PDA

View Full Version : pistol caliber ars???

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2016, 11:49 AM
where are they. A couple years ago they were all over now I cant find anything but one 45 acp. I really like a 40sw to run suppressed. I thought of the mec tec conversion for one of my glocks but they don't come threaded and I hate to tie up a handgun and if a guy buys a glock and a mec tec hes into more money then if he just bought an ar. I know stag, Olympic arms and cmmg made them.

lefty o
01-09-2016, 01:12 PM
rock river makes em too.

Omega
01-09-2016, 01:59 PM
where are they. A couple years ago they were all over now I cant find anything but one 45 acp. I really like a 40sw to run suppressed. I thought of the mec tec conversion for one of my glocks but they don't come threaded and I hate to tie up a handgun and if a guy buys a glock and a mec tec hes into more money then if he just bought an ar. I know stag, Olympic arms and cmmg made them.Run a 300 Blackout suppressed, much better than a .40 unless you are just wanting to stay with a .40 for some reason.

imashooter2
01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Run a 300 Blackout suppressed, much better than a .40 unless you are just wanting to stay with a .40 for some reason.

There's a lot to be said for straight wall pistol cases in guns you want to put a bunch of ammo through.

Llyod, I have a Rock River LAR-9 and am pretty happy with it. They sell a .40.

Quarter Circle 10 sells Glock magazine lowers and parts.
http://www.quartercircle10.com/

Japlmg
01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
My son has AR uppers in:
22LR, 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP.
All but the 22LR will run with his Lighting Link.
All except the 7.62x39, are blowback actions, and all were bought off the shelf from various manufacturers.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2016, 05:59 PM
I like the idea of a pistol caliber over something like a blackout because loading is much easier with carbide dies. A can make about any cast bullet subsonic in one and do it all with less powder. It would be even good enough for close up deer hunting and would make a great self defense gun in the home with a lot less penetration then a blackout. To me the Blackhawk doesn't make much sense. Sure it shoots flatter but lacks the power needed to clean kill if you stretch the range much past what you could use a 40 or 45 for. I once witnessed two guys who came pig hunting with there blackouts using suppressed ammo and it wasn't a good showing. if nothing else a 40 or 9 would be probably be cheaper to shoot using cast bullets then a 22 with what there getting for ammo.

JimP.
01-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Just Right Carbine, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp.....i have 9mm with 45 acp kit....can be either, easy to switch, i run 33 round Glock mags made for Glock 18....very fine shooter .....love it.....157763

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2016, 06:28 PM
looked into them Jim but they don't have last round bolt hold open and from what ive gathered there a pain in the but to clean.
Just Right Carbine, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp.....i have 9mm with 45 acp kit....can be either, easy to switch, i run 33 round Glock mags made for Glock 18....very fine shooter .....love it.....157763

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2016, 06:46 PM
jim how does yours do with cast?

vzerone
01-10-2016, 07:00 PM
They are still out there. Oly still makes them in many calibers. I believe STAG just recently came out with 9mm's. There's a fellow on the internet named Rudy that makes direct impingement AR's in 45 acp and believe it or not they run cleaner then blow back. They are expensive though.

dragon813gt
01-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Anyone make one in 10mm that takes Glock mags? Might as well use what's on hand already.

Tracy
01-10-2016, 08:23 PM
They are still out there. Oly still makes them in many calibers. I believe STAG just recently came out with 9mm's. There's a fellow on the internet named Rudy that makes direct impingement AR's in 45 acp and believe it or not they run cleaner then blow back. They are expensive though.

Rudy Koester, Macon Armory. Rudy is a good guy.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 08:43 AM
I don't think stag is making anything right now.

Rick Hodges
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Rock River Arms LAR40
they list it in their website.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/r40car15.gif

jmorris
01-11-2016, 10:39 AM
I only have one pistol caliber AR, bought the kit from model1sales.

mcdaniel.mac
01-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Lone wolf LLC also sells Glock-compatible uppers in .40 and lowers that take the 9/40/357 mags.

Schrag4
01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Palmetto State Armory has been making 9mm ARs for a while now that take UZI or Colt mags, if I'm not mistaken (I don't really know the difference). They somewhat recently started making special AR15 lowers that accept Glock magazines, which I believe requires you to buy a different upper from them.

