PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever have an ankle replaced

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2016, 08:22 AM
my right ankle from a previous injury is full of arthritis and is bone to bone and locks up on me all the time. I saw the foot doctor yesterday and he said its so bad that the only fix is either to fuse it so it cant move or an ankle replacement. I think I about have to do the replacement or even walking in the woods will be out of the question. I didn't even know till about a month ago that they did ankle replacements. Looks like there scheduling me for about this time next month. One down side to it is the pain I have radiating from my ankle right up to my knee is bad enough where it at least takes my mind off of my back pain.

Wayne Smith
01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Praise God for small blessings, Lloyd! I have not heard of that procedure either.

Bulletnut
01-14-2016, 09:16 AM
i had an ankle destroyed in an accident when I was 22. l put up with it for 30 years until I could not stand the pain any longer and had my ankle fused. Best thing I ever did. I can now walk ok and have no issues. My doctor did not recommend replacement, he said the failure rate was too high. Just my opinion.

bedbugbilly
01-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems as things such as that are no fun at all. I've heard of such a thing as the replacement but haven't known anybody that has had one. If you are worrying about it, you might want to get a second opinion on it from a good orthopedic person? Or at least talk with someone who has had the procedure versus the fusion process?

I have problems with both feet due to having diabetes for 50 years - neuropathy in my lower legs as well. Last year, I had a sever infection in my left foot which started from a small blister - even though I check my feet several times a day and am very careful. I ended up having to have some infected bone removed from the left foot and after a year now, the foot has finally "adjusted" to the loss of the bone they took out. I now have to have a brace on each lower leg that extends under the foot . . . but I can't complain as it allows me to be more steady on my feet. It's heck getting old . .

My prayers are with you that the surgery will be successful and that you'll have a quick recovery from it and be able to be pain free. Keep us posted on it if you would . . . I'd like to know more about the ankle replacement procedure. Do what they tell you and don't push it until you are fully recovered . . . I'm sure some physical therapy will be involved as well. Good luck to you!

nagantguy
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
My best friend from growing up had both ankles replaced due to an accident, we've shared 2 or 3 elk camps since and deer hunts and remodeled a house together. He says the therapy is a must after even though it hurts, he is about 40 like me and says if his inactive for a few days(he travels for work) they get stiff and sore but if he is active and does his stretches and exercises they are about 90-95% as good as his "issued" ankles. Wish the best to you what ever you decide.

opos
01-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Both my Wife and I have had some fairly involved "body and fender" work done..knees,necks,backs, etc and if I may..one suggestion..get an opinion from a fully board certified Orthopod at a teaching hospital in a major city...We have a friend that had shoulder problems and grabbed the first opinion and the surgeon made an irreversable mess out of his shoulder...he's had 3 more surgeries to try and correct the mistakes and it's not working...I was not aware that ankle replacement was a "mature" procedure...I'm really anti internet on things like this and pro the latest up to date information from a quality teaching hospital..

Good luck.

Boaz
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
I had my right ankle fused 6 years ago .....it was wore out . I asked about the ankle joint replacements and the surgeon said not to do it , they have problems with them and they don't last long anyway . My info is old though , lot of progress could have been made .

Had the fusion , recovery takes a while but I have never regretted having it done . No pain at all any more .

leeggen
01-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Seems it is about the same with the pain as in knee and hip replacements. Some come out of surgury and take tylinal and others have alot of pain for a while then it stopps hurting. Of corse I was the one that the knee surgury hurt like bad. But dad had both knees and a hip with very little pain. Ankles seem to follow that path, as stated before get second opinion and select a highly rated orto.
CD

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2016, 06:48 AM
heres what the doc told me. He said he has done 20 of them and only one was a bad deal and that was because the guy refused to do his theropy. He said there was a high failure rate in the older designs but the newest ones have over a 90 percent success rate. I originally fell off a ladder and got my foot caught in a rung and it twisted my foot right around backwards and broke every bone in my ankle. When the old local doctor set it he did a poor job and my foot towed out to the right a bit. Walking like that pounded on my knee and causes lots of pain.

Its been 20 years since this happened and between the pain in my ankle and my knee many days I just cant walk. the surgeon said he could fuse it but to completely re break all the bones and then straighten it and fuse it would just cause more problems. He said in cases like mine where the ankle is completely full of arthritis and has no cushion left between the joints he would about guarantee id still have lots of pain and the lack of mobility in my ankle would no doubt put even more stress on my knee and id end up back there getting a knee too. Ive had 5 back operations now and still live with constant back pain.

