PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll Ain't Gonna Believe This....

TXGunNut
01-10-2016, 11:21 PM
but another levergun followed me home! This time it was one I've been expecting to happen along for quite some time but I still had to pick it up and put it down a few times and tried to walk away. Couldn't do it. ;-) It's a Remlin 1895 45-70 with the standard length barrel; not a Guide Gun or a Cowboy. I've been threatening to buy a Remlin for awhile just to prove all the naysayers wrong and today I got the chance to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.
Fit and finish is a bit better than I expected, some steel-to-wood gaps a bit bigger than I like but quite serviceable. Wood is very plain but that's the norm with all Remlins. Action actually feels quite good and I feel it will improve with use. Trigger is a bit stiff but also crisp. I can fix it or live with it, again about what I expected.
Barrel is a 6-groove that seems to be neither Ballard nor Micro Groove. It has a new Weaver low-powered variable scope in crappy aluminum rings, nice bonus and I have some good rings stashed away.
Yes, I have a perfectly good Guide Gun but it has a straight butt stock and I've always wanted a pistol grip on that rifle. That old GG has put lots of meat in the freezer and will continue to do so, will be a tough act to follow but I think the new kid is up to it. :coffeecom

sghart3578
01-10-2016, 11:26 PM
Excellent!

I want a 45/70 to replace the H&R single shot that I sold. I am a Marlin guy so that is where I am looking. Let us know how it works out please.

Steve in N CA

rking22
01-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a nice catch! I have always been attracted to the PG leverguns. I hope it shoots well for you, should be some awesome piggy poison!
PICS ???

TXGunNut
01-11-2016, 12:27 AM
Sorry, no pics. Looks just like every Remlin I've picked up over the last few years, not worth the bandwidth or the fight between my netbook and phone. I've bought some leverguns just because they were pretty, this isn't one of those times. I'll post target pics when I get it to the range.
As my late friend James used to say "you can't have too many hog guns".

rking22
01-11-2016, 12:54 AM
Well target pics are the 2nd best pics anyhow,,, right behind hog and deer pics! Good luck with the product testing :)

clum553946
01-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Congrats! You are a true Lever junkie!

35 shooter
01-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Looking forward to the range reports. I've always liked the looks of the full length Marlins with the semi pistol grips. I've never owned one like that, but have handled and shot a few over the years.

The newer Remlin's i've looked at lately seem to be an improvement fit wise compared to some of the early ones i've seen.

OverMax
01-11-2016, 06:06 AM
Well if anything. You now have something new to look at and aim thru. That's a + 1

dragon813gt
01-11-2016, 09:13 AM
I have a Remlin 1894C. There isn't a thing wrong w/ it. I've put thousands of rounds through it w/out a hiccup. Sure the wood isn't the prettiest and the gaps are little big. But she shoots and that's all that matters :)

Taylor
01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Marlin's website advertises these as having Ballard rifling.I got one for Christmas.Haven't shot it yet though.I made a cartridge holder for the stock,and had to polish the bolt and lever,she was hanging up a tad.Replaced the plastic follower with a brass one.And got rid of the safety.

Hickok
01-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Since you already have the Guide gun, you know you will love this rifle!:D

I too have a older 1895 with standard barrel. I know people will say I am talking "like the oats that come out of the back end of a horse", but with a scope, this Marlin will group like a bolt action at 100 yards.

Let's us know how she does when you get a chance to work out a good load.

Maven
01-11-2016, 01:52 PM
"I want a 45/70 to replace the H&R single shot that I sold. I am a Marlin guy so that is where I am looking. Let us know how it works out please." ...sghart

Steve, This result (below) was from a Marlin #336, Microgroove bbl.

Hickok
01-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Yep, that's what I am talking about!:goodpost:

Shuz
01-11-2016, 07:36 PM
"I want a 45/70 to replace the H&R single shot that I sold. I am a Marlin guy so that is where I am looking. Let us know how it works out please." ...sghart

Steve, This result (below) was from a Marlin #336, Microgroove bbl.
Paul, that is excellent shooting! Any idea of the velocity?--shuz

Maven
01-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks Ray! That load was 17gr. WC 820/AA #9, but I don't know the velocity. Judging by the recoil with that ~460gr. LBT FPPB CB, it was perhaps 1,100 - 1.200 fps.

TXGunNut
01-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Since you already have the Guide gun, you know you will love this rifle!:D

I too have a older 1895 with standard barrel. I know people will say I am talking "like the oats that come out of the back end of a horse", but with a scope, this Marlin will group like a bolt action at 100 yards.