I really like the idea of an AR that accepts Glock mags, but OTOH I'd want to SBR the lower eventually, and in that case I wouldn't want to be tied down to not only a single caliber but also a single magazine type, even if it is for a gun that will probably be around forever. I'd want the option of putting any kind of upper on the SBR lower.

FYI, this has been on my wish list for a while. With my cast 9mm being cheaper than 22LR for about 3 years, I'd rather have the kids shooting that kind of setup. Plus, once in SBR form, I think I would prefer it over a 223 for inside-the-house defense. I know it would be ear-ringing loud, but still quite quiet in comparison. I'm well aware of the argument against this idea, namely the reduced effectiveness of the 9mm when comparing to the 223 or other rifle rounds. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I believe that the ability to shoulder a light, short weapon (with a red-dot optic) would greatly enhance my ability to put the less effective rounds where they need to go to end the threat quickly, and a 30+ round magazine certainly wouldn't hurt.

Bonz
01-11-2016, 03:26 PM
I have a Colt AR 15 chambered in 9mm and absolutely love it.

You can always buy the Mech Tech kit for a Glock 10mm - https://youtu.be/wfVPEQfmHEA

On the higher end, there is always Thureon Defense for that 10mm - http://www.thureondefense.com/rifles

W.R.Buchanan
01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Lloyd: instead of an Expensive AR why not look at a Kel Tec Sub 2000? I have a Gen 1 gun in 40 S&W which uses all Glock Mags including the 31 round Korean Mags.

The Gen 2 guns are out now and they are running about $350-400 and you can even get near a pistol caliber AR for that. You will find that most of these guns don't hold the bolt open on the last round. They are all Blow Backs and don't seem to have the bolt catch. Must be too hard to do?

Here's a pic of mine which has quite a few mods and it runs and shoots great. The new Gen 2 guns don't need nearly as much in the way of mods as the earlier guns do, but really for a 100 yard gun you don't need to do much at all as they are pretty efficient in Stock form.

One other really neat thing about the gun,,, It folds in half and is 17" long when folded. Mine fits perfectly in a small backpack with all it's support equipment.

Something to consider http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/sub-2000

Randy

freebullet
01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't believe what they want for the 9mm stuff. I could buy a couple quality handguns for the prices on the ar gear.
I owned a couple keltecs and would pass on them for any price over about 50$ .

More and more offerings hitting the market though. That will hopefully drive prices down & let the quality guns shine in the coming years.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
thought about a mec tec but there way to heavy for what they are. About like hauling around a 338mag to shoot 22 shells out of. One advantage is a guy already knows how reliable it will be before he buys it.
I have a Colt AR 15 chambered in 9mm and absolutely love it.

You can always buy the Mech Tech kit for a Glock 10mm - https://youtu.be/wfVPEQfmHEA

On the higher end, there is always Thureon Defense for that 10mm - http://www.thureondefense.com/rifles

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
actually had a kel tec a while back. I didn't like the fact it had that big sight wart it that wouldn't come off and the one I had didn't run a 100percent and leaded badly. Maybe I just got a bad one and there was a reason that one was on the used gun rack. I actually had a high point 40 at the same time and the high point although ugly put the kel tec to shame. It ate everything and didn't lead a bit. My neighbors boy still has it. I gave it to him for plowing my driveway for the winter. Thing must have 50k through it and still runs great. Problem is its still ugly and so is the mec tec. At least that just right carbine looks good. Id sure like to know of someone who ran cast through one. It will kind of replace the 22s that are so tough to find ammo for. Cast bullets are about free and all it costs is a primer and 4 or 5 grains o powder to run a 9 or 40.

Digger
01-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Lloyd: instead of an Expensive AR why not look at a Kel Tec Sub 2000? I have a Gen 1 gun in 40 S&W which uses all Glock Mags including the 31 round Korean Mags.

The Gen 2 guns are out now and they are running about $350-400 and you can even get near a pistol caliber AR for that. You will find that most of these guns don't hold the bolt open on the last round. They are all Blow Backs and don't seem to have the bolt catch. Must be too hard to do?

Here's a pic of mine which has quite a few mods and it runs and shoots great. The new Gen 2 guns don't need nearly as much in the way of mods as the earlier guns do, but really for a 100 yard gun you don't need to do much at all as they are pretty efficient in Stock form.