I got it to the point where I can leave the narcotics alone in the last couple years and now this has flared up so bad that I'm back on them and I just don't want to live the rest of my life chewing on oxycodone and morphine. So the decision is a no brainer for me. What really made the decision is this hunting season I spent about half of it at camp because I couldn't walk to my hunting spot. I WONT do that again. If your young PLEASE think about your body. Many years of racing snowmobiles and dirt bikes and my job as a lineman being so physical took a toll on this body and I'm paying for it now.

KAF
01-15-2016, 08:20 AM
I do think you have made the correct decision. Being worn out sucks, been there living with it. Youngins need to listen to the old and decrypted.

KAF
01-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Oh Do your RE-HAB!!!

Rick Hodges
01-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Good luck LLoyd! Trust your Doctors and do what is needed. Getting old in not for sissies!

Boaz
01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
heres what the doc told me. He said he has done 20 of them and only one was a bad deal and that was because the guy refused to do his theropy. He said there was a high failure rate in the older designs but the newest ones have over a 90 percent success rate. I originally fell off a ladder and got my foot caught in a rung and it twisted my foot right around backwards and broke every bone in my ankle. When the old local doctor set it he did a poor job and my foot towed out to the right a bit. Walking like that pounded on my knee and causes lots of pain.

Its been 20 years since this happened and between the pain in my ankle and my knee many days I just cant walk. the surgeon said he could fuse it but to completely re break all the bones and then straighten it and fuse it would just cause more problems. He said in cases like mine where the ankle is completely full of arthritis and has no cushion left between the joints he would about guarantee id still have lots of pain and the lack of mobility in my ankle would no doubt put even more stress on my knee and id end up back there getting a knee too. Ive had 5 back operations now and still live with constant back pain.

I got it to the point where I can leave the narcotics alone in the last couple years and now this has flared up so bad that I'm back on them and I just don't want to live the rest of my life chewing on oxycodone and morphine. So the decision is a no brainer for me. What really made the decision is this hunting season I spent about half of it at camp because I couldn't walk to my hunting spot. I WONT do that again. If your young PLEASE think about your body. Many years of racing snowmobiles and dirt bikes and my job as a lineman being so physical took a toll on this body and I'm paying for it now.

You already know it but be careful with the oxy and patches . You can end up with more trouble from them than the original problem .

fatelk
01-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I hope it works out well for you. Please let us know which way you go and how it goes.

My wife has had a lot of ankle trouble, multiple surgeries including fusion. Just this month she suspended physical therapy for financial/insurance reasons. It had been helping just a little but now in just a couple weeks it going backwards, more pain and swelling. We're just going to have to bite the bullet and spend more money on PT.

Her doctor also told her that joint replacement wasn't a good option (for her) because she's too young and they tend to not last very long. I'm speculating that if she keeps having trouble and joint replacement technology keeps improving, perhaps that might be an option for her in the future.

Geezer in NH
01-15-2016, 07:24 PM
I would go for the replacement. You can always get it fused in metal later if that don't work.

My wife had new knees put in the right fine, the left not so. 2 replacements by her Dr. failed, he said nothing can be done.

6 months later the Dartmouth-Hitchcock replacement team at Hanover NH dis-agreed and did the 3rd replacement correctly. Trust me she is just 64 now and the last 3 years have been bliss to her.

MtGun44
01-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Listen closely to what the doc, PT and/or OT techs say as far as rehab and do it.

I have had several friends and coworkers who have had joint repairs
and replacements and they universally say it really sucks to do the rehab,
but if you do it right, it will work out in the end.

Since you are already in a lot of pain, the pain of rehab (I have been told
it is pretty unpleasant) shouldn't be any worse, and should be part
time, during and immediately after the workouts.

Best of luck, modern medicine is amazing.

Bill

Blackwater
01-15-2016, 08:17 PM
All I know to say Lloyd, is "best wishes for a good and speedy recovery." It looks like many, if not most of us have had some "body and fender work," as one called it, and it's no fun. I've been awfully lucky with mine, but looks like I'm going to need at least 2 more before I'm done. There's an awful lot they don't tell you about getting older and about just when it is that we're no longer 10 ft. tall, bulletproof and immortal, but if you have a sense of humor, and a good perspective, I guess that just makes life more "interesting?" At least "interesting" is one word for it. Prayers on the way for you and a full healing.

