PDA

View Full Version : Any new on Lab Radar availability dates?

AbitNutz
01-13-2016, 06:52 PM
I have my back order into LabRadar for the next delivery. They said February. I hope this is worth the wait. I have a CED chronograph but it is such a pain in the a$$ to set up. I have nothing bad to say about the CED but if the LabRadar is as easy to set up and get going as they say, then I'm likely to use it far more.

dragon813gt
01-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Did they send you an update or did you just place an order? My patience is growing thin at the moment. Received an email about backordered parts and they said delivery around Christmas. Haven't heard anything since.

AbitNutz
01-13-2016, 07:33 PM
I placed my order about a month ago and they said realistically it will be February. I hope we're still on track for that.

country gent
01-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Acordding to the US distributor for Lab Radar My order was place August 8th last year and Im in line for the febuary delivery now. I waas originally told september then it moved back to december now its febuary. While hopefull for this Im not holding my breath.

AbitNutz
01-14-2016, 02:26 AM
Well that is certainly a depressing chain of events. I sent them an email asking if it's still February...here's hoping.

AbitNutz
01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
I knew I shouldn't have written them...now they say according to my order number...I'm looking at April. This is starting to smell like the Lyman Mag25 furnace. Man this is killing me. I could really use one of these things. The ease of setup would help me TREMENDOUSLY.

Doc Highwall
01-14-2016, 06:02 PM
I received mine last November and I am sure that there is a long waiting list to get one. I am glad I ordered one when I did, as it is very easy to set up.

dragon813gt
01-14-2016, 06:13 PM
I should probably contact them. I'm betting my order is now set for April. W/out knowing what's going on. It seems like they are funding one run at a time. Not enough capital on hand to fulfill all the orders. I could be wrong but I've seen the same thing in my line of work.

AbitNutz
01-15-2016, 10:02 AM
From everything I've read this flippin' thing is awesome. I mean it completely outclasses its conventional competitors by using an entirely different method of measuring bullet velocity. Essentially, the technology for sky screen chronographs has plateaued; the technology they use has been perfected. They're the best "vacuum tube" ever made...so to speak. The Oehler 35p, arguably the best of this breed, boasts technology years old and Oehler says there is no reason to change it as there is nothing better available. I agree with that. The Oehler is a terrific system but suffers from the limitations inherit in the sky screen based design.

I think it likely that radar based ballistic chronographs will erase sky screen systems from the market...once they actually start getting these things into the hands of the shooting community.

It's really disconcerting that the delivery times are jumping by months. When I ordered at the beginning of December they were pretty confident that the delivery date would be February. Now they're saying April. I suspect they have no real idea and are pretty much throwing darts at a calendar.

But hey...what's a needy consumer to do? There's no competitor...yet.

jmort
01-15-2016, 10:19 AM
As you all know, there are units out there and it do seem like the way to go. Another $559 gone, but seems like it is worth it. I do a lot of shotgun, and many a chronograph has been laid to rest by a wad. I don't compare it to the Lyman Mag 25 pre-production problems, as Lyman could not get the china production up to snuff. This one is already out there, working like a champ. The Lyman was a Unicorn.

country gent
01-15-2016, 12:20 PM
The military has used doppler radar for many years for velocity tests on big guns ( try getting a 155 mm sabot round over sky screens LOL). it only new to the civilian market. From my research the Canadian company making these units Is a bigmilitary supplier and those contracts come before the civilian work. I believe these units are more what we called fill in work at the plant, high use parts ( ones that had a high use rate) we could run when things were slow to keep ahead and fill in time. Electrodes for the spot welder was one of these.

jmorris
01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I decided to hold off awhile, the reviews I have read didn't really impress me. I'll give them some more time to improve what they can and work out the bugs. Once they have production keeping up or surpassing demand the price will drop as well, like everything else electronic.

AbitNutz
01-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Really? What don't they/you like about it? Most everything I've read and the videos I've seen were nothing but positive.

It's possible, we'll be hip deep in 7 different manufactures of these things before LabRadar gets caught up. Which would be great...but I'd really like to have one as soon as I can. I'm retired now and have time on my hands to play with all the different guns/loads I've thought about.

dragon813gt
01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
If it never makes it to market in volume the price will never come down. Lots of people need to have working versions before any type of price decrease.

AbitNutz
01-15-2016, 07:39 PM
The thing about it is that there is no patent or secret sauce to this technology. If some company that is already in the chronograph business wants to get into this, they can, without having to invent, reinvent or pay someone who has a patent on the wheel. Say, Oehler, Pact...whoever wants to become one of the first companies that makes refrigerators instead of one of the last companies that sells ice boxes...and stay in business there is no insurmountable hurdle to doing so.

I'm hoping that it is not going unnoticed in the shooting industry that people are standing in line and ready to drop upwards of $600.00 for this kind of equipment.

