PDA

View Full Version : Grandson got a PA-63

Hick
01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
My grandson's other grandfather gave him a PA-63 that he has had for some years-- still in the original box (but not new). I've looked it over and it looks like someone has already done some of the "fixes" experts recommend, like rounding the lower back corner of the slide, and maybe putting in a heavier recoil spring. Serial numbers on the slide, magazine and pistol all match and it looks to be in very good condition. I've ordered a set of dies for reloading. My grandson came to see me because he knows I reload and would like to get started for himself. Looks like a fun project is developing!

wv109323
01-10-2016, 07:39 PM
They are a handful to shoot with factory loads. More recoil than you expect.
A word of caution, I bought a box of Silver Bear HP ammo. The rounds were too long to fit in the magazines.
They are more accurate than I expected. I fired mine at 25 yards at the NRA timed and rapid Fire target. About 8 out of ten rounds were in the 10 ring, with the other two close by.

Hick
01-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I think we'll start at a low load (starting load per manual) and see how it goes. I've looked the PA 63 over and it looks like his grandfather may have changed out the recoil spring to reduce recoil some.

kingstrider
01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
I've owned 2-3 of those over the years and they are fun to shoot. The recoil is a little snappier than what you would expect from a small cartridge but then it is a small gun. Sounds like a good way to bond with the grandson, enjoy!

Artful
01-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Yep, good fixed barrel pocket pistols are way more accurate than people give them credit for.
They have a larger than .358 bore so you'll need a new mold (horror of horrors). I'd slug it
first but you probably going to see .364
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786209/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-365-95-1r-9mm-makarov-365-diameter-95-grain-1-ogive-radius
You can use 9x19 brass shortened to 18 mm - but don't forget to color them so as not to get mixed.

JeffG
01-15-2016, 12:13 AM
I have the predecessor to the PA-63, the RK-59, and I feed it the same thing I feed my P-64. I use the Lee bullet Artful notes, tumble lubed and they work like a champ. I seat mine to OAL = .980 in Starline brass and of late have been using W 231 for powder which is working very well. I love shooting this caliber. Like others note, it will start working on the web of your hand after a bit.

rondog
01-15-2016, 03:11 AM
Beware that the PA-63 tends to break their ejector, and those are made of unobtainium. Mine broke, and it took months of searching to find one. So check the ejector, if it's healthy I wouldn't recommend shooting the gun a whole bunch. Probably wouldn't hurt to start hunting for a spare now. I'll try to remember to add some photos, can't do it from my phone at work.

Oh, Wolff offers a spring kit for them, and you can find info/threads about them on nearly every gun forum on the 'net.