 1993 , chapter 19 is "The Savage 219 Single Shot Rifle"
159828Here the stripped receiver sits on a copy of "Gun Digest book of Exploded Gun Drawings".

I hope you don't have the L model. Replacing the firing pin in that one is no fun.

sisterjim
02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Mine is an early model 219 in 25-20. The cases are ejected from the breech about the same speed I shoot the boolits out the muzzle. The 25-20's are hard to come by. I have perfected a technique where I break the gun and slide my thumb over back of cartridge to halt it's trajectory. I also have a dummy case that has been hot glued. Sometimes the rifle will not cock unless the lever is pushed all the way over. I often loan this rifle to folks who've no got if we are spotlighting with two rifles. They take a while to catch cases and master cocking the action. I am waiting on a 12 gauge barrel showing up for it I bought from gun broker. It shoots the 86gr plain base 25740 somewhere about point of tumble and probably around 1400fps with 8grs. of ADI 2207 (H 4198). The long barrel seems to muffle the report; can often shoot two or three animals together. Took this nice hare and a few rabbits and wallabies couple of days ago.

pietro
02-04-2016, 05:46 PM

I'm impressed, that a Savage 219 made it to Tasmania...

sisterjim
02-04-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm impressed that I made it here too. Didn't get here 'til I was 40 year old batchelor. Nearly 50 with wife and three weans. Lots of barter here not much cash.

richhodg66
02-04-2016, 09:18 PM
I have a .30-30 one with a ruined barrel I intended to have lined to .32 S&W Long, but have been having second thoughts about .25-20 or maybe even .256 Winchester mag. To me, the 219 s the perfect heft and balance for a stalking/small game rifle. The .22 Hornet I have is a fox squirrel killing machine.

By the way, I think a 12 gauge barrel on a 219 platform is going to kick the absolute daylights out of you. I have a 220B in 20 gauge I have yet to shoot, but they are light guns and don't look like much fun to shoot with anything that recoils much.

sisterjim
02-04-2016, 11:11 PM
I figure I'll be able to load some lighter shells to protect the stock more than my shoulder. It has a hairline crack behind the tang. I noticed that Numrichs has a new stock might go that route if I can't repair the original. I bought some 256 dies and formed a shell or two with some dies I hacked down from 30-30 seater. I was about to send the barrel off to rechamber and found a bag of 200 new brass I must have bought with rifle. I think the light load will give me a bit more 25-20 mileage. Incidentally the 256 is marginally shorter than 25-20 I thought this might make a wee step in the throat. Haven't completely ruled out 25-35.

Mk42gunner
02-05-2016, 06:20 AM
I found a 12 gauge barrel (with forearm that matches) for my 219. Recoil is about like any of the old single shot guns; i.e. with field loads it isn't bad, but it will probably rattle your teeth with magnums.

Since I don't plan to hunt ducks or turkeys with it, not a big problem.

I wouldn't mind finding some more barrels in various gauges/ calibers, I still remember seeing one in a Seattle gun shop with five barrels in 1989.

Robert

sisterjim
02-05-2016, 02:26 PM
"I intended to have lined to .32 S&W Long"

I was looking for a barrel in 30-30 but never found. I would be interested in it if you didn't see project through. In what way is it ruined? Shot out or chambersmithing balls up.

richhodg66
02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Someone attempting to drill it for a scope mount (I think) drilled through and into the chamber. The front hole they didn't quite get into the bore. I'm guessing it could be saved if a guy silver soldered some screws in the holes (which the guy who drilled them also tapped them) and then ran a .30-30 chamber reamer in. I'm not a gun smith and don't know if that would handle .30-30 or not, I've contemplated doing it and just using it with cat sneeze loads, but I kind of wnat another in a small caliber, I have several .30-30s of various types already.

Mk42gunner
02-06-2016, 01:54 AM
I don't like the idea of a filled screw hole over the chamber. It might be perfectly safe, but what if it lets go?

Is the barrel on a .30-30 219 thick enough to drill and install a full length liner? The muzzle of my .22 Hornet is only 9/16" (rough measurement).

Robert

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 09:47 AM
I kind of feel the same way. I figured it'd be cheap enough to try, and if it didn't work out, could always have it drilled out and relined later.

I'm sure it's big enough for a liner, which is why I bought it. I also considered, and bought one, using one of these chamber inserts to shoot .32 S&W rounds through it. Haven't tried it yet.

