PDA

View Full Version : lead source

jrinne0430
04-20-2008, 02:54 PM
What source do you obtain your lead from?...what is a good source?

AllanD
04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
commercial scrap dealers.

And though I haven't tried this I'm sure I could go to a U-pull-it junkyatd with a 5gal pail and a pair of wheelweight pliers and collect off the junkers...

AD

imashooter2
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Most recently, indoor range scrap. WW are unobtainable around here except at the ruinous prices the scrap yards want.

mooman76
04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I seen where someone posted here that they saw a newspaper add for WWs showing how bad things are getting but actually I think it was probubly not a bad idea. If a couple guys were to get together and place they might find some sources locally and save some leg work.

tarbe
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I saw an add for WW on Craigslist in Houston recently. Getting pretty bad when folks have to resort to WTB ads for lead.

I have resorted to "networking"...I even put a bug in my Barber's ear yesterday. I bet that will get some results! Those guys have lots of contacts...

Tim

cohutt
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Scrap dealer
radiation shielding contractor
berm mining (labor intensive)
anywhere else i can find it, even in the gutter while I'm excercising, running or walking - here is what i picked up last week:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc103.jpg

randyrat
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Dang "cohutt" your as bad as i am, i'll grab even a little stubby WW of the street.
You have to spend time doing your PR work and network constantly, never give up. Succes = Work,Work,Work.... Don't go in a tire shop with desparation in your eyes, they can always smell blood.

imashooter2
04-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Scrap dealer
radiation shielding contractor
berm mining (labor intensive)
anywhere else i can find it, even in the gutter while I'm excercising, running or walking - here is what i picked up last week:

So why did you pick up the three little rocks?[smilie=1:

Goatlips
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm ashamed to be seen picking up wheelweights from the gutter, so I just pretend to be going after cigarette butts; I seem to get more condescending sympathy and tolerance from passers-by. And I've cut back on my cigarette bills, too. :mrgreen:

Goatlips

runfiverun
04-21-2008, 12:38 AM
that was to balance the right side to the left? lol

cohutt
04-21-2008, 06:10 AM
i don't know where the little rocks came from- might have been in the box i was tossing the WW whn i got back. week ago I had scavenged some leftover gravel from a road project that completed near my house and had been slinging it around, so maybe it came for that? damn mysteries......thanks

it adds up though. This wall of 6.25 lb bricks came from WW picked up on runs:

(not:rolleyes:)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/pb/misc106.jpg

jawjaboy
04-21-2008, 06:13 AM
A wall of gold!:mrgreen:

10-x
04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Down here on the coast the few casters of our type have to compete with the other kind of casters, the fishermen. Seems the sinker casters grab most of the WWs around here. Been to a few tire stores and finally found one that sells WW at a flat $35.00 per full 5gal plastic bucket!Needless to say I check this source often. My next visit will return the last bucket and enclose a gift card at a local eatery.
"You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.":castmine:

dakotashooter2
04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
TRUCK STOPS at 3 am. [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Seriously , the local truck/tire store has a pretty good supply that pretty much goes uncliamed here but he recently discovered what a scrap dealer will give him so my price just went up to abou $50 a bucket. I have managed to salvage about 400-500 lbs of pure stuff for free though. I'm gonna try a 2 (ww) to 1 mix and quench them to see what I end up with.

Fortunately my demands are really not more that a couple hundred ppounds a year if that. But I am stashing anything I can get.

targetshootr
04-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Tire shops are where I get all mine. If you average the free buckets with the $20 buckets, the prices are't bad.

RustyFN
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I would show you a picture of my lead score but I don't think you would be impressed with the 15 pounds I have been able to get.:lol: I just started about a week and a half ago and they are hard to get around here. I think I should have some comming in the end of the week.
Rusty

Ifishsum
04-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Just got the bug to start casting, and after being turned down at most of the tire stores I visited, I just started networking and managed to scare up about 125# last week. My best contact was the guy who just roofed my house, he hooked me up with some old lead flashings and vents (about 75 lbs worth) and said he'll be able to get me more. Got a couple coffee cans of miscellaneous lead from a co-worker who at one time thought about casting, but never got around to it and probably won't. Another friend has a 5 gal bucket of WWs he's had for several years and admitted he probably won't do anything with it in the foreseeable future so I should get some of those this week.

Put the word out to people you know or meet up with, you might be surprised what you can shake out of the bushes.

jrinne0430
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I tried the tire shops with no luck however; just checked with the scrap yards and they sell used WW for 42 cents a pound. I guess I will visit them.

38 Super Auto
04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
My last source here in town dried up. He told me the guy that sells him new WW is buying his scrap WW for recycling. Everyone else in town already has a deal negotiated with recyclers, DAVs or other enterprising dudes. I'll keep looking.

Also, my main scrap guy went from charging 60c/lb to $1/lb for lead and WWs are 85c/lb

Boerrancher
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I went to my local Farm and Home supply store and talked to the tire shop manager there. He was more than glad to give me all of the WW that he pulls, because the local scrap dealer was charging him $0.60 a pound for a hazmat disposal fee. I told him I would recycle them for him for free. I left him a couple of 5 gal buckets and every couple of weeks I go there and pick one up. My Step-father's uncle owned a tire shop for years and saved all of his WWs. He has hundreds of 5 gal buckets sitting all over his farm. I will get most of them as well.

Best Wishes,

CPT T.

2muchstuf
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
38 Super Auto;
Even at .85 / lb you can still cast 100 200gr. for under $3 . Thats not too bad.
I don't like the current prices ether, but casting is still cheaper than Js.

Boerrancher:
You'r one lucky dude.

crabo
04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Here's what 600 pounds of roofing lead looks like. I paid .50 a pound for it from a local roofer. I told him I would pay him what a scrap yard would pay him. He even delivered it.

Crabo

cohutt
04-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Here's what 600 pounds of roofing lead looks like. I paid .50 a pound for it from a local roofer. I told him I would pay him what a scrap yard would pay him. He even delivered it.

Crabo

That pile of scrap on a dirty shop floor gave me flashbacks:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/Bulletlab018.jpg