One other really neat thing about the gun,,, It folds in half and is 17" long when folded. Mine fits perfectly in a small backpack with all it's support equipment.

Something to consider http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/sub-2000

Randy

Another vote for the Keltec ....
Obtained one in forty ,first generation ,from another member here and have been very pleased with it so far .
Using Mihec's 135 gr hp's and a bit slower powder , it has proven to be very accurate and reliable .
Heavy loads to very light loads ,it functions with them all.
Also have the 30 plus glock style mags to use with it and it functions fine so far ....
Have been developing loads in forty for a while to come up with the "the one" for my Keltec P-40 as they quit making them because of the recoil/snap in such a small pistol which now works well and can use it in both now.
The Su 2000 can be an "ugly" looking gun but has proven to be a fun toy to have and enjoy , as Randy has shown ....
I put mine in a backpack also along with my pistols and ammo , set up on the bench , lay the pistols out and pull the the 2000 out and people stop and watch as I unfold and set up ...
some one mentioned "you have seen to many movies !!" one time as I was doing this ..
One backpack holds all , can be a bit heavy with all the ammo too but very convenient .
We do have our choices ...
or as my tagline at the bottom of the page says ....

Tackleberry41
01-11-2016, 06:40 PM
I really like my mechtech, but I only bought the upper, already had the pistol. They do come with the flash hider pressed on, but the barrel is pretty easy to remove and have it threaded. Tho I am not sure if the flash hider they use gets it to 16" and removing it would be a little short. May be why they press them on. It will really throw some bullets down range in a rifle. Figure a good 2-300fps boost easy. I had to try different powders to find one that would keep bullets subsonic in mine.

Cant see an AR in a pistol caliber, yea it works, just alot of extra weapon for pistol bullets. I was not impressed by the just right carbine. Friend worked in a shop that had one, and for the weight might as well carry an AR. And some of the engineering was a bit dubious like being able to make it eject left of right. Just extra machining and weight for not much return. And they stuck with the standard M4 stock, a weapon that really screams for a folding stock.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 08:09 PM
the real problem with the mec tech is tying up one of my glocks. If you have to buy a glock to use with it your looking at near a grand and for that id just get the ar. If I could buy a cheap glock lower or they would sell a complete gun at a price point cheaper then an ar theyd have something. Only black gun hole I have to fill that a glock would work for is a full sized 45 but then I'm stuck with a 45acp or 10mm mec tech.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen a mech tech with a folding stock either.
I really like my mechtech, but I only bought the upper, already had the pistol. They do come with the flash hider pressed on, but the barrel is pretty easy to remove and have it threaded. Tho I am not sure if the flash hider they use gets it to 16" and removing it would be a little short. May be why they press them on. It will really throw some bullets down range in a rifle. Figure a good 2-300fps boost easy. I had to try different powders to find one that would keep bullets subsonic in mine.

Cant see an AR in a pistol caliber, yea it works, just alot of extra weapon for pistol bullets. I was not impressed by the just right carbine. Friend worked in a shop that had one, and for the weight might as well carry an AR. And some of the engineering was a bit dubious like being able to make it eject left of right. Just extra machining and weight for not much return. And they stuck with the standard M4 stock, a weapon that really screams for a folding stock.

GhostHawk
01-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Well I am currently sitting on 3 HiPoint carbines, a .40sw and a pair of 9mm's.
2 were used, paid 260 for the new one, used ones were 200.

I have yet to have a failure to feed, fire, or eject. I have only shot my own cast loads in them.
Red Dot powder, Ben's Liquid Lube, no leading, no problems. I have at least 150 through the .40, same through the new 9mm, maybe 50 through the old one.

The 9's seem to have the accuracy edge. I have 3 matching Truglo red dots on them.
The 9mm's also seem to hold that accuracy better at range. The .40 seems to like to start spreading past 25 feet.

Yes they are limited to 10 shots each, no they are not an AR. (bonus in my book)
Yes they are ugly as sin, ugliest guns I ever owned.

But, a tool does not have to be pretty to work well. In fact I find the ugliest tools sometimes work the best.