In the end, I'll most likely have it relined, been thinking .38 Special or .357 Magnum would be the sensible choice, but it isn't really a sensible project.

Among other impulse buys I have made, I found a 20 gauge barrel that had been badly sawed off short (I think it's still well within legality) and badly painted with something. No bead on it. I'd originally thought to use it as a barrel stubb for a Rook rifle project, but have been thinking a short, open choked shotgun that can easily be broken in have would probably fit in the Givi top box on my Enduro bike, so it might have some value for trips poking around out in the country. I'll have to square up the muzzle and install a bead, but shouldn't be too hard.

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 09:56 AM

The photo is dark because it was just at dusk after sitting for 20 minutes or so. Both these were head shots (sometimes I'm better than I am) with cast .22 Hornet loads. I bought it locally a couple of years ago and it has endeared itself to me very quickly.

That WFN bullet in .22 Hornet has killing power way beyond its paper ballistics in my experience so far with it. It has kind of made me wonder whether a .32 S&W rifle would really be an advantage, I simply can't see it being any more effective on small critters and would use more lead per shot. It would have the advantage if I were to carry a pistol along of the same caliber, assuming I could develop a load that shot well in both.

Hardcast416taylor
02-06-2016, 10:09 AM
richodge66. I see from your photo that your 219 has a scope mounted. I would like to know what sort of mount was used so I might get mine done likewise. When I got my .30-30 model 219 is came with a 12 gauge extra barrel that has a poly choke type choke on it. I am looking to sell it reasonable if someone wanted it.Robert

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 11:07 AM
The mount was already on it, it's one of the side mounts Weaver made for many things and I had to move some metal between the rings to get it to clear the adjustments on the scope I used. I had a real nice little Burris 4X I got from somewhere that is perfect for this rifle and it works well.

Just for kicks and because I had one lying around, a Weaver base for the H&R rifles is the right contour for the 219, though the one I have is a hair long to clear the rear sight (can be easily cut off) so I'd think it would be nothing for a guy to drill and tap a 219 for one of those which would be better than this side mount.

The .22 Hornet would have a lot of metal to drill and tap, I'd have to look at a .30-30 to see, but I would think it could be done easily. I noticed sisterjim had a top base mount on his, he might know more than me.

Mk42gunner
02-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Mine also has the side mount, which works well enough, but the scope is off-center to the bore line.

Brownell's Weaver chart says that the #12 and #30 top mount bases are what it takes for the 219; I would have went that way if mine wasn't already drilled and tapped for the side mount.

It doesn't take a very deep hole to get all the holding power needed when using 6-48 screws.

Robert

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Some were made grovved like .22 rimfires. Not sure how that would work for .30-30, but the loads I shoot in the Hornet wouldn't shake one loose with that set up.

Clark
02-08-2016, 04:28 AM
The 219 L has tip off, but I drilled and tapped it anyway, as I did some really hot 30-30 loads in it.

sisterjim
02-08-2016, 06:08 AM

"I noticed sisterjim had a top base mount on his, he might know more than me."

All I know I gleaned from here. The base is for a TC Encore from CCOP, I fitted it by rubbing it on emery paper that was layed on top of the breach. I used Goodsteel instructions from his sticky in gunsmithing section to the letter and sweated on the base. It has held for a year hot and cold; not heavy loads but reassuringly solid if you tap it.

jimb16
02-08-2016, 10:15 PM
I've got a 220 20 ga. and found a 219 .30-30 barrel for it. The combo works just fine. I shoot a 150 gr loverin for general target work and get 50 yard groups just under 3/4 inch. I'm thinking about a light load with a round ball for squirrels. Anyone tried that?

richhodg66
02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I've got a 220 20 ga. and found a 219 .30-30 barrel for it. The combo works just fine. I shoot a 150 gr loverin for general target work and get 50 yard groups just under 3/4 inch. I'm thinking about a light load with a round ball for squirrels. Anyone tried that?

As luck would have it, I hinted to the wife and she picked up on it, that I wanted a pretty little 220 in a local shop for Christmas, then today won a .30-30 barrel for it on gunbroker. Seems a .30-30 is one of those things I always have room for one more of. The barrel I won won't work on my 219s (doesn't have that little stud that cocks it on the 219). I hope it shoots as well as yours.

A while back, I tried some wadcutters designed for the .32 S&W Long I cast up in an old H&R .30-30 with five grains of Bullseye and it was pretty much one hole accurate at 25 yards, definitely good enough for small game. I'd guess a round ball would work just as well, maybe better.