PDA

View Full Version : New at hog hunting

crabo
04-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I have hunted a lot of deer and other animals, but have never hog hunted. How would a newby hog hunter go about hunting a piece of property he has never been to? It is a small piece of property about 40 acres. They have seen pigs there, but don't have much information.

Would setting up a feeder be a good idea? I've read about making a tube and baiting it with corn and letting it sour.

Anyone ever called hogs?

Thanks,

Crabo

waksupi
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I've called thm, but don't know if soooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, would be appropriate if hunting them.

twotrees
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
The best hog hunting info on the web is at http://www.texasboars.com/

Kevin has been guiding huts in East Texas for at lest 10 years and they guys at that site have been there done that.

Look for Pig Pipes and give the one made out of 4" PVC pipe a try. The other name for it is the "Piggie Alarm clock".

We can hunt them at night under lights here in Ga too. If you fall asleep, waiting for them to come in, they wake you up rolling the pipe around to get at the corn.

BTW: Strawberry or Rasberry jello is better for getting them in than sour corn.

Good Hunting,

TwoTrees

Leadforbrains
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I know some folks have strong feelings about baiting, but if you are so inclined soured corn works real good to draw in feral pigs. Corn mixed with cheap beer works real good also.
Hunting from a 40 acre plot you can use baiting to help draw hogs off adjacent properties. Setting up a timed feeder works well. The sound of the corn hitting the ground from an automatic feeder acts like a dinner bell to them piggies.

Ranch Dog
04-26-2008, 01:51 AM
The sound of the corn hitting the ground from an automatic feeder acts like a dinner bell to them piggies.

Exactly! Happens twice a day, year round, at seven locations on my place. Hey, I have to have something to test my bullets on!

bruce drake
04-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Ranch Dog,

You are one lucky man. I would love to have a setup like that.

Bruce

Ranch Dog
04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Bruce,

I am a lucky fellow for a lot of reasons (and very little to do with those hogs)! Part of my luck is that I live in the greatest country on earth. It has become great because of the efforts of individuals such as yourself! Thank you. What really makes me appreciate it is that I've been to the places you've been, just in a different part of the world, and our country looks REALLY good after that and the stroke of luck starts with being born here!

DanWalker
04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I did a lot of experimenting with various baits when I was trapping and hunting hogs for a living for a while.
I like a mixture of beer,milk,and eggs.
I'd drink half of a jug of milk, then add a beer and 2 or 3 eggs and set it outside to "ripen" for a week or so. Keep the lid TIGHTLY sealed on the jug during transport.
Never tried the PVC pipe trick.
You can use the liquid bait to "sweeten" a corn pile, or you can just pour it on the ground.
Hanging the jug from a limb, with a rag stuffed into the neck of the jug works pretty good too.
Don't cram the rag in tightly. Just stick it in so it stays put. The fumes released from the liquid as it evaporates will make the rag stink for a LONG time.