PDA

View Full Version : Any small engine experts on the board? Need help with an old carb

9w1911
01-13-2016, 09:15 PM
I have a "Leak Jet" it needs a lot of work and leaks like a siv. Looking for advice. I decided I wanted to buy and "restore" an old snow blower with a 8hp B&S.

Wouldnt you know it, I very nice newer one is up for sale now similar price I paid for the older one, UGH.

Please Pm me I may forget to check this thread.

Mica_Hiebert
01-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Leaks gas or oil? I'm by no means an expert but I am too cheap to pay some one to fix something that I can. I got a free rototiller that sounded like a Harley Davidson at idle. I replaced the carb seals for $13 and it ran like brand new when I got done.

rancher1913
01-13-2016, 11:18 PM
just googled "leak jet" and it had videos and sites just for rebuilding them. wish I was smart enough to post links for you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Leak Jet ?

badbob454
01-13-2016, 11:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzWNmFoba0 just look at the video copy the search bar and paste on the quick reply thread , hope this helps

9w1911
01-13-2016, 11:46 PM
Yea I looked at some of the vids, the carb is leaking fuel, form what I researched it is the jet adjustment for my symptom, yet i have not cracked it open and I am afraid the previous owner just warped the needle in the jet, I am hoping it is just dirty

RogerDat
01-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Mine does the same thing, there is a fuel cut off just under the tank. I shut it off when I'm not using it so it doesn't leak. Running it does not seem to leak, or if it does it is so slowly I don't notice it. Even if I leave it sitting for a bit while I move the car.

Been meaning to fix it but..... Ran entirely different once I added an air filter cover and modest air filter. Guess they figured in the snow they did not need to worry about dust?

shaggybull
01-14-2016, 12:01 AM
Looks like you need new diaphragm. Does the carb have two sticks in gas tank. I might have parts on shelf for a fix. I ran a small engine shop 35 years ago and still have parts.What's the model number.

9w1911
01-14-2016, 03:12 AM
Briggs and Stratton 190402 Carb Off a Toro 826 38150 Snowblower

9w1911
01-14-2016, 03:13 AM
I will happily ship you some lead if we can find parts for this guy

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Carb Kit for that engine is a # 394693, still a good #. The float # 99333 , The float may have a hole in it not allowing to seal the to seat.

You will need to remove the adjustment jet under the bottom of the bowl, then remove the main jet under that to be able to dissasemble the carb. Parts are still available for that engine.

Steve, Timber-N-Turf Saw & lawnmower

PM me if you need to get parts for it.

shaggybull
01-14-2016, 01:02 PM
I'll check my parts shelf and see what I have later today.

gsdelong
01-14-2016, 01:30 PM
I had similar engine on a chipper. Mine was the float was leaking causing the carb to overflow.

I made the mistake of running it like suggested above and shutting off the fuel when I stopped it. One time it got way to hot and I was not fast enough and had burning gas all over and almost caught my woods on fire, I do not suggest that.

9w1911
01-14-2016, 05:30 PM
I had some flame yesterday out of the exhaust. I am leaving too much fuel on the drive way to shut it off every time, I am hoping that I can just fix it proper. But that is why I bought this old gal, I wanted to restore it.

I appreciate the help you guys have been great, and if I can trade for parts that is even better!!

fecmech
01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
You may have a bad float but more likely a bad needle and seat(which the float regulates). When you take it apart shake the float and if you don't hear or feel any liquid in it, it's good. Replace the needle & seat, check the float adjustment, reassemble and you should be good.

osteodoc08
01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Rebuild the carb and be done. It's not too costly and fairly straight forward.

9w1911
01-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks!!

leeggen
01-14-2016, 09:22 PM
At one time I worked for a shop that did small engines. We would get several in with that problem, come to find out people were blowing the fuel line out with compressed air which would colapse the float, imagine that.
CD

9w1911
01-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Ha, the guy I bought it from just replaced the fuel line!!!

Down South
01-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Didn't read all the replies but sounds like a float problem.

shaggybull
01-15-2016, 02:05 AM
You may need to adjust the float setting. Take the carb apart the float needle slides onto the float with a wire clip. Could be clip is off float. Or you may only need adjust tang on float to make it shut off. I have spare float if yours needs replaced, or carb kit.

9w1911
01-15-2016, 02:15 AM
I am really appreciative of all the help!! This website never ceases to amaze me.

