PDA

View Full Version : A general ? on 7 X 57 Persian Mauser and values

bedbugbilly
01-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I will start out by saying that I am "out of touch" on the values of milsurp long guns. I sold all of what I had many years ago and I'm of the age when I can remember buying 303 Enfields, etc. for $35 to $45.

So that said. . . .

I have a 1907 Danzig GEW98. In looking on GB in the past, I've seen these in average shape for around $250 plus or minus -some at $350, etc. I'm sure some might be more and some less.

The other day, when cruising one of the LGS that I go to, I was going down the "used racks" in search of a 30/30 Winchester and spotted what I thought was a GEW98 8mm. Upon picking it up and looking at the tag, it was listed as a "persian 7 X 57 Mauser". I don't remember the date on the receiver but if I remember correctly, it may have been in the 1905 - 08 era? To me and my un-trained and un-educated eye, it looked just like a GEW98 8mm Mauser. It was missing the cleaning rod. Fairly decent dark walnut stock - Persian markings, etc. Overall, it looked good for a rifle over 100 years old - especially a milsurp.

I've been thinking about it ever since I saw it. I have no interest in buying it but am curious about it. The rifle is consigned and they have a price of $749.99 on it. I know the gun shop folks and I have a feeling they would not put a price on it that they thought they couldn't get out of it - along with the consignee agreeing to the price - even if there was "wiggle room". So what is it about this rifle that makes it a $750.00 rifle? The caliber of 7 X 57 as opposed to a standard GEW98 in 8 X 57? Is it more "scarce" than others and thus the price higher?

I'm guessing that these "Persian Mausers" were supplied by Germany to Turkey?

Sorry I don't have any other information on it nor a photo . . . it just struck me as a high price on a "milsurp" - for what it was . . . but I'm not a collector and freely admit I know nothing about them . . . thus I ask on here.

Thanks!

Jim

Uncle Grinch
01-06-2016, 08:56 PM
I seem to remember Sarco or Samco selling these many years ago in unissued or like new condition. Don't remember the amount, but they were expensive back then. I loved looking at them, but could not afford them.

Maineboy
01-06-2016, 09:06 PM
I seem to remember Sarco or Samco selling these many years ago in unissued or like new condition. Don't remember the amount, but they were expensive back then. I loved looking at them, but could not afford them.
I remember seeing those "Persian Mausers" too but I believe they were in 8mm; I could be wrong though. Like you I thought they were nice but quite expensive.

LAGS
01-06-2016, 09:16 PM
The Persians don't go for that much more, than the Turkish.
Turks go from $100 to $175.
I picked up some 98/22's for around $100 and recently have seen them for $200 in Very good shape.
But they were ALL 8mm
I dont know if the 7mm was a Persian Round.
I will have to look that one up.

LAGS
01-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Yep, I checked, and the 98/29's from Iran from Chech manufactures wer 7.92 or what we call an 8mm.
They may have it listed as 7mm but it is probably 7.92 mm
But still that price is high, unless it is MINT Factory with a Bayonet or maybe the rarer short Carbine in perfect condition.
There were three different mausers made for Iran, and I see no rearon why they would comand a price over $400.00.
But maybe someone is willing to pay more.

koger
01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
That gun should top out at $450-500, sitting used. Mint in the crate, that would be the ball park asking price, if you desparately wanted one.

bedbugbilly
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Thank you all for your kind responses - greatly appreciated. As I said, I know nothing about them but just thought the price was on the "high plus" side. It was in nice shape but not what I would classify as "minty". I'd rate it at perhaps 80%. I had just assumed that those were all 8mm . . . and perhaps it is and just mismatched. Thank you all for the information. I'm old but at least I now know that I'm not "losing it"! LOL

bouncer50
01-07-2016, 01:08 PM
My friend bought one from Samco it was in 8mm i think he paid around 500 bucks for it about 10 years back. His like in brand new shape with the bayonet. I could be wrong but i believe they were made in the 1930s.

keyhole
01-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Purchased a 98/29 Persian Mauser from Samco through an FFL holder 20+ years ago. Paid a little extra to get "special selection" condition, or similar wording. Mine was made by CZ and is so marked on bolt and a few other parts. Paid about $200. Condition was certainly not mint or unissued. In fact, it has unit markings stenciled on the stock in white paint. Caliber is definitely 8 X 57. Have fired many hundred of rounds with no issues.
Unless there is something remarkable about the rifle you are seeing in the gun shop, $750 seems pretty steep.

bedbugbilly
01-07-2016, 01:58 PM
The one thing I do know about it is that the receiver was marked in the 1904 - 1908 . . not sure just what but it was a "O"(ought) date as I was thinking it was just about the age of my GEW98 that is a 1905 Danzig - Pre WWI (1914-1919). Had it been priced in the $200 - $250 range I probably would have been interested in it to have a "mate" to my Danzig . . but it just seemed "over priced".

Dutchman
01-07-2016, 06:00 PM
The Czech Persian 98/29... the 29 stands for 1929. But the contract ran into
the 1930s. Mine is dated (in Farsi) 1933.

Minus the scope & mount you couldn't touch this rifle for less than $500.
The action & triggerguard assembly alone are worth $250. Some of you
guys are way out of touch for what these kinds of rifles are worth.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,srsdggtqwfrgrqgxwfqbfsgtwfb,vi/fwddbsgfkxttsrkfrwk/2/28344/6806565/DSCF1765k-vi.jpg

Matching number bayonet & scabbard is absolutely cherry. Add about $150 to that
$500 rifle and you have a very cool collectible.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,dtsdqkbdwtbfqdxwfqbfsgtwfb,vi/fkdttrsrsxfqbbwrkfb/2/28344/2974527/bb08-vi.jpg

LAGS
01-07-2016, 06:18 PM
A Mint rifle for $500 , so what would that make a 80% rifle ?
Just dollarwise, that comes to $400
But the value drops off considerably as the condition decreases, not a straight Linear percentage.

PS Paul
01-07-2016, 07:47 PM
I was waitin for Dutch to chime in.......
Dutch, that's ANOTHER beauty ya got there. Love seein your pics! I recall another member here a few years back described you as a "tour de force" regarding Mausers and your knowledge/experience. He was right.

Dutchman
01-09-2016, 07:25 AM
A Mint rifle for $500 , so what would that make a 80% rifle ?
Just dollarwise, that comes to $400
But the value drops off considerably as the condition decreases, not a straight Linear percentage.

You're quite right, not a straight linear percentage. An 80% Czech Persian might be $275. There's a big jump as the condition goes up. I looked at Gunbroker.com yesterday and there was only 4 of these 98/29 priced from $500 to $750, asking prices yes.

Dutch

Dutchman
01-09-2016, 07:27 AM
I was waitin for Dutch to chime in.......
Dutch, that's ANOTHER beauty ya got there. Love seein your pics! I recall another member here a few years back described you as a "tour de force" regarding Mausers and your knowledge/experience. He was right.

Life long student of Mausers. Fifty years now.

Thanks for the kind words :-)

Dutch