PDA

View Full Version : How To Ship A Reloading Press

beeser
01-15-2016, 10:29 AM
The following eBay link shows an excellent way to ship a reloading press. The press is interesting too. Crating is toward the end of the series of pictures.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CH-MARK-V-FIVE-AUTO-CHAMPION-PROGRESSIVE-RELOADING-PRESS-C-H-C-H-Va-CHAMP-/301848205286?hash=item46478e17e6:g:y~EAAOSwX~dWkB3 E

seagiant
01-15-2016, 01:57 PM
HI,
Ha! That's funny!

That packing job is a LOT more than 99.9% of people are going to do around here!

I got a STAR Universal in the mail and the box was ROUND and the loader almost falling out of the bottom!

The one thing I try to insist on is a hard bottom in the box if nothing else!

Heavy metal will beat the box to pieces from inside out!

jmorris
01-15-2016, 02:08 PM
I just received a new press today. The fellow I bought it from just put the original shipping box inside another box. I likely would have just shipped it in the original box myself.

beeser
01-15-2016, 02:51 PM
I received a press that was housed in a similar wood crate and the shipper was embarrassed by the craftsmanship that went into it. The crate was so nicely done that I use it as a display stand. Oppositely I've received presses that UPS had to hand me the pieces because the box broke open. Dillon probably does the nicest job when it comes to packaging by a manufacturer based on what I've seen. Everything is packed in form fitted styrofoam.

W.R.Buchanan
01-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Yes the original box is the best way, and Dillon's is great because they use Liquid Foam to form fit to the contents.

I save boxes like this, and I also save boxes that my guns come in.

The thing is that all of this stuff will eventually be sold off, and shipping it to the new owner is best done in the original boxes.

fi you are shipping something like a large shotshell Reloader like a Spolar and you don't have the box, then bolting it to a piece of plywood and then finding a box the whole thing will fit into and then fill it with peanuts or those air filled bags or rags or whatever to keep it in place, is the way to go.

My wife ships stuff she sold on Ebay every day and we are getting pretty good at packaging stuff so it makes it to the destination.

Something to think about in our old age?

Randy

fng
01-16-2016, 08:27 AM
easy way to ship a Star, etc-
5-gal bucket.

WFO2
01-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Same thing happened to me . I bought a Spar T off ebay and it came in a flat rate box with a big hole in the end where the press punched through . Lucky for me it was all there and not broken .

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-18-2016, 01:30 AM
I bought a single stage press from another member on here. He wrapped the press in a heavy duty trash bag, put it in a box, and filled the box with low expanding foam. After it was done expanding and "hardened", he cut off the excess, closed the box and taped it up, really well. I thought that was pretty clever.

triggerhappy243
01-18-2016, 01:59 AM
I joke with USPS and UPS. I tell everyone these guys play football with the packages before delivery.

Hardcast416taylor
01-18-2016, 02:52 PM
I won`t even attempt to explain what I did to ship an RCBS 22 lb. melt pot once.Robert

troyboy
01-18-2016, 03:16 PM
If this is something you need to be told, you have no business on this forum. Really? Where has commen sense gone?

noylj
01-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Bought two Dillon 1050s on eBay. The guy with one of them built a custom wood packing case for it so it arrived bolted down to a base plate and was completely assembled.
The next one came completely disassembled and was just a pile of parts.
I know who I really appreciated.

bedbugbilly
01-18-2016, 09:08 PM
I can tell you how NOT to ship one. I bought a vintage RCBS Jr3 from a guy out east who had it listed on flea bay. The idiot put one turn of bubble wrap around it and then packed it in a light weight shoe box. I kid you not! When I got it, the box was pretty well torn up, he had removed the handle and that was sticking out of the box - I don't know what kept it from falling out . . AND . . .the box had been dropped on the pivot block for the ram where the handle screw it . . bending the handle hole completely out of round. When I took him to task about it . . . his reply . . "you should have insured it" . . but funny thing was, he different offer the insurance nor would he reply to my messages inquiring about it before I paid for it. So, I paid for it . . in more than one way. All I can say is it's a good thing the jerk lived out east and not across the street from me . . . . grrrrrrrrr