A pause for the COZ
01-15-2016, 05:01 AM
I gave up long ago trying to rebuild carbs. Sure seems simple enough but my success rate is maybe 10%.
Ebay is your friend. Once you figure out the model # for the carb. Type that into a Ebay search.
Bingo! Last one I did was for a 5 horse Tecumseh on a snow blower. $17.50 and free shipping latter you have a good running small engine.

9w1911
01-16-2016, 01:18 AM
Yes it seems there are some affordable model numbers that will fit my engine on Ebay, I would like to try to rebuild first to save some money, even if I am saving 30.00, however I do like the feeling of a job well done.
The Ebay option is a nice back up however.

rondog
01-16-2016, 01:32 AM
No relation to your problem, but while you're tinkering make sure the gas cap gasket is good. The cap gasket rotted away on my mower once and nearly drove me insane trying to fix it. The cap would seal against the tank neck and not vent, the engine would vacuum lock and die.

Depending on how much gas was in the tank, it might run 2 minutes or long enough to mow the whole yard. Ran great until it built up enough vacuum in the tank to stop the fuel flow. Just like sucking on a soda bottle until the pop stops flowing.

Stupid thing made me crazy until I figured it out, but I pretty much rebuilt the whole mower trying to find the problem.

9w1911
01-16-2016, 02:34 PM
I will look at that too, I am sure it could be replaced. The blower is from the 80s :)

jonp
01-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Rebuild the carb and be done with it. I had two old Noma Canadiana Snow Blowers, the ones with tracks instead of wheels, and both had the same problem. I just rebuilt the carbs and they ran like tops. BTW: I highly recommend tracks on a snowblower. Those things would climb a snowbank without stopping

9w1911
01-16-2016, 07:37 PM
A member here is shipping me a rebuild kit and other members have offered to help out with other parts and advice. I am hoping to get to the blower tomorrow, drain the gas from the carb and at least clean the jet. Hopefully that will help while I wait for the build kit.
Mine has wheels, I like wheels because I can pop it in neutral and wheel it around easily. But I am a but jealous of neighbors and their very nice track driven Honda. Man those are nice machines. I will be happy thought to get this old bird running nice again it does do a good job once the stars are aligned at it runs. LOL

Funny you should mention the snow banks, they are getting high here and I may need to drive the blower up there and shrink them a bit.

too many things
01-16-2016, 08:07 PM
not sure where some came up with a "float" That carb don't have one. the problem is the flat thin rubber gasket most likely has holes in it , or has dried out . Its not fixable
make sure the throttle link hook up is free. its the part where the little rod on the gasket is attached with the L shape rod.
most only had one jet. make sure the tip is clean. if it has corrosion on it, the carb is history. you can not clean the inside where the jet seats.

6bg6ga
01-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Page 43 of the operators manual for the 826 and 1032 snowblowers right middle picture shows the float bowel cover. Yes, it does have a float, needle and seat that are removeable and replaceable. I had two of the 8hp engines on two different basket cases and used the drive tranes to make one good snowblower and replaced the 8hp engine with a new 10hp model. Adjustment of the high speed jet as follows... turn high speed jet clockwise until it seats gently and then counter clockwise 1.5 turns. Turn idle screw clockwise until it seats and then counter clockwise 1.25 turns. This will get you in the ball park for starting and running high speed and adjust both as needed.

jonp
01-17-2016, 07:50 AM
"Funny you should mention the snow banks, they are getting high here and I may need to drive the blower up there and shrink them a bit."

I did that a couple of times. I also drove up a snowbank onto my porch roof and snowblowed it instead of shoveling it.

9w1911
01-17-2016, 05:35 PM
I really need to work on this guy, but another 12in or so tonight so I dont want to crack it open, bugger something up and be stuck shoveling.

6bg6ga
01-17-2016, 05:39 PM
So, is it a John Deere or something else?

9w1911
01-17-2016, 07:04 PM
It is a Toro 826 snowblower with an 8hp Briggs and Stratton

BD
01-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I have the same old snowblower, given to me for free as it wouldn't start. Took off the gas tank, cleaned it out and replaced the fuel lines. I rebuilt the carb last year with a parts kit I bought on line. The gas lines were shedding rubber bits and the carb has a lot of small rubber bits that were partially, or completely, gone due to ethanol in todays gasoline. It's a one hour job at the kitchen table, and an hour on the machine getting the setting correct. I think the parts kits were about $12, plus a couple bucks for a new carb gasket and needle.