PDA

View Full Version : Magnet to dampen scale

abunaitoo
01-14-2016, 10:53 PM
I have two old Redding scales.
Both in the swap and sell, but probably not sell.
One is oil dampened (what a mess), the other is not dampened at all.
I'm sure others have old un-dampened scales sitting around.
Is there a way to add magnets to dampen them??????
Is there another way to do it?????

bangerjim
01-14-2016, 11:42 PM
You can use magnetic dampening by placing a strong magnet near a copper plate fastened onto the scale. It is amazing to feel the "drag" created by a non-magnetic copper plate when moved across a STRONG magnet. The eddy current effect is what generates electricity when you pass copper wire thru a magnetic field....a generator!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current

I have a couple of high end lab scales that are dampened in that manner. You will have to play around some rare earth magnets and copper plates.

banger

troyboy
01-15-2016, 09:56 AM
They will sell if priced right

01-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Hi Troy - This will work on some of the old oil damped or undamped scales but only if the beam is completely non-magnetic.

Some are completely non-magnetic but a few do have some attraction and will skew the reading.

troyboy
01-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello. Got a few more scales. Forget about trying to dampen these scales with magnets. Once again,if priced right they will sell.

W.R.Buchanan
01-16-2016, 04:24 PM
If you put your thumb on the scale where the pointer of the beam points you can roll your thumb into the beam as it goes by and stop the vast majority of bounce. It takes a little practice but it can be learned in a couple minutes.

I've had a #1 Redding scale since 1971 and have been doing this for about as long. it is simple to master. No need for magnets or oil or anything else.

Randy