PDA

View Full Version : 458 socom expanding die

jarrodl
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
I am trying to load for a 458 socom. I have a Hornady 2 die set. It doesn't come with an expander. I have heard good things about a Lyman m die. They Don't Make A Socom Die. Will a 45-70 die work or is it too long for the socom to fit. Or does anyone have a better die recommendation.

rockrat
01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
See if NOE has an expander, like an "M" die, that will work in a lee universal expander.

My Lee dies have an expander, you might just be able to buy that, maybe at Midway or elsewhere

Tackleberry41
01-07-2016, 03:45 PM
The shoulder would be the issue in the 45-70 die. But the NOE expanders work really well.

GabbyM
01-07-2016, 04:09 PM
The Lyman short die body fits rounds as small as the 380's. Long die body would be to long for any case that fits in an AR magazine.
I'd check into the NOE also.

Edster
01-07-2016, 04:16 PM
the M die is caliber specific but not necessarily cartridge specific. The .45-70 M die will work but you need the long stem. The standard .45-70 M die with the short stem will not screw down far enough to work in the SOCOM. Call Lyman to order and tell them what cartridge you want it for and they will put in the long stem instead of the short one, then it will work perfectly.

Depending on who you get on the phone they may refer to the stem as the holder

jarrodl
01-07-2016, 05:20 PM
So would I be better off with the Lee universal flaring die for $20 or paying $38 for a full Lee 3 die set? The set doesn't get good reviews.

Edster
01-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Lee doesn't have the best of reviews in the 458 community. So it is either Hornady or Redding. I have the Redding dies, Lyman M expander and Lee FCD for my 458 set up

dkf
01-07-2016, 09:26 PM
You can use a Lee universal expander with a plug the size you need from NOE. Or you can get the Lee powder through expander die for the .458socom and make a custom stem if need be. I took a chance on the Lee die set for .458socom (a lot of guys didn't like them) but I have had no problems with the Lee set. The powder through expander that comes with the 3pc die set is not the same as the universal expander die. I use a .458socom factory crimp die to crimp/remove the flare.(collet type)

jarrodl
01-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Edster. What kind of Lyman m die do you use? That is what I am trying to find out, because AFAIK, they do t make one labeled 458 socom.

jarrodl
01-08-2016, 12:04 PM
If the Lee is universal, why would I need a NOE plug?

Tackleberry41
01-08-2016, 06:58 PM
The lee isnt an expander, tho they call it that, it should be labelled as a flaring tool. Its just a cone that flares the neck so it wont shave a cast bullet, but does not expand at all. Its not very expensive, does have its uses, and fits the NOE expanders that do work well. I bought a second lee tool as a holder so I do less swapping. The Lee flare units can be used as spacers.

jarrodl
01-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Does a case need expanding or just flared enough not to shave the bullet? If it's expanded too much, won't it cause it not to chamber? I guess I dont understand the difference. Are the NOE plugs expensive?

Tackleberry41
01-09-2016, 09:48 AM
A standard expander that comes with a die set is for jacketed bullets, it will work, just not as well as the slightly larger one for cast. I started out just using the flare tool w whatever expander came with the die set. Its not a huge difference, it would be expanded to .459 vs .458.

The NOE expanders are only $7.

jmorris
01-09-2016, 10:14 AM
The 458 socom won't fit in a 45-70 Lee Powder/expander die. If you bored it out a bit it would but then you would also need to part off some of the threads because the die is also too long.

dkf
01-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Does a case need expanding or just flared enough not to shave the bullet? If it's expanded too much, won't it cause it not to chamber? I guess I dont understand the difference. Are the NOE plugs expensive?

Tackleberry41 is right the Lee Universal "Expander" is really a flare tool only. It becomes somewhat of an expander with NOE's plugs.($6.50 each)

You can try just putting a decent flare on the case and seat the cast bullet. I have done flare only with the .458 and cast already with no problem. Depends on what size bullet you are using, bullet hardness and etc. Basically you just don't want to swage the bullet size down. Use the Lee .458soc FCD to remove the flare.

Brazos_Jack
11-29-2016, 10:39 PM
the M die is caliber specific but not necessarily cartridge specific. The .45-70 M die will work but you need the long stem. The standard .45-70 M die with the short stem will not screw down far enough to work in the SOCOM. Call Lyman to order and tell them what cartridge you want it for and they will put in the long stem instead of the short one, then it will work perfectly.

Depending on who you get on the phone they may refer to the stem as the holder

I know that this is an old thread, but it seemed to lack conclusion. The SOCOM body diameter is much larger than the .45-70. So using a .45-70 die without extensive modification will not work. On the other hand, since the .45-75 has a shorter case that is even larger in diameter than the SOCOM, the Lyman M die for the .45-60/.45-75 works as is with no changes. That is what I am using.

djryan13
06-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Reviving this old thread because I was trying to find a better option recently....

So, I tried the M die and for 458 cast, I am happy. But I need 459 sized. So, I gave the $10 Lee powder through 458 socom die a shot. Works perfectly. My ultra clean brass (new or wet tumbled), is a bit stiff to expand with the Lee compared to the M die, but maybe a little lube or polishing of the expander might help. I am much happier with results now... and if you know me, I am NOT a Lee fan.