PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rod for Shiloh

marlin39a
01-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Any recommendations on best rod length etc for cleaning my Shiloh Sharps in 45-110 with a 34" barrel? Right now using a pieced together rod and it's not making it easy.

Don McDowell
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM
The Tipton Carbon fiber 50 cal rods work well.

Gunlaker
01-13-2016, 11:26 AM
I like the large diameter Dewey rods for cleaning. I have one made for .338's and it's good. I also have the stainless one that Shiloh sells. It's not bad but I like the Dewey more.

For wiping I like the Steve Rhoades delrin rods.

Chris.

Gunlaker
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
One more thing. Shiloh sells some excellent delrin jags. They are very long and are designed to elp prevent the rod from contacting the bore when the jag exits the muzzle.

Chris.

John Allen
01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Buy the long tipton or long Dewey I have both I prefer the tipton. Also take a look at montana extreme cleaning jags they are really nice.

marlin39a
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys. Looking at a Dewey 35 cal, 44" rod so I can do my 38/55 also. Will compare to others.

Don McDowell
01-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Yes if you have other rifles of the same ilk that you want to clean going with the smaller rod is good. The big Tipton rod won't hardly fit in my 44's so most of the time the 30 caliber rod is what I carry to the matches for final cleaning at the end of the day.
The Delrin rods and jags from Arizona Sharpshooters.com are excellent for wiping between shots.

country gent
01-13-2016, 04:08 PM
I have the Dewey 35 cal rod its a great rod for these big bore rifles not alot of flex and solid. You can get them set up with male threads for dewy jags or female 8 32 for the standards. The male thred models do come with an adapter for the standards also. I believ my rod is just over 5/16 dia. Wach the hammer spurs on firearms with centered hammers as rubbing on the checker spur really tears up the coating quick.

marlin39a
01-13-2016, 04:32 PM
I went to Buffalo Arms and got the 35 rod, 44", 8-32 male. It should serve me well. Good equipment costs but will last forever! Thanks guys for advice.

.22-10-45
01-13-2016, 06:59 PM
1++ on Arizona Delrin wiping rods! If you ask, they will drill/tap end of jag 10-32 for threading on brush. I used to use Dewey...but have since gone to PRO-Shot rods for most of my rifle use. Tougher coating & smaller rubber foam handles clear tang sights.

Rifle 57
01-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Also what works good for a bore guide is one of your old fired brass cases. Just drill out the primer pocket slightly larger than your cleaning rod and then slide it down on your rod before you start the rod into your chamber.When you drill it out do it in steps,start out with a 3/16 - 1/4 on so on until you get a few thousands larger than the rod.

rfd
01-16-2016, 07:34 AM
tipton .375 carbon fiber rod with a Bore Rider Barrel Care (http://www.boreriderbarrelcareproducts.com/) chisel jag and integral bore guide. a simple plastic cone chamber guide is slipped over the rod for chamber protection.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RjxwO1PmL80/TULzzKEisYI/AAAAAAAAAAk/WxRAV4_Oq1w/s320/000_0829.JPG

steve's arizona sharp shooter (http://arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html) solid delrin wiping rods are excellent!

http://arizonasharpshooters.com/mediac/400_0/media/PATCHING$20STUFF$20001.jpg

rfd
01-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Also what works good for a bore guide is one of your old fired brass cases. Just drill out the primer pocket slightly larger than your cleaning rod and then slide it down on your rod before you start the rod into your chamber.When you drill it out do it in steps,start out with a 3/16 - 1/4 on so on until you get a few thousands larger than the rod.

i keep meaning to make one of these to try out as the full brass might keep the chamber from getting wet from the fouling patch. as it is now, after the fouling rod is pulled out, i use a short chamber dowel with a slit in one end to accept a pair of arsenal patches to insure the chamber is wiped dry and clean.

marlin39a
01-16-2016, 09:10 AM
You guys provided some solid advise. Definitely have to get one of those Delrin rods. Great deal on those Arsenal patches as well.

rfd
01-16-2016, 09:39 AM
... Great deal on those Arsenal patches as well.

these are the "new" arsenal patches and are not of the same quality as the old ones, imo. however, they work quite well and can still be reused if need be.

Rifle 57
01-16-2016, 08:09 PM
i keep meaning to make one of these to try out as the full brass might keep the chamber from getting wet from the fouling patch. as it is now, after the fouling rod is pulled out, i use a short chamber dowel with a slit in one end to accept a pair of arsenal patches to insure the chamber is wiped dry and clean.
I think the only way it will keep your chamber dry is if you drill the hole in the brass larger than your rod about the same diameter as your barrel bore diameter that way you can leave the case in the chamber like you do on a bolt action rifle with a plastic bore guide.Other wise you have to leave the case on the rod and remove it every time you pull the rod out of the barrel.
Also I use a cotton bore mop to dry out the chamber any way.

rfd
01-16-2016, 08:18 PM
I think the only way it will keep your chamber dry is if you drill the hole in the brass larger than your rod about the same diameter as your barrel bore diameter that way you can leave the case in the chamber like you do on a bolt action rifle with a plastic bore guide.Other wise you have to leave the case on the rod and remove it every time you pull the rod out of the barrel.

yep, exactly, the brass case chamber guide needs to always stay in the chamber. it'll need a heckuva large hole, too, as i'd wanna pass thru the jagged arsenal patch for both fouling control and apres shoot cleaning. definitely want to work on this, thanx for the post!