I think we've seen that sort of change, although more slowly, in moving toward electronic scales. Unfortunately, the shooting industry is not rich in electronic products, with the exception of scales and timers. Maybe that's enough of an "in" to get the ball rolling on other electronic aids.

shooter93
01-15-2016, 08:34 PM
And to think the first chronograph I had you actually had to shoot through real screens and change them with every shot.

AbitNutz
01-16-2016, 08:50 AM
I remember those! At least they didn't error out all the time and it didn't matter where the sun was AND you were supposed to shoot and put a hole in something instead of just trying to miss it.

Hey?! Wait a minute...

country gent
02-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Okay Friends, I just got an e-mail confirmation from the distributor my Unit is to be shipped today. UPS Shouldnt be much longer now. Ill get in the middle of a cold wave so it will sit awhile before I can test it.

dragon813gt
02-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Mine will be here on Monday :)

AbitNutz
02-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Oh man....at least they're delivering. I wrote yesterday and they still told me April...

jmort
02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
I am in line, and don't have a problem waiting as long as it takes.

OS OK
02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
I have my back order into LabRadar for the next delivery. They said February. I hope this is worth the wait. I have a CED chronograph but it is such a pain in the a$$ to set up. I have nothing bad to say about the CED but if the LabRadar is as easy to set up and get going as they say, then I'm likely to use it far more.

Hey…AbitNutz…Thought I might give you a 'heads up'…I said the same thing you said here…about something being a 'pain in the (?)'…yep used the same exact spelling too…and within a minute or so the 'main Man' of this forum sent me a PM via e-mail chewing me out for my use of 'inappropriate language'…even used all caps and everything, he was yelling bro! Serious!
So…I was 'awarded' 5 points in my criminal folder for 90 days…now I am the latest 'Forum Felon' and if I do it again I could be in for 'Banishment'. This guy even has the computer watching for these infractions…maybe the computer missed you this time but if you want to stay free of a brow beating you better 'straighten up and fly right'.

OS OK
felon

PS…How much is that radar?

country gent
02-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I just got the UPS notification of Friday delivery on my unit. My order was put in last august 8th . They got a shipment and they went out today.

jmort
02-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Unless production has increased, and/or orders have decreased, I am looking at July +/-
About when my Zanotti Armor safe will be finished
Should be a great July/summer.

Artful
02-10-2016, 11:39 PM
OS OK
felon

PS…How much is that radar?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph
$560 plus shipping at midway

at this point no much in the way of competitive products so don't expect to see price drops
as they fill the backorders IMHO.

As soon as a china clone comes on the market I would expect a price drop.

OS OK
02-11-2016, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=Artful;3539157]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph
$560 plus shipping at midway

at this point no much in the way of competitive products so don't expect to see price drops
as they fill the backorders IMHO.

As soon as a china clone comes on the market I would expect a price drop.[/QUOT

I expected that…good stuff aint cheap…guess its going to be 'me and my chrony' for a while longer…I better not shoot it!

country gent
02-11-2016, 12:36 AM
Shooting your chrony will give you an excuse to buy the new unit though. LOL

AbitNutz
02-11-2016, 07:44 PM
My only regret is that I didn't know about this thing sooner. It may thaw out by April when I'm scheduled to get mine. I was originally slated for February and the delivery time slipped.

To the guys getting deliveries now....when did you place your orders and did the date slip?

country gent
02-11-2016, 08:16 PM
I ordered August 8th 2015 just after they showing up on internet. Was originally told sept delivery then christmas then parts delay and febuary its due tomorrow here

dragon813gt
02-11-2016, 09:33 PM
My order number was in the high 1300s. I placed my order a day or two after the preorder started.

Doc Highwall
02-12-2016, 12:07 AM
My unit is #86 if I recall correctly, I ordered early and received mine last October.

country gent
02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Just recieved mine from ups about 2 hours ago sierial number is 000110. It is a compact useable looking unit and after reading the instructions appears easy to use and set up . But to give an idea Docs was 86 mine is 110 So roughly 24 units in 5 months. how many more are abov mine in this batch I dont know though. Just to give an idea of production numbers

Polishmike
02-12-2016, 05:44 PM
They said late Feb for mine when I talked to them at SHOT.

AbitNutz
02-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Just recieved mine from ups about 2 hours ago sierial number is 000110. It is a compact useable looking unit and after reading the instructions appears easy to use and set up . But to give an idea Docs was 86 mine is 110 So roughly 24 units in 5 months. how many more are abov mine in this batch I dont know though. Just to give an idea of production numbers

Please let us know all you can about how you like it and how it is to use. I have CED Chronograph but as I have said, it is just a pain to set up. It's also finicky about shot placement...I'd love a unit you just put on the bench, point it down range and hoot...and that's how I understand the Labradar is.