They are in my opinion a good value for the money.
They are in my opinion extremely reliable.
They are in my opinion worth trying considering that most of the other options start around 1,000 and go up.
Last, I have yet to see someone punching holes in the bull with one that did not have an ear to ear grin on their face when the magazine went dry.

My wife tried my .40 at 20 feet in the pistol range. I had a 2" shoot and see bullseye sticker stuck on a standard slow pistol target. 10 rounds later all 10 are in the black, the stick on target is pretty much non existant. My wife has this big **** eating grin on her face, hands me the carbine. " Wow, was that fun, I like that red dot thing. Do they make one that doesn't bump my shoulder so much?"

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Sure cant argue with that ghosthawk. Mine was accurate, reliable and fun to shoot but its so darned UGLY. Just a bit to ugly and cheap looking to me. Funny thing is my young grandkids thought it was the coolest looking gun I had and they just loved shooting it. Its to bad highpoint wont sit down and design a better looking package that ran as good as what they have for even a 100 bucks more. Probably not a long gun out there that gives more smiles for the $

Tackleberry41
01-12-2016, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen a mech tech with a folding stock either.

No mech tech doesn't sell such a thing, but it is possible. Mine has a surplus uzi folding stock on it. I just bought the raw upper, no extra rails or anything.

I went thru the same thing with mine, you can have a pistol OR a rifle, not both. I sold the slide on EBay. But I never was a glock fan, had 3 at one point, if you count the one for the mech tech. Sold them all off, so all I have now is the frame dedicated to the rifle. I saw an 80% glock frame.

http://www.polymer80.com/Polymer80-Spectre-80-Pistol-Frame_p_1788.html

Be a whole lot cheaper to build a mechtech that way.

kawasakifreak77
01-14-2016, 01:32 AM
I'd really like a pistol caliber carbine myself but the PCC ARs & AKs cost double what a normal one does! Haven't been able to justify one even though I can afford it. For cheap rifle blasting the 7.62x39 is a proven winner & 300blk offers pistol like perfomance for cheap.

Honestly (& I can't believe I'm saying this...) the high point carbines are darn good guns! Uglier than sin & ergonomic as a cactus but I've yet to see one malfunction, or miss what I was aiming at.

mcdaniel.mac
01-14-2016, 02:08 AM
The biggest issue I had with the HiPoint carbine was the mags breaking.

GabbyM
01-14-2016, 02:12 AM
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx

$1,600 and one can be yours.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/images/products/detail/FAM1Carbinewith30rd1.1.png

wlc
01-14-2016, 02:55 AM
Olympic sell several pistol caliber AR's. http://www.olyarms.com/shop/pistols.html?cat=51

minmax
01-14-2016, 06:30 AM
My Hi-point ran flawlessly, I wish I would not have sold it. I put the ATI stock on it, plus I have a 15 round mag.
My Kel-Tec sub 2000 runs just O.K. Even with all the aftermarket stuff I still don't shoot it much. I keep it as a home defense gun. I like the folding feature, but I wish it was easier to use an optic. Haven't shot a pistol caliber AR. The weigh of both the Hi-Point and the Kel-Tec will be a lot less than the AR.

I still have the 9mm 15rd mag for the Hi-Point, if someone wants it PM me.

A pause for the COZ
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM
This is the one I want. Having the mp-5 roller locking bolt would be nice. Takes allot of ging to get one though.
So I was maybe thinking of getting the pistol one then SBRing it. Have lots of time to decide. Will take a while to save up that much.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zenith-z-5-9mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

mcdaniel.mac
01-14-2016, 08:49 AM
IMO, the new CZ Scorpion is a better MP5 clone than an MP5 clone. $20 mags and new production. I have an older low-serial SW5 SBR, I see them sell for double what a Scorpion costs, and i'd trade it straight up. Scorpion's just a better design.

rototerrier
01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Cmmg mk9t

wlc
01-14-2016, 09:50 PM
IMO, the new CZ Scorpion is a better MP5 clone than an MP5 clone. $20 mags and new production. I have an older low-serial SW5 SBR, I see them sell for double what a Scorpion costs, and i'd trade it straight up. Scorpion's just a better design.

Not knocking the scorpion at all. LGS has one and I've handled it twice now. Just don't like how it feels in my hands. Its a personal thing, nothing wrong with them that I can tell. It is odd though that the only one I have seen so far has sat at the LGS for over a month with no takers.

