PDA

View Full Version : Lee hand press for occasional use?

marlin39a
01-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Reloading room is pretty cold with Winter. Thinking of getting a Lee hand press for doing some resizing in the living room by the fire. Any comments on using one and it's limitations? Probably handgun cartridges and some .223 work.

jmort
01-09-2016, 11:33 AM
You should have no problem doing what you describe. Handy tool. This 8 min video is a good demonstration of how versatile it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kHgzkWoS64

Motard
01-09-2016, 11:39 AM
work well for aout anything up to 45-70 to me. It also helps you fit.

Beagle333
01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
I have two of them and use them for everything. Very handy tools! I load a lot more with the hand press than on the bench mounted ones.

BKS
01-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Use mine for 500 S&W and 45-70 w no problems.

kenyerian
01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I like to use mine for small jobs and for working up loads.

jmort
01-09-2016, 12:00 PM
I have three, breech Lock versions, and have I have yet to find a task that they will not do, but I have never tried forming brass into a new caliber. Most effort I encounter is FL sizing .308, and that is as big as I go caliber wise.

r1kk1
01-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Knuckle Buster, Deer Rattle, still handy for hunting. Mine dates back to the 80s so it's pre breechlock. Watch your hands when sizing cases. It smarts when you bump your knuckles. I hate depriming on it. The Harvey Deprimer is much nicer to use for that task. Shaking spent primers out of it mimics a deer rattle. Mine lives in my hunting bag. At night, in camp, I will reload what I have fired. Varmint hunting when it's hot, it is not uncommon for me to spend quite a few hours reloading and wish I had my progressive there. I have formed cases on mine but not radical stuff. It is a handy tool. It won't replace my bench tools and living in a RV while working, I have a portable bench and a single stage mounted on an Inline Fabrication Mount. It works well.

take care

r1kk1

marlin39a
01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Ordering one up now.

duckey
01-09-2016, 12:36 PM
I have one (my first press) have done a few thousand pistol rounds through it, it will resize and reload up to .375 H&H. I ended up buying a bench mounted press for the big rifle as it was a lot easier and quicker. The hand press is great for arm chair use

Preacher Jim
01-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Great for load development at the bench when you are working on accuracy and checking velocity.
Smaller to pack than my Harrels press so I use it on prepped and prepared cases. Stick to neck sizing if you try and size. Broke first one full lenth sizing a 308.

mdi
01-09-2016, 01:29 PM
My hand press has done everything my single stage press(es) do including F/L sizing for my 30-06 Garand...

GhostHawk
01-09-2016, 02:37 PM
My lee hand press is my main press. No problems at all once I discovered imperial sizing wax, now using a grumpa lanolin variant for all but the big stuff.

I do have a lee classic cast C mounted upside down for gas check/sizing.

marlin39a
01-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Just got the press today. I just processed 100 .45 ACP while sitting out in the 62 degree sunshine. It's portable, and gives the arms some winter exercise. I can't wait to take it to the range.

eli
01-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Enjoy you new press and nice weather. I used mine once to reform .284 Win cases to 7.5 Swiss; didn't have any real difficulty but there are 'better' presses to do that type work with.

dudel
01-19-2016, 07:34 PM
They work great. Limited spent primer capacity; but not a big problem. Get one, you'll find uses for it.

tward
01-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Had 1 for 20 + years, loved it's! Tim :bigsmyl2:

rbuck351
01-21-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't use mine a lot but it does work well. I have sized 300Win easily with the right lube. When doing tough sizing jobs I hold the press with my hands and put my hands between my knees and push with both hands and legs. Takes a lot of the effort out of sizing. I have been thinking about cutting a hole at the bottom of the primer catch part of the ram to let the primers out but then I couldn't use it in the living room.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Are you guys talking about the gadget that you knock the primer out with a hammer? I think you are. I must have a half dozen or so, but I have never used one. I bought a guy out years ago and I guess that is where they came from. I have used the deprime rod to knock out a few primers but that's all.

I should get them out trade/give them to somebody who will use them.

Have a blessed day.

jmort
01-23-2016, 01:14 PM
"Are you guys talking about the gadget that you knock the primer out with a hammer? I think you are."

No, you have the Lee Loaders, classics to be sure. We are discussing the hand press.

Breech Lock Hand Press
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90685.jpg

The new Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. The world`s most popular hand press, more convenient than ever, now includes the Breech Lock Quick-Change Die Feature, so you can instantly change dies with just a twist of the wrist. One Breech Lock Quick Change Bushing included.
The Breech Lock Hand Press is a full size reloading press that tips the scale at a mere 1 3/4 pounds. It gives you plenty of stroke with lots of power to handle the largest magnum cartridges. Whether loading at the range, in your easy chair or in a small apartment, you can't beat the Hand Press.
Maximum overall length this reloading press can accept is 3.650 inches.
The Breech Lock Hand Press is also available as a kit (http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press-kit.html). Great for beginners--the kit and set of dies (http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/) is everything needed to start reloading.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks for setting me straight. I realized that and came back to edit my post, but you beat me to it.

Thanks again.