AbitNutz
02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
I just got an email from Midway saying they had the LabRadar in stock...I knew that as soon as I went there to buy it, they would be sold out...and so it was. I should have bought it on back order.

jmort
02-17-2016, 02:44 PM
I ordered one a couple weeks ago, and they are saying April/May, but probably May.

dragon813gt
02-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Mine arrived on Monday. The quality of it is very high. If it performs well then it's money well spent. The downrange feature is nice. But I really only care about muzzle velocity so I can fine tune Quickload. Serial number for my unit was in the 1500s.

country gent
02-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Dragon813qt, must have been quite a few in this batch then if yours is in the 1500s range mine was 110.

dragon813gt
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it seems that way. The serial number is close to my order number so it seems like they are moving down the list.

I have plenty of SD cards laying around. My father gave me a nice tripod to use w/ my spotting scope. Well it just got repurposed for the Labradar. Have a bunch of USB lipstick chargers laying around as well. But I will be expensing a larger one. I really need it for work but it will work well for this to :)

country gent
02-17-2016, 07:22 PM
I picked up a 16gbcard to dedicate to this unit and a 5volt 1 amp rechargeable power supply ( along with 24 aa batteries just in case) Im thinking a second power supply and ciggerette charger so If I need to I can charge in the truck. I also picked up a second 8gb card just in case. I have a tri pod set up also now but am thinking of fabing up a clamp type mount to put it on my cross sticks when wanted. I want to try it out some first before I go alot farther. Hopefully this sunday Ill get a chance to put some rounds thru the beam.

AbitNutz
02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
It looks so easy to set up, just put it on the bench, point it down range and fire away...at leas that's how it looks. No, sky screens, no light problems....I will be glad to see that all go.

AbitNutz
02-17-2016, 07:39 PM
It looks so easy to set up, just put it on the bench, point it down range and fire away...at leas that's how it looks. No, sky screens, no light problems....I will be glad to see that all go.

TXGunNut
02-17-2016, 10:57 PM
I just got an email from Midway saying they had the LabRadar in stock...I knew that as soon as I went there to buy it, they would be sold out...and so it was. I should have bought it on back order.

Same here, a little too slow on the draw.

AbitNutz
02-18-2016, 08:38 AM
I don't think it matters how fast we respond. They're going to fill back orders first...

cbrick
02-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Midway is not taking back orders on this. Note it says "Out of stock - No back orders".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

I have been following this thing since their web site first went up about 6 years or so ago after I heard about at SHOT. I ordered as soon as their web site said they were taking "Pre-orders", That wasn't until last Sept 4th. I was told Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and in January I was told that I was in the next batch they received and I would have it in Feb. I then got an email that said sorry it would be April. I called them on the phone and asked a bunch of questions, I was told that the Mfg shorted them a few units but that they did send a significant number of units to Midway and they would be shipped to them today. (that was on Monday)

I went to the Midway page (linked above) and it said no back orders. It had a link for email notifications when they get some AND they would be sold first come first served, I signed up for it. I guesstimated 2 days UPS to midway so they would have them on Wed. Yesterday morning I brought up the Midway page for the unit and checked to make sure my CC & address info with Midway was correct. Next I put on a pot of coffee and sat back staring at my email inbox. When I saw Midway in the address bar I didn't even take time to read the email, I immediately went to the LabRadar page at Midway & refreshed the page, it said in stock. I clicked on "Buy it now".

I also wanted the bench mount but Midway was out of stock on them. After I ordered the unit from Midway I called LabRadar on the phone to 1> cancel my order with them and 2> order the bench mount, that took about five minutes. When I hung up I went back to the Midway page & refreshed it, they were then listed as out of stock again. That's how fast a "significant number" of units sold out. Good thing I wasn't sitting on the throne or something, I would have missed it.

Bottom line is that UPS tracking says I will have both the radar unit from Midway and the bench mount from LabRadar on Friday the 19th.

jmort
02-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Wow, a post from the man himself. Good to see you are getting your Lab Radar. I just went right to the manufacturer so eventually, May ?, I will have mine. Also good to see you posting.

Baja_Traveler
02-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Oh Man - until 5 minutes ago I was blissfully unaware of this.... Now I'm $600 poorer.

I've been threatening to pick up a chrono for several years now since I reload literally everything I shoot, and have no idea how any of it performs other than the diameter of groups on paper.

After reading this, then going to their website, I took the plunge and ordered a unit and bench stand (Invoice 2404). Judging by the comments here, I'll be getting it for my birthday in August...

GONRA
02-18-2016, 05:35 PM
GONRA has one on Midway backorder.
Just hit my credit card (AMEX "large purchase" dealie).
So it should be here in a few days!

SODAPOPMG
02-18-2016, 08:14 PM
just got mine in this week will be giving it a workout this weekend

GONRA
02-23-2016, 06:18 PM
GONRA received LabRadar from Midway this afternoon. Need 6 AA Alkaline batteries to get started.
Comletely PASSIVE. No SCREENS or MUZZLE ATTACHMENTS are required!

