PDA

View Full Version : problem with gas check

acsteve
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I usually just thumb on checks on 45/70 boolits and size through a Lee sizer. Works great. But...thumbed on checks onto 49 lee 329" 8x56r boolits and sized. They seemed to pass through with little resistance, but the checks were dented up by the point of the following boolit and distorted. Any suggestions? I have kicked around making a longer brass boolit pusher thing which would mount in my press and not distort the checks? What am I doing wrong? Checks seem well seated before being sized.

HeavyMetal
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head! Your bullets are denting the check on the bullet still in the sizer die.

It may feel very easy to you as you push them through but remember how much presure you can generate with a toggle link press!

I also think you've come up with your own answer, make the punch longer or make a soft lead pusher to go between the bullets. Down side of that is you'll need to make a ton of them or open the catch container each time you do a bullet.

I'd try the longer punch first and don't make it big enough to touch the sides of the die!

acsteve
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
thought I would try to make a longer punch which would fit into the shell holder portion of the press out of 1/2" brass rod with a file and drill press.

Scrounger
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
You could also shorten the tube (sizer) the bullet goes through. Make it short enough so that the sized bullet falls into the tray as soon as it exits the actual sizing area.

runfiverun
04-21-2008, 01:08 AM
on my star i just push them through base first w/o lubing or set up to lube
in reverse a lee would be easier to do this on.
however since firing will put that same dent in the middle [ at least on the ones i have recovered]
i didn't see what the deal was?