PDA

View Full Version : Win Creedmoor- 10 shots, one big hole

Gussy
04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I finally got the 45-90 out for a second run. The first was less than great. The second try with a new load was much better. I'm working up a good load to use at the Quigley shoot in June.

In fact, after a 10 shot sight in run, I put the next ten into one hole.

It was one of those dreamed of groups. But I was only shooting it at the 100 yd target and that is really to close for good judgement of a load.

Well, sort of. The hole was about fist sized and nearly a foot deep............. in the mud behind the target.

The target wsn't bad either. About 2" from outside to outside. After I get a chance to try it at 200 yds I'll know for sure but it's looking like what I will be using.
Gus

Bullshop
04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Good deal Gus, them Win Brownings or what ever they are are sure good shooters.
I have one of the older Brownings in 45/70 and it has proven to shoot better than me.
I just last friday got one in 50/90 that looks exactly like the 45/70 only a bigger hole in the barrel. Sunday and monday are my days off so I shot the 50 all day today. The best group fired at 100 yards was 1 1/32" c to c. Lots of 2" to 3" but it needs broke in. There aint no freebore at all just a sharp ledge where the rifling starts in front of the chamber. I got about 50 shots through it today mostly with acww boolits. After a couple hundred more should take the sharp edge off and then I hope to try some paper in it. Anyway like you I am well pleased. This is the one I will likely hunt with all this year. The bears are about now so hope to get in some woods loafing with the big 50.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Gussy
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I wish I had a little extra cash right now. A 50 would be on it's way!! I would love to have one. Probably screwed up buying that last hi wall varmint gun. Had it before I saw the 50's.
Gus

August
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Gus, I'd say you are very fortunate to be getting groups after just two attempts. Most of us had to burn a lot more powder than that to find what the rifle likes. Congratulations!!!!!

If you would be so kind, please share your load info with us, particularly the bullet, compression, various wads and method of crimping (if any).

I've always heard that the 90 was more difficult to dial in than the 45-70, but you seem to have tipped the scales on that equation.

Gussy
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Gus, I'd say you are very fortunate to be getting groups after just two attempts. Most of us had to burn a lot more powder than that to find what the rifle likes. Congratulations!!!!!

If you would be so kind, please share your load info with us, particularly the bullet, compression, various wads and method of crimping (if any).

I've always heard that the 90 was more difficult to dial in than the 45-70, but you seem to have tipped the scales on that equation.

August,
I cheated. The load was given to me by a shooting buddy and it happened to work for me. This is a duplex load that I wanted to try. I wanted one because of issues I've had shooting at the Quigley match in MT. Issues mainly related to fouling out with a 34" barrel.

The load is: 13 gr Reloader 7 on the bottom, 65 gr Goex 2F on top, .060 poly wad, a couple of newsprint wads (to prevent the bullet sticking to the wad), compressed enough to fit a modified Lyman 658 bullet on top. These were finger seated in fireformed cases, no crimp.

This is the equivalent of a 105gr black powder load. A max duplex load at 20%. If you use this information, make sure your rifle will handle it!! It does set you back a bit!!

Bullshop
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Gussy
Got some good news on the 50 creedmoore. I had been using up some about 10 year old stock shooting some of the Lyman 450gn mil. design. It was doing good but never got under 1" at 100 yards.
Yesterday for my last target of the day I tried some boolits from a mold I had Veral make up a long time ago. way back when he used to send out those yellow folded flyers he advertised that he made a spitzer design. I had him make one for about a 620gn boolit for long range. It has always shot well inthe few rifles I have had in the past.
So for my last target of the day yesterday I dug out a box just to see what would change. When I walked to the target, be still my flutterin heart there was one hole.
The calipers said .474" c to c. I am excited! I am also very impressed with these rifles. Made in Japan, yes sure they are but that description should read, well made in Japan.
I have never seen or heard of a bad one and that would include the full liniage going back to the B-78. My own personal experiance would include about 10 rifles over the years and all were exceptional shooters. Matter of fact the rifle I shot my moose with last year is a B-78 rebarelled to 405 Win. I like um, I like um alot. The Browning BPCR and Win Creedmoore are the most refined versions of the B-78 ever to come along.
Boy I cant wait till after work today. This time I will put up a fresh target and hope to repeat the same.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Gussy
04-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Bullshop, that is a great group!! What sights did you put on it?? Load?

That should be one fine hunting rifle.
Gus