PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Standard/Magnum Primers VS CCI and other Primers

Southern Shooter
01-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Why is it that large pistol Winchester primers are labeled for standard and magnum...the same primer...while CCI and other companies have two different primers...one for the standard primers and one for the magnum primers?

Hick
01-12-2016, 12:49 AM
I read somewhere the claim that Winchester primers are hotter-- making it unnecessary to distinguish primer for larger magnum type loads. However, as I look through my notes I cannot find where it was written. I do know that I have used Winchester Large Rifles primers Standard in places where Speer recommends Magnum, and the Standards have never failed to fire. But-- that's only with rifle primers-- don't know for sure about pistol primers.

ubetcha
01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Awhile back, I recall a post from Ed Harris on the CBA site stating that Winchester primers produce more hot particles when fired.. I believe it was a post about reduced loads with position sensitive powders. IIRC Ed stated that because of the particles, it had a better chance of igniting the charge evenly or to some effect like that. I quest I need to try and find the post again

4060MAY
01-12-2016, 12:38 PM
the older white box, silver plated, Winchester primers were marked that way
The newer unplated primers are marked WLR for standard and WLRM for magnum

1bluehorse
01-19-2016, 11:54 PM

Have not seen a silver plated Winchester LP primer and I've been using them since early 90's. I have two boxes of 1000 in my reloading room, one a white box (bought just a few months ago) that say for LP std/mag......the other is the "older" blue box that say LP std/mag....both boxes contain brass colored primers which is all I've ever seen. The Winchester LR primers are as you stated, LR, LRM...

Motor
01-23-2016, 04:45 PM

I have them both ways. I still have some that are for standard OR magnum loads and I have some that are for one or the other.

I didn't buy Winchester primers enough to notice if there was a change at some point or another.

Motor