Gonna take Retired Man a while to digest instructions / setting options.
Planning on using a Ruger .22 pistol to “learn.”
Was reassured to see that LabRadar staff must be Fellow Loyal SARCO Ad Shotgun News readers –
“muzzle brake” is spelled “muzzle break” on p. 13 of the manual.
Redneck Power!

ORGINALLY thought it might be a neat idea to donate one to each of “my” gun clubs
so members could check it out, use it and return since no real “setup”
is required that can interfere with other shooters.
(Gun Club would have to figgerout iron clad checkout procedure
so pricy LabRadar doesn't "vaporize".)

But, like most other modern Electronic Devices, there seem to be a zillion customized settings.

NOW believe LabRadar is best used by the owner, not shared in the above sense,
to avoid all sorts of crazy issues....

Bet its gonna verk out Great for me and my gun nut younger son,
not to mention 3 grandsons - even (apparently) for everybodies bb guns, bows and arrows.

cbrick
02-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Quite a fascinating thing this is. It captured and recorded every shot fired from 5 different guns where sky screens would have failed completely given the light conditions. About 100 rounds total and it never missed a beat. It has a lot of functions that take a bit of a learning curve but by the time my friend John & I finished we had it all figured out pretty well. Ran a 10 shot test of my much chronographed revolver long range match ammo and the results matched the Oehler 35 to a T. A plus is instead of reading muzzle velocity at 10 feet at the start screen this gives muzzle velocity at the muzzle. It also gives down range velocities, while we didn't play with that function a lot today we did learn that the 130 gr cast that John was shooting from his AR lost on average 130 fps at 100 yards.

Set up was every bit as easy as they claim. Set it on the bench next to the muzzle, turn it on, shoot. There are a few functions that need to be programed so the unit knows what you want to do but that's only a few buttons & a few seconds. For the AR that has tremendous sideways muzzle blast the only extra step that is needed is to set a blast shield between the side of the rifle & muzzle and the unit and your good to go. I've decided that out of respect for the unit that I will also use the blast shield when shooting large bore revolvers.

One of my concerns was battery life and while I wouldn't call it good they did last our entire session (about 3 hours) and were at about 50% when we finished. I am going to order the rechargeable battery pack that should last a good bit longer and then simply re-charge it.

For anyone considering the LabRadar I recommend both the battery pack and bench mounting plate. The bench plate because the unit works alongside the muzzle and if your shooting several different firearms with different barrel lengths moving it simply means picking it up and setting it where you need it. The battery pack because it wouldn't take many range trips buying 6 AA batteries each time to be more expensive than the battery pack, plus of course it should last all day.

The unit downloads all the data to a computer but not without an installed memory card while shooting and the card does not come with the unit. If you don't want to download the data the unit has internal memory that will hold something like 1000 shots. With the memory card the capacity is unlimited.

So in the mode of online retailers . . . . Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yep, you bet I would. This is the coolest thing since ice cream.

Artful
02-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Nice write up - thanks for the review

Polishmike
02-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Got my shipping confirmation today! W00t, just in time for some real load development

Jim_P
02-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Got my shipping confirmation today! W00t, just in time for some real load development

Mike, When did you order it? I'm on the fence so this info may be a shove one way or the other. Thanks.

GONRA
02-28-2016, 11:19 AM
GONRA sez cbrick nailed it. Madea crude 2 inch lumber "bench mount".
Only problem I had was accessing the Display/Parameters function.
Accidently learned to hit this button IMMEDIATELY after turning the power ON.

Will seek the LabRadar bench mount and battery pack when available.....

Looks like at least one range is gonna purchase one for general member use.
Based on such experience, wouldn't be surprised if LabRadar
eventually comes out with a "range model".
Stay tuned....

country gent
02-28-2016, 04:48 PM
I had mine out today, easy setup < I tried a small dia brass tube (.150 hole) double face taped into the sight notch to sight it. Made getting it sighted much easier than last time. Fired 62 rounds of BPCR loads over it 50 grease grooved 400 grn and 12 Paper Patched 430 grn. Got all 5 distances from muzzle to 115 yds on all but 4 rounds 4 rounds failed to aquire bullet. Velocities were good and coincided with what had been chronographed before on sky screens. I will say this is the easiest Ive ever chrongraphed ammo. Set up set parimeters and push arm button. I set it up beside my cross sticks and shot from position same as a match. First 10 shots registered 1240 fps (400 grn nasa bullet over 58 grns 2 f olde ensford) with an es of 13 fps. This unit is great set right its hands off and just does what its supposed to. I set the arm time to 200 secs ( roughly 3 mins) this gave me time to load, aim, fire, and blow tube and repeat with out the unit shutting down. The smoke wads and lube cloud didnt seem to affect it. The paper Patched loads were the same even the shreaded patches didnt affect it.