If not for the cost of admission I'd already have one of the new MKE/Zenith MP-5 clones. Scorpion does beat cost of the MKE guns hands down at almost two to one.

minmax
01-14-2016, 09:57 PM
What did everyone forget about the Taurus 9mm carrbine?
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=889&category=Rifle

Well I guess so.

imashooter2
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
We didn't forget about it. We studiously ignored it. [smilie=1:

GhostHawk
01-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Your link leads me here.

"CTG29 Carbine - CT9
The models listed below are no longer in production and/or imported by Taurus International Mfg. Content is subject to change and is provided here for reference purposes only."

Nuff said?

There is IMO a wide and widening market for pistol caliber carbines.
Compared to normal centerfire rifle the ammo is cheaper. If you shop you can get 50 rounds for what commonly sells for about the same price for 20 rounds.

For fun, plinking, shooting paper at the range they are hard to beat IMO.

To me the platform does not have to be AR, but I'll give a nod to the OP, I can see where AR owners would also be interested. The Marlin camp carbine looks nice, but is hard to find and your talking a grand or more.

That puts it out of my price range. Your mileage may vary.

ReloaderFred
01-14-2016, 11:01 PM
I have the Olympic Arms 10mm AR. Very accurate, but not sub-sonic. It's straight blowback operated and throws the brass into the next zip code, but I like the silly thing. It only takes Olympic magazines, which is a drawback, as they're polymer and expensive. Busting clay birds on the berm at 50 yards is really easy, offhand, and it will drill small little groups at that distance off the bench. I've only played with it at longer distances, so can't really attest to it's accuracy at the longer ranges, but it still bust dirt clods and rocks at 100 yards with regularity.

I also have a Beretta CX4 Carbine in 9mm, but it has one of the worst triggers I've encountered, other than the trigger on the Ruger LCP in .380 acp. It's an accurate little carbine, too, but expensive for what it is.

Hope this helps.

Fred

minmax
01-15-2016, 12:27 AM
To bad your Oly doesn't take Glock mags. I think a 10mm AR would ba alot of fun. Yes, the AR platform is adaptable to alot of configurations. There are other less costly options out in the gun world. None are easily changed to the users wants and needs as the AR. I have a Marlin camp 9, I no idea they were selling that high I bought mine 7 years ago for about $300. The dealer also had a Ruger PC 9, I should have put it on lay-away.

minmax
01-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Oh and the Taurus post was supposed to be a joke. Nothing against Taurus, they just put out a big turd.

mcdaniel.mac
01-15-2016, 12:49 AM
Ruger's just put out a silencer and a new RuGlock and has beefed up in the past few years with DI and piston ARs, a highspeed lowdrag precision tacticool bolt action, and a .300Blackout Mini14. They can't be far behind on a PCC at this point.

Tackleberry41
01-15-2016, 09:05 AM
That Taurus gun had promise, apparently it is a pretty good subgun. It was importing it that screwed it up. It had to come in as a 'sporting' rifle, so meant a special 10rd mag, and the ATF forbid Taurus from trying to go around by supplying a 10rd mag but selling a 30. From what I read, Taurus can never make a high cap mag for that gun, if they do no more imports. They can't even help or allow anybody else to make a hi cap mag for it. Just like the stock, it had to be fixed. Scorpion went with a pistol to avoid that. No idea why Taurus didn't, might have been able to get away with a hi cap mag since its not a 'rifle' anymore. But I guess Taurus sort of gave up on the project as no point in importing something nobody wants due to the magazine issue. I read where there was another subgun mag that could be modified to fit, but were not a type in great supply.

Its the same with the judge, they can't import the original and somewhat more useful version due to the ATF. Its just a 410. So ruin them putting a rifled barrel and that 45/410 chamber.

