PDA

View Full Version : 1946 No5Mk1

303carbine
01-09-2016, 09:39 PM
I took my new to me No5 out for a stroll to start out the new year with a bang, I shot in a big gravel pit where the distance was right at 200 yds.
I installed a shorter front sight and I wanted to see where it shot, the shots were right on point of aim at rocks about the size of a soccer ball across the pit.
I fired a full mag at the rock, I didn't experience the so called wandering zero, instead I got to see puffs of dust coming off the rock and hearing the smack of the bullet a split second later.:brokenima
My rifle doesn't feed the 174 round nose bullets that I like to use, I was impressed with the Hornady 150 grainers that I tried that day.:-)

Der Gebirgsjager
01-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Well, the wandering zero is a matter of some controversy. Some say that they've experienced it, but many more have not. I own such a rifle, and like yours it is very accurate. I also like the 174 gr. RN bullet. Congratulations on having a good shooting session.

303Guy
01-10-2016, 01:19 AM
Pictures? We need pictures! :mrgreen:

I've heard good reports on the Hornady 174gr RN on game. I've only shot one critter (pig) with one and the performance was perfect. I don't have any because they are like hens teeth over here for some reason! The Hornady 150's were accurate in my rifle but a little fast for the critters I shot with them (too much meat damage and fragmentation).

But about your rifle - we need pictures! ;-)

What was your load if I may ask?

rondog
01-10-2016, 03:52 AM
I have a '47 Fazakerly No.5 Mk.1, I need to work that puppy out. Been awhile.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Hi, 303Guy--well, we have no shortage of the 174 gr. RN here. In fact, I've used them for years, although not exclusively, and had great luck with 39.3 gr. of H-4895 and a CCI #200 primer. A friend and I used to go shooting once a week and he worked up almost the same load (39.0 gr.) independently, and we were quite surprised when we compared notes. This is kind of my standard "go to" load when trying out any new Lee Enfield acquisition. Of course it works better in some individual rifles than others, but some will give you a 1-1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards, and some a 4-5 inch group, but you're always on the paper and can refine it if need be. It will be interesting to see what the O.P., 303carbine, uses if he gets back to us.

DG

Scharfschuetze
01-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Another good jacketed bullet is the Sierra .311" 180 grain spitzer soft point. I've used it alot as it seems to duplicate the Mk VII load well and shoots close to the sights in most my Lee Enfields at various ranges. 40.0 grains of either 4895 powder provides pretty good accuracy.

Here's my No 5.

303carbine
01-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Pictures? We need pictures! :mrgreen:

I've heard good reports on the Hornady 174gr RN on game. I've only shot one critter (pig) with one and the performance was perfect. I don't have any because they are like hens teeth over here for some reason! The Hornady 150's were accurate in my rifle but a little fast for the critters I shot with them (too much meat damage and fragmentation).

But about your rifle - we need pictures! ;-)

What was your load if I may ask?

I tried 42 grains of IMR 3031, when the weather gets a bit better, I am going to chronograph this load.
Pete, I will try your email and send you some pics, John

W.R.Buchanan
01-11-2016, 04:20 AM
For all of us Enfield shooters out there I have one thing to recommend. It is a slip on Limbsaver Recoil Pad. Size Medium. $24.95 at Walmart and worth every cent. I paid $40 for mine a Bass Pro and it's worth every cent!

I would consider it to be a must have for a #5 simply due to the brutal recoil they develop with the modified buttstock and lighter weight.

They go on easy with no alteration of the gun and stay on nicely. I shoot 40-50 rounds at each of my Silhouette Shoots and being able to stand 40 shots in less than 2 hours is a must. Without the pad I couldn't shoot this gun that much in one setting. There still is recoil, there just isn't any hard impact to your shoulder.

No after effects whatsoever.

Randy

Hardcast416taylor
01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Is this recoil pad for the #4 or the #5 Enfield? Being retired and short cash usually I would like to get the right pad first time around.Robert

Scharfschuetze
01-11-2016, 06:36 PM
I think it should work on either rifle's butt.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3AB0002IMP8K%7CB0002IMP9O%7CB00 0GISZTE%7CB000STW45W%7CB000W8FOME%7CB00162PYG6%7CB 0029M17NQ%7CB002E6X1L8%7CB002LZ1XQC%7CB0044XE6J0%7 CB004XZGKHA%7CB008CXLXZI%7CB008KUV11Y%7CB00AU6EPQO %7CB00J01N3O0%2Cssx%3Arelevance

Who ever came up with the No 5's issue but plate/recoil pad obviously needed a urinalysis test.

tbx-4
01-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Who ever came up with the No 5's issue but plate/recoil pad obviously needed a urinalysis test.

