PDA

View Full Version : Happy day~

stubbicatt
01-06-2016, 03:26 PM
So had a rough weekend, as my business burned to the ground. :(

So today went to a local indoor range and shot my 1904 High Wall in 32-40. Shot fixed ammunition, 200 grain Saeco tapered bullet, 13.8 grains IMR 4227, bullet seated long into the tapered throat. I was trying to zero my new-to-me Fecker scope. Took awhile. Shot nearly 25 rounds, but I have a rough zero, and I'm gaining familiarity with the scope.

At 100 yards off a rough rest shot a 3 shot 1" group.

Not bad for a 112 year old rifle shooting plain base cast bullets with ME pulling the trigger. -I'm sure others could have done much better.

Was the first happiness I've had in a few days.

Still struggling to learn this scope.

I think this time I'll not clean the barrel. Wipe out the chamber, but leave the barrel alone. I think it shoots better with some deposits of grease in it.

mozeppa
01-06-2016, 04:06 PM
wow!

what kind of business?:shock:

pietro
01-06-2016, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and can only hope/pray that you had fire insurance.

Hickok
01-06-2016, 05:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and can only hope/pray that you had fire insurance.

.+1. Hope it turns out well for you.

cumminsnut76
01-06-2016, 07:01 PM
How's everything comes out ok

country gent
01-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Stubbicatt, You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. One thing to remeber is to take some time and think things thru, get information if needed before jumping back in. Not sure what you buisness was but re starting may or may not be a plus.

MrWolf
01-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Praying everything works out with your business.

Bzcraig
01-06-2016, 11:37 PM
well wishes and prayers as well! I totally relate to going to the range for an attitude adjustment.

smoked turkey
01-07-2016, 12:35 AM
Boy what a terrible thing. I am sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you have a good handle on what to do under stressful and severe circumstances. I also hope you were adequately covered by insurance and that they live up to your expectations for replacement.

stubbicatt
01-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the good wishes fellas. But 1" at 100 yards! With plain based cast bullets! Home made lube. I was stoked, let me tell you. I knew the rifle was a shooter, but from a rough rest to be able to shoot that sort of group was a surprise even to me. I'm confident that it will do better than that once I sort things out, and remember to return the scope to the forward position each time I shoot it. Once I remembered to press forward on the scope, it all worked well.

Funny. You fire the rifle and there is a lag before you hear the bullet hit the backstop. I reckon somewhere around 1350 fps. About like a 22, velocity wise.

The old timers built these schuetzen rifles well. They just feel right in the hands. The Fecker scope is awesome. A soda straw to look at it but the optics were clear even in the dimly lit indoor range.