PDA

View Full Version : 1863 Sharps tuning hints.

doc1876
01-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I was involves with a discussion with someone about the excess powder falling into the forearm, and I have forgotten who asked for this, or where the discussion was, so I thought I would start a new thread, and hope that they see it

The cure by Sharps in "63 was this small hole in the bottom of the forearm so as to not blow them off while shooting many hundred rounds in battle. As a lifelong reenactor, it was not uncommon to shoot 150+ blanks in a day at a Civil War Reenactment, so this cautionary step is the one I took so as to not have any issues. I heard of this happening to others, but never saw it myself, and did not want to either.
Cutting a 3/16x1/2 inch hole in the bottom allows the excess powder to fall out, and not buildup causing a forearm explosion. (I originally stated 3/8X3/8, but did not have my stock to check it)

I have been using this Sharps by Garrett since 1984, and before that had two originals that I used. These have the operating pellet primer, and that is why I bought this one.
I was asked for a picture, so I am including it here
158003 158004

hornady308
01-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for posting this solution. I've been thinking of getting one of these and would not like to have the forarm explode as it would be coslty to replace. :D