PDA

View Full Version : A New home for my duty gun!

harley45
01-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Well the chief decided we should be carrying the same gun off duty and on. Since I'm a big fan of my 226 I can live with this and after wearing the full duty belt for 8 plus hours I really prefer a shoulder rig off shift so I made this one for myself!

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/eric_kelley1/image_zpsqh1tyjq3.jpeg (http://s394.photobucket.com/user/eric_kelley1/media/image_zpsqh1tyjq3.jpeg.html)

Der Gebirgsjager
01-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Nice looking rig! What kind of leather did you use?

Oh! Probably elephant. I visited your link. 157742I'm more of a cowhide, smooth leather type of guy. I didn't make this one though--it's a Triple K.
Yours is very nice.

PerpetualStudent
01-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I've often thought that shoulder rigs are underrated. Possible to get a pic of it actually on a torso?

I'm mainly interested in if the barrel is carried pointing down or behind you. I've seen shoulder rigs both way.

harley45
01-10-2016, 11:34 AM
This carries with the barrel pointed behind but I am also finishing one up for my 1911 that points down. I agree they are underrated they take some getting used to but once a person gets them adjusted correctly they are comfortable. I really like not having the weight on my hips and they keep the gun out of my way around the farm. They are also nice as a grab and go rig when I get those 3 am calls!

Love Life
01-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Very nice!!

Plate plinker
01-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Never wore a shoulder rig, but i don't like see the muzzle pointing backwards. Is there a reason some of theme are like that? Once saw a detective sitting at a table with his rig on and the muzzle was pointing at a table full of children.

Blackwater
01-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Beautiful work, harley! And with the strap between hammer and firing pin, there's no danger, nor with a DA auto with the hammer down, and relying on the DA for the first round. No gun made today that I'm familiar with will fire when dropped. That would be an engraved invitation to get sued out of business! Still, I know it upsets many who've been rightfully trained to dislike it, even though times and designs have changed, and the design of holsters makes accidental discharges as humanly impossible as they can be made to be.

Beautiful work, sir! And I love the elephant leather!

FergusonTO35
01-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Wow, very nice work. Love those Sigs, wish they weren't $1000.00. But you have to carry that big old piece at all times? Geez...

harley45
01-11-2016, 11:07 PM
It's really not as bad as everyone thinks, of course after wearing 30 pounds on the belt of 15 years I suppose a 500 smith would feel light!

junkpile
01-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Looks really nice. Hope it works out for you. I personally hate shoulder rigs. I might try one again if I can find something that is simple at fits more snugly.

crowbuster
01-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Same here junkpile. I tried more than one kind and never found a comfy one. As much as I like the idea I just have to find one that fits

crowbuster
01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Plate plinker. I need the horizontal shoulder rig because I have a bad shoulder with limited range of motion so cant reach around far enough to grab from a vertical shoulder rig. I am sorta thick, so that doesn't help