PDA

View Full Version : I have a whole bunch of brass sprinkles to figure out what to do with...../

Harry O
01-15-2016, 05:11 PM
They are from .32 H&R Magnum brass. I have been using about 500 cases from Federal since back in the late 1980's. Originally, I had problems with them splitting after one or two reloads. Seems that Federal had a brittle batch of brass. I quickly learned to anneal the necks immediately after shooting them. That almost ended their splitting. However, through the last 25-30 years, there has been the inevitable losses. The number has dwindled enough so that I figured it was time to break open the packs of brand new Starline brass I had accumulated over the years (about 350 to 400 of them).

In loading them, I noticed that the location of the crimp groove on the bullet was all over the place compared to the top of the case. I started checking the case lengths and found that about 1/3 of them were the same length as the Federal, between 1.070" to 1.075". About 2/3 of them were from 1.092" to 1.110". Obviously a problem; 0.020" to 0.035" too long. Interestingly, there was absolutely no brass between 1.075" and 1.092". It wasn't sloppy tolerances. They were made two different lengths. The headstamp is correct; they are not .327 Magnum brass. I have been trimming them to 1.070". About halfway done. Will finish them this weekend. It is usually nice to get extra for your money, but not this time.

I will probably have enough brass sprinkles left over to make 3 or 4 extra cases. Any better ideas for it?

Nueces
01-15-2016, 05:29 PM
They'd look pretty sprinkled on meatloaf.

Bullwolf
01-16-2016, 01:35 AM
You could sprinkle the brass shavings into some Devcon Epoxy to help strengthen it. Some people swear by this practice when bedding a rifle stock.

Have heard others also do this with JB weld to improve it's strength.

- Bullwolf

.22-10-45
01-16-2016, 02:23 AM
Load e'm up in a shotshell & fire into wall of a cave..then sell it as a gold mine!

azrednek
01-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Years ago here in Phoenix a couple of pranksters put what the newspaper named "tiny brass specs" into holes that had been drilled in a mountain for blasting. Nearby residents were po'd and triggered numerous calls to the mayor and councilman's offices. Notices were posted that blasting would begin at 8:00AM but it started about 6:00. The newspaper article didn't say anything about the source of the so-called brass specs but I suspect they came from a hand loaders bench seeking revenge for the early wake up calls. According to the newspaper article drilling and blasting was delayed a few days after workers discovered what they thought was gold dust.

44magLeo
01-23-2016, 03:06 PM
If you have been collecting them over the years, I might assume the length differences are because of different lots. Are the cases that are the same length are probably from different lots than the longer cases.
Leo

William Yanda
01-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Didn't someone here suggest them as a substitute for brass wool in removing lead from a barrel?

bangerjim
01-23-2016, 07:08 PM
I turn a LOT of medium hard brass bar stock in my metal lathes making parts for clocks and antique scientific instruments. I have a large box full of your "sprinkles" that weighs over 45#! The brass alloys I use do not string, but come off the cutters in tiny slivers and "sprinkles" as you describe them. Guess I need to haul that box to the scrap yard some day and sell it.

And the milling machines crank out a bunch also.

Only certain alloys of brass makes "chore boy" curls of brass. I have another box of about 15# of that stuff!

banger

dragon813gt
01-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Keep them until you have enough to take to the scrap yard. I don't let most metals go to waste. Even get money from the wheel weight clips and dross. Not a lot but every little bit helps.

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Disappointing to hear of that QA problem with your .32 H&R brass from Starline.

I bought 500 .357 mag brass from Starline about 5 years ago. It was a single batch. I started to cut them to consistent length. After about 200 I gave up. All were perfectly the same length.

I am into loading some 500 .45-70 brass from Starline that I got about two months ago. So far, I've not noticed any differences in case length, but it would be based on consistency in crimping.

I suggest you contact Starline about your issue. They are good, and would likely make things right.

BNE
01-23-2016, 09:18 PM
If you have a hole in your workbench that needs filling, you can mix the sprinkles into some epoxy then fill the whole. Sand it down and you have a sparkle finish to your work station. I have seen this done on wood bowls and it is pretty.