Doc Highwall
02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
I know that I love mine. It is so easy to set up is almost a understatement.

Polishmike
02-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Mike, When did you order it? I'm on the fence so this info may be a shove one way or the other. Thanks.

I ordered it around 4/15/15. Going to be here tomorrow.

jmort
02-29-2016, 12:03 AM
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago, and they are saying May. If so, they have really picked up on production.

winelover
02-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Was out back playing with it, the last two days......it is finicky with the Rossi 357 carbine. Using the "rifle" mode, it would get readings with a 158 SWC and 14.5 grains of 2400 powder. Switching to a 180 RNFP and 11 grains of 2400, wouldn't read. Wouldn't read a 115 RNFP and 6.5 grains of Unique, either. :sad: Tried those two loads, in the "handgun" mode, and still wouldn't read.[smilie=b: Not till I brought out my 6" Python, did it finally read those two loads.:confused:

Rifle mode is 984 fps and higher....both of those loads were higher than that, in the Python and well within the parameters. Tried it the day before, using a "blast shield" between the unit and muzzle of the carbine. So I'm ruling out muzzle blast errors. Worked just fine, with the blast shield, and my 308 AR, last weekend and a multitude of pistols in calibers from 30 carbine, 45 LC and a 308 W barreled XP. Seems like it doesn't like the Rossi with lite for caliber bullets nor heavy for caliber.

Winelover

Doc Highwall
02-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Winelover, I had trouble reading my 22lr out of a rifle and Richard Mouser said to try shooting it using the pistol setting because the velocities were low, and it worked. Also make sure the unit is even with the muzzle or slightly in front, and play with the offset feature.

Polishmike
02-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Got mine today and within 5 minutes I was on the range recording speeds. Easy to use and indoors it worked great even with 9 other people shooting. 162305

Jim_P
02-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Well, I got a small inheritance coming. Not much to even do anything fun with, but this just may fill that bill. I'll be able to get this and the battery pack and the case. And still have some left over for a good dinner.

Sure beats setting up screens.

country gent
02-29-2016, 11:17 PM
When a fellow club member and I can get together were going to shoot his rifle with the magnetospeed chrony on it and over the lab radar both together same shot bieng read twice. May even set up a chrony with skyscreens also three reading from the same shot. Should be interesting to see results

winelover
03-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Winelover, I had trouble reading my 22lr out of a rifle and Richard Mouser said to try shooting it using the pistol setting because the velocities were low, and it worked. Also make sure the unit is even with the muzzle or slightly in front, and play with the offset feature.

Tried handgun setting...no dice with Rossi but read everyone of those loads out of the Python. Also tried variable distances from unit to muzzle. My range is slightly down hill....but we compensate for that by tilting the unit with their optional base mount. Puzzling, in that it has no problem reading the 158 grain loads but balks at the 115 and 180 grain loadings.....using the muzzle in the same distances??????

Winelover

AbitNutz
03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Just talked to LabRadar and they said they were confident I'll get mine in April...my order number is 1987....

Polishmike
03-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Tried handgun setting...no dice with Rossi but read everyone of those loads out of the Python. Also tried variable distances from unit to muzzle. My range is slightly down hill....but we compensate for that by tilting the unit with their optional base mount. Puzzling, in that it has no problem reading the 158 grain loads but balks at the 115 and 180 grain loadings.....using the muzzle in the same distances??????

Winelover
Have you played with the sensitivity settings? Mine had no problem with 115gr down to 900fps in the handgun mode. Haven't done any rifle stuff yet.

Jim_P
03-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Just talked to LabRadar and they said they were confident I'll get mine in April...my order number is 1987....

Durn, I wonder who was 1911??? :)

winelover
03-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Have you played with the sensitivity settings? Mine had no problem with 115gr down to 900fps in the handgun mode. Haven't done any rifle stuff yet.

Sensitivity is at 1....which is supposedly the most sensitive.

Winelover

dragon813gt
03-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Had mine out on Monday. Not to happy w/ it's performance. Everything was set properly. I was shooting a NOE 403-200 out a G20SF. So it's a big bullet moving at a good pace, but not enough to warrant the rifle setting. Kept getting tracking errors. I shot seven, ten shot, strings. Most shots recorded was nine. Average was four out of ten.

No clue what was up because I was following the instructions precisely. And I was the only one shooting. I will give it another try before I make a call to them. But my initial outing was not smooth like in the videos.

