PDA

View Full Version : Lee Manual - primer recommendations?

runningbear44
01-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Picked up the Lee Reloading manual today and noticed that they don't list which primer to use with specific calibers. Is that right or am I overlooking something?

JWFilips
01-08-2016, 08:01 PM
After stringent testing .....Primers matter

dragon813gt
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Try what you have. If they don't work, try another brand. I personally stick w/ CCI because they are reasonably priced if I had to buy them locally.

Motard
01-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Have one may be less blank shooting CCI primer every two hundred. So they are good enaught for me. If I remember well Mr Lee explain he is using only CCI and another brand (winchester?, not shure) because he feels they are not likely to explode while seating.
At least this is what I remeber I read on first Ed.

runningbear44
01-08-2016, 08:09 PM
The book says to NOT use Federal primers.

dragon813gt
01-08-2016, 08:16 PM
It says not to use Federal primers in the priming tools. I think it's only w/ the Loadmaster or Pro1000 though. They sell a blast shield for one of them.

Lee simply reprints the data. They did not develop it. Use what you have on hand.

dromia
01-09-2016, 04:35 AM
Primers do make a difference, whether you and the target will notice that difference is unlikely in the vast majority of cases.

Regarding the Lee book, buy and use the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition.

Motor
01-09-2016, 07:08 AM
It says not to use Federal primers in the priming tools. I think it's only w/ the Loadmaster or Pro1000 though. They sell a blast shield for one of them.

Lee simply reprints the data. They did not develop it. Use what you have on hand.

All of this true. The do not use primer thing could also pertain to their hand held priming tools also.

I really don't know what the OP means anyway. The only thing I ever saw about specific primers in any manuals are like when Speer will recommend using a magnum primer and they have always done this when using "ball type powder".

The regular manuals show what primer was used when "they" developed the data. You can use any suitable primer brand or type of correct size primer with any published start load.

Yes, you need to use some common sense. If you are loading a high capacity or magnum cartridge it's probably a good idea to use a magnum primer.

But to think that you have to use a WLR because that is what they used and not your CCI-200 is just ludicrous.

Could there be a difference, sure there could, but it won't have anything to do with safety. Plus there is no way in he11 that using their data in your gun is going to duplicate thier results. To assume that is ludicrous too.

BTW: There is a decent amount of useful information in Lee's manual, the load data is surly not it's strong point. To put it nicely, it sucks.

Motor

r1kk1
01-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Have one may be less blank shooting CCI primer every two hundred. So they are good enaught for me. If I remember well Mr Lee explain he is using only CCI and another brand (winchester?, not shure) because he feels they are not likely to explode while seating.
At least this is what I remeber I read on first Ed.

He recommended Winchester and CCI with his priming tools. Of course ram prime and XR hand primer tool you could use any primer you wanted. I take Richard's statements with a grain of salt.

When the next primer shortage comes up, I guess it won't matter.

I like all primers.

take care,

r1kk1

mdi
01-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Lee's published data is "generic" with very little specific component info. Lee gathers data from several different sources; powder mfgs., bullet mfgs. etc., and reprints it. Not bad in theory, but in practice much is left out.

I read a while back that Richard Lee got into an argument with Federal reps over some recommendations about primers in Lee equipment. So, Lee showed them and issued "do not use" statements about Federal primers in Lee equipment. Who knows?...

lefty o
01-09-2016, 01:47 PM
lee's data is taken from other sources, and incomplete. best thing you can do is burn that worthless manual and buy a couple good ones.

r1kk1
01-09-2016, 02:00 PM
So, Lee showed them and issued "do not use" statements about Federal primers in Lee equipment...

I wonder what their issue was with Remington primers? I really don't think Federal's sales were hurt by Lee. I'm still have supply issues with GM primers. I can score them at matches but hardly ever at LGS.

It was Richard's statement about what primers to use that drove me away from his priming tools. To me, it would be akin to a die company telling me don't use Speer or Hornady bullets in their seating dies but use Nosler or Sierra instead.

I did notice when the XR prime was released, it could use whatever primer you wanted. A little late.

Take care

r1kk1