PDA

View Full Version : 650 unused primer dropping solutions?

kryogen
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Edit:

Ok I checked and the way the system is made, primers have to drop. There is the indexing ball, and there is the clicker.
I have ordered the 2 fixes from dillon upgrades. At least they will drop reliably in nice bottles and not fly around.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I wonder something.
The 650 drops unspent primers.
There are products to catch the dropped primers better than the stock chute.

Question, why didnt dillon built it that way, instead of keeping the loaded wheel just rotating full? If theres a primer in the wheel, another wont drop in, so it could just go round and round if not using the primer, no? I don't understand why they have to actually drop.

Couldnt we just put a piece of metal sheet under the rotating wheel to keep the primers in the wheel and that would just fix it?
Why have those drop, and make better systems to recover, if we can just keep those in the wheel?

Maybe I am missing something?
It's just an annoyance when you have 100 loaded, and then you want to modify a load, adjust powder drops, etc, and then you have all those primers drop?

mozeppa
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
because the wheel that has the primers also passes under the de-prime station #1.

i think ...could be ....i dunno.

edit to add....i don't use the 650 priming parts on either of my two 650's ....i bench prime all my brass and i size and flare all brass on a stripped down 650

dragonrider
01-12-2016, 12:44 PM
"because the wheel that has the primers also passes under the de-prime station #1"

No it does not.

I got this unit off ebay. It is 100% effective.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/DILLON%20PRIMER%20CATCHER%202_zpsm9jqlr6a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/PaulGauthier/media/DILLON%20PRIMER%20CATCHER%202_zpsm9jqlr6a.jpg.html )

jmorris
01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
The 650 primer feed tube has a brass tip, the SD, 550 and 1050 will keep there primers if no case is there to be primed but they have plastic tips that will deform before you can apply enough force to set off a primer if they get jammed up somehow.

kryogen
01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Why did dillon do it that way on the 650? Weird. I'll probably need to order the 2 fixes on ebay, it's quite annoying to have used and unused primers flying off the press when loading.

StuBach
01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Poor mans fix would be to take some tape and wrap it around the end to keep primers from flying off. I did that with mine the day I got it and have never had a problem. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/64d8ed89a5efed1231f70b2f7ae75e7c.jpg

Though I'll admit I like the new upgrades listed on eBay. Just wish they could convince Dillon to do one of those and then the upgrade would be covered under No-BS.

kryogen
01-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Poor mans fix would be to take some tape and wrap it around the end to keep primers from flying off. I did that with mine the day I got it and have never had a problem.
Though I'll admit I like the new upgrades listed on eBay. Just wish they could convince Dillon to do one of those and then the upgrade would be covered under No-BS.

This is exactly why they do not do upgrades to the machine I guess.
That's not such a good thing when you think about it.

StuBach
01-12-2016, 07:36 PM
My dad has a old 550 (wanna say mid-late 80s model) that sat for many years until my wife and I got into reloading with him. First day we went to reload a part in the primer station broke and when he called it in it was a part they had upgraded some years prior and they sent him all the parts to retrofit his to the new style. Been working like a champ for him ever since, I just couldn't convince him to part with it so when I had the money I got the 650 instead. If they get enough complaints or there is a truly functional issue with it I can see them doing the upgrade or at least offering it as part of their parts but then we would have to pay their premium.

kryogen
01-12-2016, 09:29 PM
I bought the dillon upgrades kit for spent primers and live primers.
no more flying primers, good thing. Will report once i get it. Should take 2 weeks i guess.

VHoward
01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Another solution is to put a balloon on the unspent primer ramp. That way they fall into the balloon (uninflated balloon). I have the catch bottle upgrade from ebay myself as well as the spent primer upgrade. Both are awesome.

EddieNFL
01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
The 650 primer feed tube has a brass tip, the SD, 550 and 1050 will keep there primers if no case is there to be primed but they have plastic tips that will deform before you can apply enough force to set off a primer if they get jammed up somehow.

Although Dillon swears it's not possible, my 550 has the brass tipped primer tubes. Came new that way. I was gifted a SD (older version) and had primer problems almost immediately. I pulled the tube from my 650 and the SD runs like a champ. I called Dillon and bought another 650 tube.

I wonder if the brass tube in my 550 is the reason I've never had any of the issues I've read about.

kryogen
01-13-2016, 09:48 AM
So far the 650 priming system has been top notch to me.
No more lee loadmaster upside down or side crushed primers.
It's so fast to reload now.

I think I'll just make myself a spray bottle with alcohol after loading rounds, lay on a t shirt, spray with alcohol, rub in t shirt, lube is gone.

kryogen
01-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Ok I checked and the way the system is made, primers have to drop. There is the indexing ball, and there is the clicker.
I have ordered the 2 fixes from dillon upgrades. At least they will drop reliably in nice bottles and not fly around.