It was not intended to be a recoil pad but a bump pad to protect the butt of the rifle not your shoulder.

Scharfschuetze
01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
It was not intended to be a recoil pad but a bump pad to protect the butt of the rifle not your shoulder.

Interesting. I've labored all these years under a false premise! I wonder why it wasn't considered necessary to protect the butts of Lee Enfields for the first 50 years or so of numerous marks?

Seriously though, can you document that? In reviewing "The Lee Enfield Story" by Ian Skennerton, the butt plate on the No 5 is called only a "kick pad" or a "shoulder pad." From what I can gather, the odd No 5 shoulder pad was developed to further lighten the No 5 (and some experimental No 4 rifles) in comparison to the original brass or metal butt plates on previous marks. Whether the savings of a few ounces was worth it or not (if actually true) is above my pay grade; but it again leads to the question of sobriety in the MOD. :)

dualsport
01-12-2016, 02:01 PM
The slip on pads are great, but, ...I left one on a long time and it changed the color of the wood under it. Very noticeable. Now I remove them before storing.

303carbine
01-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Interesting. I've labored all these years under a false premise! I wonder why it wasn't considered necessary to protect the butts of Lee Enfields for the first 50 years or so of numerous marks?

Seriously though, can you document that? In reviewing "The Lee Enfield Story" by Ian Skennerton, the butt plate on the No 5 is called only a "kick pad" or a "shoulder pad." From what I can gather, the odd No 5 shoulder pad was developed to further lighten the No 5 (and some experimental No 4 rifles) in comparison to the original brass or metal butt plates on previous marks. Whether the savings of a few ounces was worth it or not (if actually true) is above my pay grade; but it again leads to the question of sobriety in the MOD. :)

I really like the way the skinny butt pad on my No5Mk1 heightens the recoil, I also like the short barrel and how it makes the little rifle bark so close to my ears.
I think the dude who thought up the No5 was a masochist and has a liking for pain.:lol:
You can tell which guy it was by the sling on his right arm..........;-)

tbx-4
01-12-2016, 08:01 PM
Seriously though, can you document that? In reviewing "The Lee Enfield Story" by Ian Skennerton,

To be honest, I can't remember where I read that it was designed as a bump pad but the rational went like this:

1. The No5 Carbine was designed originally for paratroopers.
2. The rubber pad was never "soft" even when new.
3. The nick-name "Jungle Carbine" began to used after WWII. More than likely after the Malay Emergency where the handy size of the No5 lent it's self to jungle fighting.

So it was designed to be smaller and lighter than a No4 and to take a beating. Hence the pad was for less weight and protecting the rifle butt.

Also, Skennerton's book is a great resource but it does have it's assumptions and errors.

tbx-4
01-12-2016, 08:10 PM
I really like the way the skinny butt pad on my No5Mk1 heightens the recoil;-)

I figured the British designed the No5 rifle butt and cone type flash hider (that acts more like a rocket nozzel) to enhance the felt recoil thus making their soldiers tougher and meaner one shot at a time!

Still, it's my favorite Lee Enfield!

303carbine
01-12-2016, 08:45 PM
I figured the British designed the No5 rifle butt and cone type flash hider (that acts more like a rocket nozzel) to enhance the felt recoil thus making their soldiers tougher and meaner one shot at a time!

Still, it's my favorite Lee Enfield!

Me too, I guess you can tell that by my forum name....:lol:

Scharfschuetze
01-12-2016, 11:34 PM
An interesting premise that does make some sense tbx-4.

The nick-name "Jungle Carbine" began to used after WWII. More than likely after the Malay Emergency where the handy size of the No5 lent it's self to jungle fighting.

My No 5 still has olive green paint in the nooks and crannies of the action and on the metal under the forearm. Apparently the metal parts were painted all olive green at one time. I understand that this was common in Malaya and Borneo during the Malay Emergency.

303Guy
01-13-2016, 03:09 AM
303carbine, I've received your photo's, thank you, and here they are.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/Jungle%20Carbine%20side%20view_zps7dgmqcth.png (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/Jungle%20Carbine%20side%20view_zps7dgmqcth.png.htm l)
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/Capture_zpswbikrf9l.png (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/Capture_zpswbikrf9l.png.html)
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/Jungle%20Carbine_zpssfvxp6wo.png (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/Jungle%20Carbine_zpssfvxp6wo.png.html)

I'll just slink off and go sulk in jealousy. :mrgreen:

Nice wood on that rifle!

leadman
01-13-2016, 04:34 AM
Remington makes a 180gr RN that is .311"" that shoot very well. I've taken a couple of elk with them and they do a great job.
Nice wood on that rifle for sure.

303carbine
01-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks for putting up the pics Peter, I hope your New Year is sunny and prosperous, John