PDA

View Full Version : I needed new mounting pin screws for Hensley and Gibbs mold, so I made some.

corbinace
01-11-2016, 01:01 AM
I purchased a new to me H&G mold from an online auction. I did not look closely enough at the picture and when they came they were sans mounting pin screws.

I took two 5/64" drill bits and cut the shank off at 0.870" long. I then secured them with two 10-32 Allen set screws 3/4" long.

I think this setup is better than my other mold with the large fillister screw heads, because it does not cause a problem with the screw head bumping on the mold rest/guide on the pot.

I can not see why this will not work fine, can you?

Le Loup Solitaire
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
It'll work. H&G molds at one time used large screw heads that protruded from the bottom of the blocks. This caused a problem when using bottom pours like the pro-melt that had a "bar" that you couldn't slide the blocks over. I got around that by mounting a ball bearing unit from an old skateboard wheel that rode between the screws. Ultimately I swapped in other screws with the same threads that either sat below the bottoms of the blocks or ones that were Allen headed and also sat below the block bottoms. LLS