PDA

View Full Version : My first PC's using HF gun

flysubcompact
01-09-2016, 03:35 AM
First learned about powder coating from a link to this forum. Thanks for getting me here.

I tried the shake/bake method a few months ago and was not happy. Uneven, lumpy coating. Sprung for a HF rig a while back and finally had a chance to try it recently. Love these first ones. My method gets double coat on bands and single coats on base and end. The powder is Dupont and slicks out in 15 minutes at about 350 degrees. You can tell by the smashed one that it is not coming off. Shot about 25 of these and all the barrel had in it at clean up was carbon. Can't wait to do further experiments.

dikman
01-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Nice. I got curious about all these references to the HF gun, so I looked it up. Now I know why you guys use it, it's a bargain at that price. Nothing like it here, so I looked it up on ebay. Two to three times the price, plus shipping of up to $113 to Oz!!!!!

Glad I found the Hi-Tek stuff, no gun required.

flysubcompact
01-09-2016, 04:11 AM
Nice. I got curious about all these references to the HF gun, so I looked it up. Now I know why you guys use it, it's a bargain at that price. Nothing like it here, so I looked it up on ebay. Two to three times the price, plus shipping of up to $113 to Oz!!!!!

Glad I found the Hi-Tek stuff, no gun required.

That would seem odd that shipping to Australia would be that steep. The PC rigs are made in your hemisphere. Go figure.

Met a guy at our local range this weekend who uses the HiTek bullets. He reloads all his range fodder and loves them.

flysubcompact
01-09-2016, 04:21 AM
Another close up pic of just the projectiles. The only place not coated on some is where I filed off jutting sprue nubs. (Those that stick out don't stand well in the oven.)

rancher1913
01-09-2016, 06:03 AM
how did you get double on the bands as you quoted, and only single coat on the rest.

Beagle333
01-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Good looking boolits. :drinks: Spraying works very well and gives a reliably smooth coating.