PDA

View Full Version : Another equerry on range scrap price.

triggerhappy243
01-10-2016, 01:25 AM
i HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BUY INDOOR RANGE SCRAP. Prices for lead at the scrap places being what they are.... what would you offer to pay if you offered to buy 1000 pounds at a shot? It is your typical mix of whatever flys down range.

I want to know what "YOU" would offer to pay.

Hickory
01-10-2016, 01:48 AM
If you remove the lead, 40¢ a pound.
If they remove the lead, 70¢ a pound.
If they remove the lead cast into ingots, $1.00 a pound.

To me, that seems a fair price.

bangerjim
01-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Indoor range..........50-60¢/#.

freebullet
01-10-2016, 02:22 AM
I'd ask what they're getting for it. If that was reasonable then I'd make an offer. My offer outright without any other info would only be around 25-30cents a pound. I can pick it up free outside off the berms so, paying very much doesn't interest me. I certainly wouldn't go more than 50cent per lb.

runfiverun
01-10-2016, 03:10 AM
a scrap yard gets about 3/4's the price of spot lead and the have to pay to ship it.
this means for them to have a profit margin they need to pay about 1/3 that price.

right now spot price is about 75 cents a pound so they are only gonna pay about 20 cents a pound.
give a couple of places around you a call and ask what they pay to buy scrap lead.
then offer just over that price [and you pick it up] that is fair to them and to you.

mac1911
01-10-2016, 11:27 AM
a scrap yard gets about 3/4's the price of spot lead and the have to pay to ship it.
this means for them to have a profit margin they need to pay about 1/3 that price.

right now spot price is about 75 cents a pound so they are only gonna pay about 20 cents a pound.
give a couple of places around you a call and ask what they pay to buy scrap lead.
then offer just over that price [and you pick it up] that is fair to them and to you.

This is also dictated to how much stuff is in the mix.
Local scrap around here will only give you the basic mixed scrap price of 45$ ton.
If the metals are not carefully sorted. I went buy one yard with some rang scrap.
Didn't want it cause it contained ,paper,rubber,jackets,.

Drew P
01-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't there be a lot of copper jackets in average range scrap as reclaimed?

my local scrap yard charges .65$/lb and I usually get fishing lures, blocks and ingots for that price. Last week it was all ingots and I got 250lb!

Alan in Vermont
01-10-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm thinking 25-30 cents/lb for "raw" range scrap. Having processed a couple thousand pounds of it I'm all too familiar with the amount of effort involved and the percentage of loss involved in getting it into ingot form. I clean it out of the backstop myself and get the lead for free as a result. If I could buy it in raw form I would. I figure it's about 10 hours labor to clean 5-600 lbs out of our backstop and I don't think I would do the cleanout for the value of the lead as a purely business deal. As a club volunteer it's a bit of a different situation.

mold maker
01-10-2016, 08:34 PM
The price you're willing to pay is governed by how much you already have, and how fast you use it.