Kind of upset w/ the way it lays the data out in a spreadsheet as well. All the info is there. But it would have been nice if it was presented better. This is a minor issue. I spent time copying and pasting it into another file for record keeping purposes.

country gent
03-13-2016, 09:05 AM
I taped a piece of 3/16"ID tubing 3" long into the aiming notch on mine after first use. This makes aiming the unit much easier and precise. Second time out It was set up and ran great. Getting them aimed properly is important. Also before firing make sure it is still "armed" and the blue light is on.

stillhere
03-13-2016, 10:32 AM
I ordered mine mine on 27 February and they said it should ship in April. Order number is 2502.
Can't wait to see how fast those .715 calibre lead balls travel out of a Brown Bess....and how fast I can get them to go.

jmort
03-13-2016, 11:37 AM
"I ordered mine mine on 27 February and they said it should ship in April. Order number is 2502."

I am order # 2352, so that is good news. Hope I don't experience the problems members are having and reporting in this thread.

AbitNutz
03-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Just received an email saying my unit would be shipping soon. They wanted to make sure my credit card info was still good. I called them and they confirmed they did send this email and said the unit should ship the first or second week of April.

Jim_P
03-24-2016, 09:48 AM
What was your order number? Just trying to gauge where and how fast they are.

jmort
03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
^^^ Post # 66

"Just talked to LabRadar and they said they were confident I'll get mine in April...my order number is 1987...."

AbitNutz
03-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Hey Jmort...are you sure your umber is 1987? 'Cause, my number is:
Invoice #: 0000001987

This is right off my receipt.

jmort
03-24-2016, 10:58 AM
^^^ I referenced post # 66, your post, and quoted it verbatim. Just trying to help, thought it was clear, but apparently not so much. My post, # 73 states:

"I am order # 2352, so that is good news. Hope I don't experience the problems members are having and reporting in this thread."

Jim_P
03-24-2016, 11:08 AM
So, if you invoice number is not your order number, what - call them?

dragon813gt
03-24-2016, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't worry. My numbers didn't match but I received my unit.

country gent
03-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Are we talking the units serial number or order number? they are diffrent. My units serial number is 000110 ( off the top of my head) and the order invoice number was diffrent from that.

edctexas
03-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Called them this AM re their email confirming CC info. Asked about ship date because of travel at the end of the month. He said he will guarantee shipping of my unit by the 15th. I don't know what the invoice number is. He said that the number is not that important. Sri I can compare numbers. There appear to be two shipments from Canada to the US. One the 1st week and the next the second week.

If you have ever had a skyscreen type chrony, you would have had some lost shots. I had built one years ago. It worked great until it collected a 22-250 round. The parts I used were no longer being made so I junked it rather than redesign the whole thing. So even if every other shot registers, at least this one won't get shot!!

Ed C

jmort
03-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Just got email notice, Order # 2352 shipping at end of April 2016

AbitNutz
04-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I called and they said I'm to ship in the second week of April....so about another week or so.

stillhere
04-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Got the credit card verification email today. Emails says 'shipping soon.

Jim_P
04-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Got a call from them today. Expect to ship around the 20th of April.... Whooo Hooo....

Just in time for shootin season.

AbitNutz
04-12-2016, 03:11 PM
I just got an email that my unit has shipped....

AbitNutz
04-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Tracking number says it should be here tomorrow...

edctexas
04-13-2016, 10:36 PM
Got my email confirmation. The invoice was 20xx. The shipping tracker said it should arrive on Friday. That should be exciting! I hope all the orders go through smoothly and quickly.

Ed C

ps This was my Xmas present and birthday present.

country gent
04-14-2016, 08:46 AM
WOw they must be getting caught up on the orfers now, I ordered mine in august and recieved it in Febuary.

AbitNutz
04-14-2016, 05:08 PM
It was just delivered. I got the unit, remote rechargeable battery, padded case and the table stand. All of this stuff looks really high quality. I have to get an SD card. They list a only a 4gig SD so I bet there is a memory limit that the unit can address.

As a summary glance, the unit itself looks well weatherproofed, sort of like an armored laptop. I'll report later how things work.

AbitNutz
04-18-2016, 10:35 AM
If anyone wants one...I just got an email that they are in stock at Midway...I checked and they are listed as in stock...

stillhere
04-18-2016, 10:44 AM
They asked for my credit card info back on 6 April. I responded that day and haven't heard a peep since.

TXGunNut
04-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Mine will be here Wednesday! They lasted only a few hours but that's longer than I expected.

edctexas
04-21-2016, 07:35 PM
I finally got to try mine out. First lesson learned! One needs to arm the thing before shooting. Those were the only shots that were not recorded. Second lesson. One needs an SD card if you want to suck the data out of the USB cable.

I tested 9mm, 40S&W, and 44mag using distances of 10, 22, 33, 44, and 55 yards. My target was at 15yds. The thing clocked right through the paper! It did miss a few of the 9mm at 55 yds. Very pleased with the performance. I do not know if the radar was not aligned correctly for the longer shots. I suspect that aligning for a 50yd target would allow tracking beyond 50yds with the 9mm. I will test some more tomorrow at a different range.

