PDA

View Full Version : front sights

tdoyka
01-08-2016, 05:13 PM
i'm going to order a 25" MGM heavy factory barrel(.810") in 38-55 win. i would like open sights and i've already found a rear sight(http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141928/williams-wgrs-encore-guide-receiver-peep-sight-thompson-center-encore-encore-prohunter-omega-triumph-aluminum-black ). i don't know what to do about the front sight. any help will be greatly appeciated.

JWFilips
01-08-2016, 08:04 PM
I preferrer Aperture Rear and Lyman 17 Front both with apertures

rhbrink
01-08-2016, 08:34 PM
i'm going to order a 25" MGM heavy factory barrel(.810") in 38-55 win. i would like open sights and i've already found a rear sight(http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141928/williams-wgrs-encore-guide-receiver-peep-sight-thompson-center-encore-encore-prohunter-omega-triumph-aluminum-black ). i don't know what to do about the front sight. any help will be greatly appeciated.
I have used that rear sight on a few rifles and they are OK they are little difficult to get adjusted but once you get them where you want they lock down OK. What are you going to do with the rifle? Hunting I would go a bead, gold, white, or plain black. Target shooting then a hooded front sight with changeable apertures works well.

RB

country gent
01-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Having used rer appeture and front post ( service rifles Garand, M1A, and AR-15) apetures front and back ( NRA match rifles, bpcr rifles, small bore) and notched rear front post ( hunting or sporting rifles, handguns ) alot depends on the use of this rifle. a gold or ivory bead front might stand out well for hunting against most back grounds. A simple hooded front post with a notched rear will make a nice set up for hunting or plinking. If this rifle is to be used on bullseye targets ( round) apetures work very well. A mistake most make with apetures is getting them set to small, idealy you want 1 - 1 1/2 rings ( size of target rings) rear appeture around the front and the same front to bullseye. You then keep the lines of white even and equal, also the eye naturally centers these up nicely when set up as above. I hunted with rear appeture and post for years with good results also.Alot depends on the use you have for this rifle.

Scharfschuetze
01-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Your 38/55 is not going to be a flat shooting rifle, so if you are planning on long range shooting, you'll need a sight with much more elevation adjustment than the one in your link. If your rifle will accept it, a good long slide Lyman or similar sight with at minimum 60 MOA of elevation would probably be a good option.

For a front sight, the Lyman 17a would (as noted above) be a good choice. With it, you will have the option of two widths of blade or post sight inserts, a bead option as well as several diameters of aperture front inserts. They also come in different heights, so you can buy a height that will allow you to zero while getting the most out of your usable elevation with your rear sight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/765181/lyman-sight-insert-set-series-17a

If you really get serious, a Merrett diopter rear sight insert will give you the ability to vary your aperture size to account for your personal preference, light intensity and your eye relief to the sight depending on your position.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=merritt+

Doc Highwall
01-14-2016, 05:58 PM
tdoyka, what kind of gun is this MGM barrel for?

tdoyka
01-14-2016, 07:49 PM
mine will be a tc encore. i plan on hunting deer with it out to 150 yards. it depends on what cast boolit either the 235gr ranch dog or the 275gr lyman gc fn. i like the rear aperture sight but the front one i'm still debating.
long range.....about 300 yards. it won't be for a trophy or anything like that. just for fun...

ironhead7544
01-14-2016, 07:58 PM
A Patridge blade would be my choice. Skinner makes nice front sights.

Doc Highwall
01-14-2016, 09:03 PM
tdoyka, here is my Encore chambered in 22lr that I set up for both scope and iron sights.

StuBach
01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
That is an interesting rifle. I like the military style precision stock and the Anshutz front site. Is that a Lyman or a redfield rear?

Doc Highwall
01-29-2016, 09:48 PM
It is a Redfield rear sight and Anschutz front.

StuBach
01-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Very nice. Have the Redfield International set on my Win 52D.

To the original post, I have a Win 70 with a Williams rear site and am not fond of it at all. If the boys in Davison (Williams Gun Site shop) hadn't butchered the custom stock to install it I would have chucked it ages ago. My recommendation would be to follow Doc's example and troll eBey for vintage Redfield, Lyman or Parker Hale sites that will work. Nice thing about Redfield is the site itself is straight and just attaches to a custom plate fitted to the side of the receiver.

M-Tecs
01-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Doc Highwall. How do you like the Choate stock? I am thinking of one for a Contender

Doc Highwall
01-30-2016, 11:39 AM
M-Tecs, I really like it as I can raise the cheek piece enough for my eye to look through the scope.

I also have a collapsible one using a buffer tube for a M-4.

Scroll down to post #15 and #17, you can see both stocks together, and they are available for both the Contender and the Encore.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?295489-TC-Barrels