PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the Bore?

ShooterAZ
01-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Guys, I'm new to muzzleloading. What are you guys using to oil the bore for long term storage? I hope I didn't commit a cardinal sin by using Rem Oil.

Squeeze
01-09-2016, 01:04 PM
nope, your fine. Just dry swab it out before the next loading. Or some alcohol then dry

Pipefitter
01-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Ear wax from a blind, left handed Norwegian watch maker.

Seriously, any good grade of oil, or patch lube will work.

country gent
01-09-2016, 01:09 PM
On my BPCR rifles after cleaning I work bullet lube into a patch and 3-5 passes back and forth thru bore. If long term ( over winter) I leave like this. If during shooting season I run a clean dry patch thru 2 strokes too lighten coating. I use either spg or emmerts Improved for this. The light coat can be left as a pre lubed condition with little effect

Tenbender
01-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Bore Butter

bigted
01-09-2016, 01:49 PM
I have been using the Rem spray for some years now to great effect.

I live in a very damp climat now and the Rem spray oil does a superb job. I clean with cool water with a small amount of dish soap and then after clean and dry ... I spray down with copious amounts of the Rem oil inside and out till it drips [either revolver or rifle]. then as stated above ... I wipe out the bore/cylinders till dry for loading and shooting.

never any rust if I have done my clean/lube in a meticulous manner and I have left my revolvers in an un-heated shed for months at a time with the damp western Oregon weather doing its best.

I have gotten some small amounts of rust when all I used was straight ballistol tho [sad to say] ... I really like the ballistol mixed with water for a very weak moose milk for cleaning as well and then I spray down now with just the rem oil and never have rust issues in any firearms shooting the real blackpowder.

Geezer in NH
01-09-2016, 01:51 PM
RIG, wipe out with a patch wet with alcohol before loading again

fouronesix
01-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Agree with the others about any good oil. The secret is to make sure the bore is clean before oiling and storage.

After a day's shooting- clean and oil. Then for educational purposes.… a week or so after the cleaning and oiling... run a jagged patch down the bore. :)

quilbilly
01-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Bore Butter Or 1000 lube (same thing). I quit using any petroleum oils inside my barrels years ago after I got them seasoned with 1000 Lube even at the end of muzzleloader hunting season before putting them up until spring. Of course I do use petroleum oils mixed with Rig on the outside of my rifles. I heat all the barrels thoroughly with boiling water during cleaning then swab the barrel dry several times following by a saturated cloth of 1000 Lube to keep the barrel seasoned. Rendered bear grease works just as well. Crisco is not so good.

mooman76
01-09-2016, 04:26 PM
I agree, any good gun oil. I switched to Rem oil some time back and switched again after having some rust issues. I though Rem oil was the problem at first but later decided I think it was a change in my cleaning regiment. Us out west in the drier climate can get away with more than in the more humid areas so keep that in mind when you choose a gun oil for storage. Also consider how long between shooting. If it's a year so better oil is in need but for short periods, a lighter oil would do well. Those who clean with water like most do make sure you dry it good before oiling and check every few days for awhile to make sure there is no rust.

waltherboy4040
01-09-2016, 04:43 PM
After pouring boiling water down the bore to clean it, I use slip ewl 2000 on a cotton bore mop.

ShooterAZ
01-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Not a spec of rust so far with the Rem Oil. The reason I was concerned was that it contains Teflon. Apparently it doesn't matter.

idahoron
01-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Guys, I'm new to muzzleloading. What are you guys using to oil the bore for long term storage? I hope I didn't commit a cardinal sin by using Rem Oil.

You are fine with Rem oil. Here is a video I made a while back if you haven't seen it. It is on shooting, lubing and field cleaning.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

Maven
01-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Not a speck of rust with ordinary ATF (fresh from the can, not the transmission!), WD-40, Marvel Mystery Oil, or a combination of the three...and I live in the humid Hudson Valley.

sghart3578
01-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I used Du-Lite's Kwik Seal for many years until I couldn't find it. Many gun manufacturers used it on their production guns for shipment and storage.

I then switched to Mobil One synthetic motor oil. I use the 5W-20 on all of my guns. It is superb.

I have lately tried Remoil. It seems to work well also.

I have a TC Hawken that goes a long time between shooting sessions. I clean it with water only, then I pour more boiling water down the spout. This aids in drying. Then, while still hot, I swab with Mobil One or Remoil.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Vann
01-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Ballistol or bore butter

ShooterAZ
01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
You are fine with Rem oil. Here is a video I made a while back if you haven't seen it. It is on shooting, lubing and field cleaning.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

Ron,

Thank you! That was very informative. I look forward to watching the paper patching video. I have a 54 cal Lyman Deerstalker, with the same sights as yours, except the front is a fiber optic. I see a lot of guys using bore butter to protect the bore...not sure if I want to do that with my rifle. I do use it in my Ruger ROA though.

FrontierMuzzleloading
01-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Bore butter is for noobs that know no better.
https://user.xmission.com/~drudy/hist_text-arch5/msg00973.html

mack1
01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
I use ATF for all bp rifles, it may only be imagination but I seem to have better results when I avoid petroleum with bp. I may try a full synthetic moter oil whin the quart of atf is gone.

rfd
01-11-2016, 09:04 AM
it's not rocket science, any oil will do. i leave a rod with patched jag soaked in wd-40 seated against the breech plug after every shooting/cleaning session.