Ed C

TXGunNut
04-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Mine's next to my range bag, stack of batteries nearby. Stand will be here next week but I have a good tripod. RTFM Ed. It was a boring week so I got it done. Read up for a handy alignment tool. Their bigger units utilize rifle scopes but a plastic speed square seems to suit our needs for 100 and closer.

Joe C
04-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Well, someone who was going to have to wait for the June shipment should be happy because there will be one more unit available for the April shipment .
I am scheduled to get one end of this week / first week of May , according to the phone call I made .

Going to call and cancel my order tomorrow .

On Monday this past week I got a notification e-mail for Midway that they were in stock ,and immediately ordered one , even had it sent overnight (for about $15 extra) so I could play with it while I was off during the week .
Ordered It about 3 Pm Monday , had it in my hands on Tue about 11 am !!!

I was out using it a couple hours later ....

Using it with both a 223 and 308 .
I missed a few shots here and there , probably me moving the rifle around on the bench , and getting it out of position
for the unit to read it .
Could even be that the unit was not aimed 100-% correctly , and being off a little with the rifle made it miss a shot .

While I had this unit set up , I also had my Oehler Chrono set up about 15 ft down range, so I could get velocity readings from both of them .
The numbers I got from the Labradar ran from about 15-20fps higher than the Oehler .
Out of about 50 rounds or so ,a couple shots were about 25 fps higher.
(now I don't know how fast my bullets are going , its like having two watches , you never really know what time it is LOL !!!)

Seems I remember hearing that somehow the Labradar corrects for actual muzzle velocity , don't know if that is true or not .
If it is , then the numbers I got from the Labradar and the Oehler are closer together if you correct the Oehler for actual muzzle velocity .

One thing I noticed ,is that since I was shooting until late in the day , and sun coming in at an angle , I had a couple "glint" glitches with the Oehler , and as it got later , the Oehler quit working , and I was there with the Labradar for about another
45 minutes or so .

So far I am satisfied with it .
One of the main reasons I wanted it was because I shoot mostly at a public range , and it can be a pain on a busy day to try to get downrange to set up the Oehler .

I haven't tried it with a handgun yet.
I can see that if you had it set up on a tripod, and standing along side of it , it would probably be easy to get "out of position" and the unit would not pick up some of the shots.

All my shooting was done with a rifle , from a bench ,with sandbags, so the rifle was always in the same position .

Now all I have to do is remember to cancel the one I have ordered , I like it , but not enough to have two of them !!
Although it would be interesting to have two of them side by side, to see how close to one another they read .

Hopefully, one of you folks on this site will be the one to get theirs a month sooner ........

PS , the folks I talked to at Labradar said that it was absolutely no problem if I was to cancel an order because I bought one somewhere else (confirmed this before I bought the one from Midway ) .
He said it was only going to make someone else happy, to get one sooner than he thought .

Joe

Baja_Traveler
04-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Hope it's me that gets it - got the email 3 weeks ago confirming credit card and I'm still waiting for that email saying its shipped...

stillhere
04-24-2016, 11:10 PM
I saw that Midway had them, and frankly, it kind of pissed me off since I put my order in back in mid February. They say it will ship out by the end of the month, so what's another week at this point?

Joe C
04-25-2016, 02:18 AM
I had my order placed back in Feb also.
Back them I had asked the guy from Labradar about Midway showing them on the website (out of stock at that time)
He said back then that Midway had an order in long before I placed mine in Feb.

One of the reasons I ordered mine from Midway last week was because of my work schedule . I had a chance to use it last week .
Because of shift changes (dayshift/nightshift) I wouldn't get to use if for the next couple weeks .

Joe

TXGunNut
04-26-2016, 10:20 PM
My base plate came in from Midway today, will score a memory card tomorrow and hope to give it a try this weekend. I was getting ready to order one from LabRadar but got an e-mail from Midway and jumped on it quickly enough (finally) to get one last week. I'm looking forward to retiring my Chrony. A busy range is no place to be dinking around in front of the bench and I didn't get much use out of it.

AbitNutz
04-27-2016, 03:02 PM
The unit will accept 32gig max. I was warned by the folks at LabRadar that people have more luck with the slower SD cards than the faster....stay away from the 10's and get a 4. I think I paid $6 from Amazon for a 16gig 4. It's my understanding that it would be almost impossible to fill even a 4gig. I think they said a 4gig would hold 10,000 shots. However, the 4gig 4 SD card was more expensive than the 16gig 4.

Baja_Traveler
04-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Yay! Got the email today that my LabRadar has shipped! Along with the case, baseplate, airgun bracket and archery trigger adapter. I'll have it in my hot hands on Tuesday, and will be playing with it during next Saturdays BPCR match. Already have my 12,000 maH USB power supply charged up, and a whole pile of old 8 gig 4x USB cards from an old camera.
Real curious to see how far out it can see a 535 grain money bullet out of a 45-70.
May have to bring a few extra rifles with me to play with after the match...

