PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Slug Gun Now Out to 200 YDS and a Picture of My Home Made Shoot N See

oldracer
01-13-2016, 12:18 AM
As I noted in an earlier post, the lead I was using seemed to be too hard as I am not using pure lead with either a BACO 540 grain Creedmoor mold or the flat nose Pedersoli Gibbs mold that seems to drop a pure lead 525 grain bullet. Here is a picture of my 8 x 11 home made Shoot N See type of target I shot at 200 yards today with both bullets and 90 grains of Goex FFG. I did not use a wad this time as the last results from long range muzzle loader matches show 40% or more of the shooters do NOT use a wad of any type between the bullet base and the powder. The white center is about 3 inches in diameter.157992

The picture is 90 degrees sideways for some reason? The two shoots in the top are BACO Creedmoor and there were 3 more just to the right of them. The others are from the Pedersoli mold.

Tatume
01-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Very nice. Looks like you are having fun. How about a photo of the gun sometime?

Thanks, Tom

oldracer
01-13-2016, 09:22 PM
158061Hummm, thought I had posted one, but it is with the Schuetzen stock and I have since made a Gibbs type of stock from scratch from "lace wood" as I wanted a stock that is nearly straight. I would not recommend that as a stock material as it splinters very easily and even after 25 coats of clear lacquer it is not exactly as smooth as I want? Seems the wood is a mixture of hard and soft areas. Any ways here it is.

Good Cheer
01-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Well, it is purty if not what you wanted.
Really, that's nice.

rsrocket1
01-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Wow, a 3" dot at 200 yards? I'm not sure I would be able to see that without a scope. Good shooting!

oldracer
01-14-2016, 09:29 AM
The white circle on a flat black background is way easier to see than I thought it would be and the yellow "hits" can actually be seen without a spotting scope! If the shots are close as some of mine are then a scope helps but that home made idea does really work great! Some of the guys at the range laughed but I said I make them on a rainy day and we are having more and more of them here in Southern CA now days!

Plastikosmd
01-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Really nice. I have a soft spot for these guns. It is fun to go to the range and outshoot scopes on a center fire