PDA

View Full Version : reduced load, less powder more pressure?

Motard
01-09-2016, 07:58 PM
So here is a strange (for me) behaviour. I have jet started testing some reduced load on 30-30 wint 94 20 barrel.
Loaded 154gr Mp Boolits with reduced charges Viht N340a and dacron filler and 2.36 Coal
9,0gr 1.728 fps
10,2gr 1.755 fps
10,5gr 1.771 fps
Charges are all well down157683 max pressure based on QuickLoad predicted data. I know judging pressure signes on levergun is different, and way more difficolut, that with B.A. rifles. But it seems to me that the primers are showing more pressure in lighter charges (the 3 on top of pic) than in medium (central) and strongher (down). Am I wrong?

petroid
01-09-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't see anything indicating high pressure. The edges of the primer are still round and not flattened. What at first glance looks like a cratered fining pin strike is, I believe, caused from the firing pin rebounding against the primer after ignition pushes it back.

Hick
01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
I agree with Petroid. These look just like my 30-30 fired primers, and I am not loading hot.

OnHoPr
01-09-2016, 10:34 PM
They still look fine, but I see your point. Maybe you should check into the dacron filler and if that powder has any position sensitivity. One thing to note about the win 94 30-30, it can have different size chambers. The bolt might head space a little sloppy and back the primer out first before the case stretches back against the bolt, hence forth flattening the primer more. They are also known for having oversize firing pin holes which can cause cratered primers. Just a couple of things to think about.

leadman
01-10-2016, 02:25 AM
That powder is in the range of AA #5 so I would think you may not need the Dacron filler. The filler does raise pressure.
You did not state how much filler you are using but when needed in a case that size I would use 1/2gr to 1 gr.

longbow
01-10-2016, 03:00 AM
You are not tamping the Dacron down are you? That would be a bad thing. The Dacron filler should fill the empty space. If tamped down if becomes a wad and that can lead to ringed chambers. No personal experience here I have just read a lot of threads about ringed chambers.

Longbow

Motard
01-10-2016, 04:42 AM
Hallo,
OnHoPr You are right. I had hard time finding the right way to make my boolits feedable in the 94 chamber. Extremely picky rifle, here is the thread about, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?291931-New-to-30-30-boolits-don-t-fit. Now i learned that maintaing such a short COAL and collett mouth under .333 I can feed also the fat .308 MP Hunting Boolits. May be this can affect rebound?
Leadman: filler was in 1,5 - 2 grain range cause of huge emty space, I will reduce.
Longbow:I read the Larry G. instruction so never pushed the dacron, when it pass throu the collet I let the boolits tales seat it. Is it thrue that 30-30 colletts are tall so sometime the stick I use as seater slip down some more than desiderable. If and when it happens filler must be removed?
Thanks all for helping