Plate plinker
01-15-2016, 08:30 PM
I would try the replacement if all that fails you could amputate. I am not kidding.

Boaz
01-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Plate plinker has point . A prosthetic is not a 'bad' idea , no pain afterward . Having been through the options presented by different doctors I would not discount it . I have been very satisfied with my fusion but push come to shove I would deal with it and not hesitate to tell em to take it . It being useless and a torment would warrant with no hope of getting better a serious move . Talk to your doctors , family , seek council from those you value their opinion It's hard to make these decisions .

shooterg
01-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Go for it ! You won't quite be the "Six Million Dollar Man" but it's a start . Hope you'll be ready for hunting season and have this behind you .

Plate plinker
01-16-2016, 08:07 AM
I did paperwork at a local ER and was present when the trauma surgeon told a fella that ran his foot through a sprocket just that. He said you will walk in a week or something to that affect. Versus struggling with a rebuild that might go on for years.

same thing different cause.

Bad Water Bill
01-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Another suggestion for pain.

Find a GREAT chiropractor and ask him about pain pressure points.

About 30 years ago I retired and suddenly could not even hold a pencil in my right hand without great pain.

My doc told me it would take about 3 months to finally correct a problem I had since I was less than 2 years old.

The next question was "what about the pain till it is finally corrected?

I had to take off my T shirt then the chiro counted 3 ribs from the nipple and ground in his knuckle so I would always remember the spot and I still do to this day.

Rubbing that spot and the pain was gone in seconds and stayed gone for days at a time.

There are several locations on the human body that can stop the pain and many of the GOOD chiros know all or most of them.

PS

There are/were several books published showing the location of pain and the pressure points to use.

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2016, 09:27 AM
you can and in more ways then you think. When I went through that stretch that I had 5 back operations there was patches, oxy, and morphine in the house all the time. I married my wife thinking shed never be a druggy or drunk. Couldn't get her to drink a beer and she had never even smoked pot. About a year into this I started noticing my oxy bottles were going down a bit to fast of a rate and right away blamed my son. He denied it and I didn't believe him because after all who else would do it. Well I found out. It was my wife and she was addicted to them by that point. So badly that when she was caught she even attempted suicide. Shes ok now after treatment and still sees consolers to this day.

Personaly I hate the things. they make me sick to my stomach and more unconfortable then the pain does. About a year ago I told my doctor enough! Between the way they make me feel and the fear my wife will get into them again I wont have them in the house. Funny thing is when I told the foot doctor, when he was talking about recovery that I didn't want narcotics after the operation he laughed. He said that's pretty big talk but after this especially for the first couple weeks youll be begging for narcotics:D. So I guess ill just have to keep the bottle in my pocket and you can bet your last dollar that the MINUTE I can get buy without then in the toilet they go!
You already know it but be careful with the oxy and patches . You can end up with more trouble from them than the original problem .

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2016, 09:32 AM
I know that a fusion would get me on my feet much faster with less pain but even at my age I want to the ability to traipse through the woods without a limp or a knee problem a couple years from now from walking funny on it. I honestly would consider an amputation before I would a fusion.

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2016, 09:33 AM
thanks for all the well wishes and ideas guys. There appreciated.

Plate plinker
01-16-2016, 06:10 PM
no problem good luck with your decision.

1_Ogre
01-16-2016, 06:32 PM
I was hit by a car running a red light at 40MPH. Lucky to be alive I guess, but had a total right knee replacement and the guy that hit me didn't even get a ticket, go figure 8)

Boaz
01-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Remembered I had an x ray . My ankle after the fusion with the hardware and a 6mm rod up my leg bone .

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/chuckr1952/IMG_0695_zpsiwrqem5t.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/chuckr1952/media/IMG_0695_zpsiwrqem5t.jpg.html)

jonp
01-23-2016, 09:56 AM
No, Lloyd but I severely damaged my ankle at work a couple of years ago to the point I had several months off. One thing I can tell you that is very important is to not rush the healing, do all of the physical therapy and give it enough time. I didn't as I wanted to go back to work and it still hurts although I can walk on it. It will never be right again and my hiking days are about over I think. All because I wanted to get back to work.