Intel6
01-15-2016, 06:32 PM
I have KelTecs in both 9mm and .40 and they are OK but I like my .45 ACP that uses unaltered Grease Gun mags! 30 rds of .45 ACP is a lot of fun!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/AR_M3_45_ACP_WEB.jpg

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2016, 08:45 AM
ive had at least one since the 70s. To hard to find brass anymore so it got put in the safe for the most part.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx

$1,600 and one can be yours.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/images/products/detail/FAM1Carbinewith30rd1.1.png

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2016, 08:48 AM
I bet it is. I just passed on a deal. the local gunshop had a beretta cx4 in 45acp. Sticker on it was $450 but the dealer said I could take it out the door for 350. I found out why when I got home. Mags are 40 dollars plus, kind of hard to find, and only 8 round. Only one place has high capacity mags for it. there 15 round and cost $175!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill have to pass on that deal.
I have KelTecs in both 9mm and .40 and they are OK but I like my .45 ACP that uses unaltered Grease Gun mags! 30 rds of .45 ACP is a lot of fun!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/AR_M3_45_ACP_WEB.jpg

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2016, 09:11 AM
sure seems like ruger is missing the boat not coming back out with there pc9 and pc40 today. They were great guns and I think would sell real well right now.

William Yanda
01-17-2016, 10:08 AM
"The Gen 2 guns are out now and they are running about $350-400 and you can even get near a pistol caliber AR for that. You will find that most of these guns don't hold the bolt open on the last round. They are all Blow Backs and don't seem to have the bolt catch. Must be too hard to do?"

Didn't someone here mention the technique of counting rounds and switching mags before running dry? Sure is a low cost alternative. Might be easier if we could load the last three rounds as tracer though for an additional key that a mag change is imminent.
Bill

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2016, 10:25 AM
bill, what gun are you referring to?
"The Gen 2 guns are out now and they are running about $350-400 and you can even get near a pistol caliber AR for that. You will find that most of these guns don't hold the bolt open on the last round. They are all Blow Backs and don't seem to have the bolt catch. Must be too hard to do?"

Didn't someone here mention the technique of counting rounds and switching mags before running dry? Sure is a low cost alternative. Might be easier if we could load the last three rounds as tracer though for an additional key that a mag change is imminent.
Bill

GabbyM
01-17-2016, 03:37 PM
ive had at least one since the 70s. To hard to find brass anymore so it got put in the safe for the most part.

Referencing the M1 Carbine.
Yes brass for lots of things has been short supply for several years now. Things are catching up however. Starline has new 30 carbine in stock. https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/all-cases.cfm

$127 for 500. Probably cheaper to shoot 5.56mm.

I got all excited a couple years ago when I found an import M1 made in 9mm. Then I read up on it to find out they were pretty much junk. The little M1 is a lot smaller and handier than an AR frame. Would make a great 9mm carbine if someone would do it right. Or Ruger's Mini 14 chambered in 9mm. They would sell me one in a heart beat.

W.R.Buchanan
01-17-2016, 05:27 PM
bill, what gun are you referring to?

The top paragraph was from my earlier Post about Kel-Tecs.

Really those or Hi Points are the only affordable options. My S2K runs pretty good.

All of the Pistol Caliber AR's are also heavy and obviously very expensive for what they are. There is Thureon which is about 9 lbs. the JR is right behind that and then there's the ASR Rifle which is much lighter and Pistol Caliber(interchangeable 9,40,45) and the best one out there. Still $800-1300.

http://www.tnwfirearms.com/category-s/1817.htm

Randy

KenT7021
01-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Olympic Arms still produces pistol caliber AR's in 9mm,10mm,40S&W,and .45ACP.They also made some in .380ACP for an overseas contract.

Para82
01-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Just bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 in 40S&W about two weeks ago. Like it so far. Really like the compactness. It's the G22 version. Have only taken it out to the range once so far but it was fine. Wanted the 9mm but ended up with the 40.

Lloyd Smale
01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
where are you finding kel tec 2000s? and where are they 400 bucks. I see them all over but for more like 600 bucks

GhostHawk
01-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Just did a quick search at gunbroker. Full page listing of Keltec's and prices averaged 600$ some over, a few under, but not a lot under.

But the price of HiPoint Carbines has been creeping up also. Hard to find one for less than 350$ now.

vzerone
01-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Anyone make one in 10mm that takes Glock mags? Might as well use what's on hand already.