Let's us know how she does when you get a chance to work out a good load.

I like the balance of this rifle a bit better than my Guide Gun and that Guide Gun is a handy little rifle.
No second hand oats involved, my GG and almost every other GG I know about thinks it's a good bolt gun and I don't try to tell it any different.
I suspect I'll use the same load worked up for my Guide Gun, hadn't really planned on working up a new load but time will tell.

sghart3578
01-11-2016, 11:41 PM
That's outstanding!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve in N CA

TXGunNut
01-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Hmmm....action almost bone-dry. Giving it a quick cleaning and once-over. Can't find my dummy round so that will have to wait for another day. Scope seems to have a pretty short eye relief, base doesn't look right either. Short eye relief scope on a thumper like this one could explain why a nearly new gun is on the rack.

quasi
01-19-2016, 06:59 PM
the 22" barrel and pistol grip stock is the most comfortable model of Marlin 1895 to shoot heavy loads in, at least for me.

TXGunNut
01-20-2016, 12:29 AM
the 22" barrel and pistol grip stock is the most comfortable model of Marlin 1895 to shoot heavy loads in, at least for me.

I hope the same is true for me. I like my little Guide Gun but I really like the feel of this one. Wonder if Boyd's makes stocks for them?

TXGunNut
01-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Scope (VX-3 1.75-6) showed up yesterday and snagged a proper base Sunday. Have plenty of Burris rings, pretty sure that 32mm obj will let me use lows. Hoping to load up some rounds for my 300 Savage tomorrow, should have time to mount a scope as well. Might just be a levergun day at the range Sunday. ;-)

TXGunNut
01-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Got home in time to pull off that ugly base, install a Weaver base and a nice set of low Burris Zee rings from my parts box. New scope dropped into the rings just fine so I installed the scope and stuck a sticky-note with a big dot on it on a shed across the driveway, propped open the back door and performed a redneck bore-sighting job after pulling the bolt. Don't laugh, it works better than any method I've tried. :-) Never failed to get on paper @ 50 yds, occasionally even 100 yds.

35 shooter
01-24-2016, 02:50 AM
TX. i didn't think anyone used that bore sighting technique but me anymore lol. Works everytime for me too, even @ 100 yds.

I've got some strange looks at the range before while doing it though.

TXGunNut
01-24-2016, 03:35 AM
TX. i didn't think anyone used that bore sighting technique but me anymore lol. Works everytime for me too, even @ 100 yds.

I've got some strange looks at the range before while doing it though.

I've done it on the range for folks that paid for bore-sighting but couldn't get on paper. Yes, I got funny looks. Yes, I got them on paper. 'Nuf said.

TXGunNut
01-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Sighted in my new thumper today! First round just barely on paper, second one much better. Quit after the last three. This is only three shots @ 50 but it's still pretty exciting. Ran out of elevation so I came home and put two precision .004" shims (Coke can stock) under the rear of the sight base. Was a bit stiff & sore so didn't push it. I think this old girl will keep up with my Guide Gun. Not bad for a RemLin, huh?159688

35 shooter
02-01-2016, 01:07 AM
Nope, not bad at all! I believe it thinks it's a bolt gun. Looks like remington's got it in gear now.

TXGunNut
02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
I think it will do, nice touch when it likes the loads I developed for my other rifle. I've always suspected that powder was a bit slow for the short Guide Gun, may actually shoot better in the latest one. I'm not a Remington fan by any means but I was pretty sure the RemLins were getting a bad rap, glad I finally got to try one for myself. I'm glad they still think they're bolt guns, lol.

rking22
02-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Glad it's shooting well for you .. and it most certainly IS shooting well by that target! Also glad to hear Remington is hopefully getting their act together.
Now I need to work up a load for my #1 with a 457122. thanks for reminding me :)

TXGunNut
02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Took my new thumper to the range again today, somehow managed to jam my thumb into my nose (twice) when I forgot that I was shooting a warmish load in a fairly light rifle, lol. Rifle draws first blood before it's first hunting trip...ouch. Shimming the rear of the sight base .008" only raised POI about 2", guess I need to cut another strip off that Coke can to raise it up a little more. :-)

TXGunNut
02-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Well, that shim job and a set of medium rings brought the POI up 4" @ 50 yds....and then the scope refused to adjust vertically. This rifle was in the rack next to Scopekiller so I guess it picked up some of it's bad habits. Guess I'll get it pulled off and packaged up. I was hoping I wouldn't need to send in any more scopes for awhile.