PDA

View Full Version : PC scratching off

Jruby38
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Should powder coat scratch off with a thumbnail? The reason I ask is that I am getting leading in the first inches on my pistol target loads in 45 ACP and 9MM. I am using HF red and they pass the smash test. I think the fouling is melted powder coat because I have to use a stainless bore brush to remove it.

bangerjim
01-06-2016, 05:57 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You either have grease on your boolits, or you are not baking them at 400F for 10 min after the PC turns shiny.

Check your oven and do not trust the dial. They may be smash-able but you have some serious sticking problems.

Those are easy cal's to shoot PC in. I do it all the time.

Never had a bit of problems with HF red in over 3 years.

banger

Smoke4320
01-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Should powder coat scratch off with a thumbnail?

no it should not .. I would make SURE your oven is at 400 degrees for 15 Minutes .. DO NOT trust the oven dial or digital readout

Hickok
01-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Oh my, jumping Jehoshaphat and winged horny toads! I hate to hear you are using a stainless steel brush in your barrel!

popper
01-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Use a patch soaked in MEK or acetone to clean the PC off. Or copper choreboy on a brass brush ( solvent) - NOT SS. Every once in a while I get some leading or fouling, only clean when it occurs - or just shoot a couple jacketed.