You may be interest in this since is uses a Glock lower:

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

dragon813gt
01-18-2016, 03:19 PM
You may be interest in this since is uses a Glock lower:

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

Thanks but that's of no interest. Just want to use the mags, not the firearm.

ironhead7544
01-18-2016, 04:47 PM
You can easily build your own. I have a dedicated Black Creek Precision lower (Colt mag) with a RRA upper. It has a bolt hold open. Works great. My 160 gr RN cast 9mm load is very accurate in it. The Metalform and ASC mags work, and the ProMags with a little tweaking work fine also. I have had a number of PCC over the years and the AR style is the best IMHO. I get about 200 to 300 fps more from the carbine over the pistol with high speed loads. The CorBon 115 gr load goes 1515 fps. Most of the standard 124 gr HP loads are right at 1300 fps.

Check over on AR15.com for info on building one.

Glock mag lowers are also available.

KenT7021
01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Olympic Arms builds an AR that uses Glock magazines.

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2016, 08:12 AM
the "just right carbine" might be what your looking for. by the time you buy even a glock lower to put on the mech-tech your into about the same amount of money. Might still be my best bet too. Its about down to one of them or a ar15 and the jr carbine is a couple hundred bucks cheap and like you said uses glock mags that I already have a bunch of.
Thanks but that's of no interest. Just want to use the mags, not the firearm.

W.R.Buchanan
01-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Lloyd: the place to buy anything Kel Tec is from B&H Gunrack in Florida. They are close to KT and get what they want. They also don't gouge prices. That gun should be less than $400 shipped to your FFL, and I think the going price is $359.

http://www.bhgunrack.com/?q=node/44

Their website sucks and you won't find anything on there, So you will have to call them for Price and Availability, but they are a good outfit to deal with. I have bought several guns from them and they have treated me well everytime.

My S2K cost $300+29 shipping to CA. I got it in December of 2012 after Obama got re-elected and there was a feeding frenzy going on big time for AR's and anything Semi-Auto. There was a waiting list. I had to wait a whole week and a half before they shipped it. They weren't gouging prices at that time or ever,,, even though I saw one S2K go for $1200 on Gun Broker from some outfit in MO at the same time. I originally got their name off the KTOG website.

On another note: I just got back from the SHOT Show and I saw this interesting thing,,, go here for a video on the conversion.

http://amgsporting.com/pistol-to-rifle-conversion-kit/

It is essentially a 16" barrel for a Glock with an ingenious stock that clips onto the grip of the gun. I played with it and it is solid. It runs just like the Glock Pistol does with a locked breach and the barrel tilts up upon firing. It has to be more accurate than a Glock Pistol just because of the longer barrel and buttstock.

Right now it is only available in 9MM, but they are working on .40 and .45. The guy at the show said about $180 but the video says $310 Dealer Cost, and $399 MSRP,,,which is way too much for this product! I'd go Kel-Tec for that much. Best thing is that it requires no mod to the gun whatsoever. You simply take out your barrel and replace with theirs, and hook up the buttstock, and you're ready to go. Less than two minutes either on or off.

I also got a Glock Catalog/Magazine at the show, and Glock is claiming 1.5-2.5" at 25 yards from a machine rest from their guns depending on the ammo. Velocity from the Carbine will be substantially higher, and I would expect the same accuracy from 25 yards at 50 yards .

Something else for you to look at.

Randy

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2016, 09:54 AM
kind of cool but I don't have a 17 and it would be more attractive to me if they could engineer a forearm piece that clamps to the front rail.

mcdaniel.mac
01-29-2016, 11:00 AM
kind of cool but I don't have a 17 and it would be more attractive to me if they could engineer a forearm piece that clamps to the front rail.
You could attach any vertical forward grip once the 16" barrel and stock were attached.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2016, 08:13 AM
I was thinking more on the line of a horizontal grip that would allow your support hand to be out farther

mcdaniel.mac
01-30-2016, 08:45 AM
I guess. Personally for the cost of a G17 and the kit ($300+) you're between $600 and $800. If you want an optic (I always do) you're looking at installing something like the Six Second Mount, so somewhere between $650 and $850. That's Keltec, TNW, or JRC money. I built a 9mm AR pistol for $900 that uses Colt mags, but you could do a carbine for $850 if you shop right.

If you have a donor G17 or a line on a cheap one, this kit makes sense I guess. Throw it and the kit in a bug out box for a rainy day, I know I wouldn't do that with any of my full size carbines.

3006mv
02-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Someone reintroduce the Marlin camp nine and forty five, surely their copyright is lapsed by now. Polymer stock and recoil bushing should fix the kinks