PDA

View Full Version : 1 million s&w shields

sandman228
01-08-2016, 01:48 PM
there's a local gun shop I deal with a good bit close to my house I was in there bs ing with my old 5th grade teacher the other day ,he still remembers teaching me ,my son ,and my daughter (he's retired now works at gun shop mostly as a hobby) and was telling him I recently traded my glock 43 in on a smith&wesson shield 9mm . he was telling me that's also what he carries and that they cant even get them in stock right now . I don't know if this is completely true or not but he was telling me that the shield has been on the market 3 years now and s&w just shipped there 1 millionth shield . WOW that's allot of shields ,has anyone else heard anything like this ? they are a great gun imho I'm very happy with mine . ive only put about 200 rounds through it so far but in my hands its much more accurate than the g 43 I traded in on it .

Bonz
01-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I had a .40 shield and still have my 9mm shield. Bought both of them when they first came out and were selling above manufacturers suggested retail prices. I sold the .40 shield because I didn't like it but love the 9mm shield and would never sell it.

sandman228
01-08-2016, 02:13 PM
I was thinking I wouldn't mind having a shield in 40 s&w but I also think it will be a handful to shoot. what didn't you like about it just curious ?

bedbugbilly
01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm more of a "revolver guy" - love vintage Smiths and usually carry a Model 36 Snub or a 36 3". I only owned one semi-auto - a Ruger SR9 - had it for about 9 years and it shoots fine. Last spring, I started looking for a single stack 9mm and had heard so much about the Shield that it was one of the first ones I looked at. Looked at Springfield, Kimber, Glock 43 (liked it a lot but supply was limited at the time), as well as others. Kept going back to the Shield. I bought it and have manila shot my re-loads through it to get used to it, etc. before switching to it to carry at times.

I have had absolutely no issues with it at all. It eats anything I feed it. I got mo loads worked up for it and after a few range sessions, I finally got comfortable with it. It's funny . . . when you buy a new pistol, you sometimes like it but do find "something" that bothers you a little. Not so for me with the Shield. I wanted the safety . . . I know some don't like 'em that way but if you don't want to use it, leave it off. I sweep it with my thumb anyway when drawing. I just can't say enough about the Shield . . . of course based on my experiences and others may not like it but I think S & W really got it "right" with this model. I find it's easy to break down for cleaning. Some have had issues I know with the recoil spring but if you put it back the way it should be, it should be just fine. I purchased a couple of extra 8 round magazines for it as well. I carry OWB and I find it to be a very light weight and easy to carry pistol . . and it conceals just fine under a jacket, shirt tail, sweat shirt, etc.

I'll also mention . . . in my own experience . . . I find the recoil very manageable and I could shoot it all day without a problem. For me, with a practiced grip, I'm finding it one of the easiest pistols I have ever shot to recover the sight picture on when shooting double taps, etc. Guess you can't tell I really like mine, huh? :-)

35remington
01-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Extremely doubtful. Smith would have to exceed its yearly production numbers by an order of magnitude to come close to that number.

Afraid it's really bad information you were given.

aHFo3
01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
The Shields have been out of stock since before Christmas. I don't know if there's a New Years lag with the holidays or if it's because Shot and NRA shows are coming up.

shoot-n-lead
01-08-2016, 02:45 PM
The Shields have been out of stock since before Christmas. I don't know if there's a New Years lag with the holidays or if it's because Shot and NRA shows are coming up.

Just was looking at gunbroker...there are 316 listed, there.

aHFo3
01-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant the distributors have been out of stock.

marlin39a
01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
After 40 years of searching for the perfect carry pistol I found the Shield. Mine is 40 cal.

BigAl52
01-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I have one in 9mm and love it. Haven't shot it as much as I should but it likes 124r bullets when I do. Carry it every day. Al

Thinktwicez71
01-10-2016, 11:37 PM
i just got a shield recently in .40 cal , so far i love it , waiting on my whitehat maxtuck holster to come in for it :)