PDA

View Full Version : useless toys and trinkets ... or an afternoons entertainment

fg-machine
01-11-2016, 01:48 AM
just one of those things we do when bored ...... a 577-450 key chain , bling bling for the martini owner

the pics are a bit poor quality but its the best i can do .... i still need to find some sort of swivel to attach it to a chain , if you have a good idea throw it at me .

other then the neck being about .090 to short ( couldn't find a long enough piece of scrap ) it is identical in dimensions to my martini henry ammo and chambers and ejects just like its supposed to .

the case is just random brass scrap with an aluminum bullet ... for true bling bling purposes once i find some scrap i'll make a bullet from something a bit more exotic ,.. like titanium or sterling silver .

its a bit heavy for a pocket key ring .. but would be just the ticket for those odd ball keys you don't carry every day .

and before you ask when can you get yours .. remember that old adage ... if you have to ask how much it costs , you cant afford it .

sav300
01-11-2016, 06:20 AM
Fishing line swivel?

powderburnerr
01-11-2016, 11:39 AM
I used a threaded sling swivel

Blackwater
01-11-2016, 12:44 PM
+1 on the threaded sling swivel. Then you can get split rings from any tackle seller, like www.barlows.com.

Blackwater
01-11-2016, 12:47 PM
+1 on the threaded sling swivel. Then you can get split rings from any tackle seller, like www.barlowstackle.com.

If you have many keys, I've found it best to use a large split ring on the ctg. case, and then smaller ones to string your keys on in groups. Works for me, at least.

mold maker
01-11-2016, 12:57 PM
The weight is good, you'll miss them without feeling for them. Of course, your pants may be down around your legs.

fg-machine
01-11-2016, 02:10 PM
i like the sling swivel idea , you'd think it would have been obvious . i'll have to keep my eyes open for a nice case colored swivel .

i don't normally carry around a large lump of keys . and tend to keep keys separate , car keys on one ring , house keys on another and the like .
having something shiny and substantial to attach those keys you don't normally use or carry everyday makes it easier for me to keep track of them .

id be inclined to use it for say .. they key to my range box or gun cabinet

CastingFool
01-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I have converted a few odd cartridges to use on a key ring. I enlarge the flash hole to allow a cotter pin to go through, then spread the pin out with a rod with one end ground into a Vee. Then, I use a small slit ring to connect it to the key chain.

I will try to post a pic on my desk top, can't seem to be able tp do so, from my tablet.

Here is the pic of my key ring. MtGun44 is 100% correct! I found that out a few years ago when I was taking a flight to Florida

MtGun44
01-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Don't try to get on an airplane with that on your keychain. You WILL
NOT convince the morons in TSA that it is not "a bullet", including a
168 Sierra Matchking bullet, not a cartridge. You will lose it, and if you
protest more than one tiny squeak, you will likely miss your flight while
they field strip you and your luggage.

Even a cartridge with a hole through it, or drilled primer with swivel where
the primer was, will NOT pass. They are stupid and the rule is apparently,
"if it looks like a "bullet" it cannot go on the airplane" -- AND they don't even
know a bullet from a cartridge. Being solid brass, one-piece turned, not
a prayer that they will grasp the difference.

snowwolfe
01-12-2016, 01:31 PM
The weight is good, you'll miss them without feeling for them. Of course, your pants may be down around your legs.

Remember to hold you semi 9 sideways when shooting :)

Skunk1
01-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Made one for my grandfather in 45lc years ago. Nothing fancy just bored at the time. He thought it was the greatest thing ever. When he passed away it was one of the first things I hunted for because I knew he had it on keys he carried every day. Little beat up now, It carries my truck key now. Don't drive it much. Think about him every time I grab them.

Harter66
01-13-2016, 04:35 PM
It's all good for us lefties ...... :)
The sideways thing .

I'm hard on key fobs . The key cartridge chains are cool, I had a 223 that my gave me but X1 got away with it . If someone wants to make some big fobs I've some spent 50 BMG blank cases.

mold maker
01-13-2016, 05:00 PM
At the first NRA show at Charlotte NC, RCBS was making them in 30-06.
I carried mine for several months, with house and car keys.
One day my Grand son jumped up on my lap. The point tore through my pocket and penetrated my leg. Gave me a bullet wound without a shot being fired.

fg-machine
01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
i think i found about 10 different sling swivels in my junk drawer ,... not a one has machine screw thread . time to visit Brownsville

way back when quigly down under came out the nra sent me a key chain with a rather cheesy chrome plated die cast 45-110 cartridge .
it was sort of my inspiration .
i did think about just using one of my actual 577-450 cases for a key chain .. but the cases are rather easily dented and have that pesky 24 guage head stamp .

ive been tossing the idea around of making another one and putting it up for a site benefit auction

Skunk1
01-13-2016, 06:59 PM
It's all good for us lefties ...... :)
The sideways thing .

I'm hard on key fobs . The key cartridge chains are cool, I had a 223 that my gave me but X1 got away with it . If someone wants to make some big fobs I've some spent 50 BMG blank cases.

That would make a nice fob. Don't have a die to seat a projectile and give a little crimp though. That would probably be a good round for a site fund raiser though.

Harter66
01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
That would make a nice fob. Don't have a die to seat a projectile and give a little crimp though. That would probably be a good round for a site fund raiser though.

PM me ill see how many I have and see where we come out.