RugerFan
05-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Got mine from today from Midway...WooHoo!! Hope to get to the range this week and try it out. This will be a welcome change from the Chrony.

TXGunNut
05-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Took mine to the range today. Major fail. Pretty sure it was operator error, it was a bad day at the range but nobody got hurt. Won't go into it now but can only assume a rapidly flashing blue diode is not a good sign.

Jim_P
05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Got notified mine is on it's way today...

Must not think it's Christmas... Must not think it's Christmas...

country gent
05-10-2016, 10:42 PM
When the light on mine flashes it a warnin it going to go to sleep or need to be rearmed depending on color.

TXGunNut
05-10-2016, 11:11 PM
It's the blue light. Haven't had time to review the manual or call but sent a quick e-mail today. Manual is very good, this is one giant step up from my Beta Chrony....but then again, it's probably close to 30 yrs old.

TXGunNut
05-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Got a quick and detailed response from Richard Mouser @ Labradar today, I think he's got the solution for me. User error, just as I suspected. He told me he suspected the Labradar wasn't happy with the memory card and he was right. Seems I bought a 2-piece memory card and neglected to put the little part in the big part. Apparently the big piece is merely an adapter. Without the little part the big part is dumb as a rock and the smart Labradar wouldn't have anything to do with it. At least that's the way I understand it, lol.
Looks to me like Labradar has a top-shelf product and world-class customer service.

dragon813gt
05-11-2016, 10:53 PM
LOL, I have a bunch of those MicroSD cards left over from old phones. Still have an adapter or two as well. But I went out and bought a SD card for it anyway :(

TXGunNut
05-12-2016, 10:32 PM
LOL, I have a bunch of those MicroSD cards left over from old phones. Still have an adapter or two as well. But I went out and bought a SD card for it anyway :(

I always say I shouldn't have bought a smart phone, my old phone was smarter than I am, lol. Have you had your Labradar out for another session?

RugerFan
05-12-2016, 11:51 PM
I've had my shiny new toy out 3 times within the last week. Only fired 2 different guns so far and the Labradar worked like a charm. I shot my .41 mag Ruger BH with 240 gn & 250 gn cast and my Tikka T3 Super lite in 7mm Rem mag with 140 gn j-bullets. Its easy enough to operate and set up is very quick. So much nicer to deal with compared to my Chrony beta.

Velocities also seemed more consistent than my Chrony. I was rather pleased to see that I only had a 9 FPS spread on my 7mm mag loads. Again, no issues at all. Worked as advertised.

http://s20.postimg.org/ow0veo3d9/Lab_Radar.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image upload (http://postimage.org/)

TXGunNut
05-13-2016, 12:06 AM
Wow! 9 fps is almost as good as a BP load. Good job!

dragon813gt
05-13-2016, 06:02 AM
Have you had your Labradar out for another session?

No, I've been to busy on the weekends to make it out to the range. I'm only scheduled to work ok Thursday this coming week. That means I will be on tech support the other days. My phone works at one of the ranges which means I can answer calls in between strings :)

TXGunNut
05-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Hoping to try mine again Sunday, have a trap shoot in the morning but if the weather holds we'll shoot rifles Sunday.

TXGunNut
05-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Wow, this thing is awesome! Doing load development today and it was an eye-opening experience! So much data from every shot! Three loads tested came in as expected. One was a surprise, 200fps faster than I SWAG'd. Still studying on that one, lol.

Jim_P
05-16-2016, 09:09 AM
UPS says mine should be delivered today. I hope the weather is fine next weekend for some range time.

TXGunNut
05-16-2016, 10:47 PM
That should give you some time to read the manual and familiarize yourself with it before your range trip, Jim. Have fun!

MaLar
05-17-2016, 12:13 AM
I've had my shiny new toy out 3 times within the last week. Only fired 2 different guns so far and the Labradar worked like a charm. I shot my .41 mag Ruger BH with 240 gn & 250 gn cast and my Tikka T3 Super lite in 7mm Rem mag with 140 gn j-bullets. Its easy enough to operate and set up is very quick. So much nicer to deal with compared to my Chrony beta.

Velocities also seemed more consistent than my Chrony. I was rather pleased to see that I only had a 9 FPS spread on my 7mm mag loads. Again, no issues at all. Worked as advertised.

http://s20.postimg.org/ow0veo3d9/Lab_Radar.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image upload (http://postimage.org/)

I have a question how do you shoot it if it's sitting beside you.

AbitNutz
05-17-2016, 09:36 AM

That's easy...someone else shoots it.

OuchHot!
05-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Midway had these available for order at noon Pacific time Wednesday

RugerFan
05-20-2016, 01:01 AM

You don't shoot through screens with this unit. It tracks the bullet as it flies down range.

Jim_P
05-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Ruger, He was making a joke.

RugerFan
05-22-2016, 01:20 AM
Ahh....My sarcasm filter malfunctioned.