PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 617

redneckdan
04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Anyone have experience with the taurus 617?

Swagerman
04-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Nope, haven't a clue on what caliber a 617 is???

But I know what a 441 is...got one with a 3" barrel. :mrgreen:

Jim

redneckdan
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
its a .357mag 7 shot 2" barrel

mooman76
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I had a 605, 5 shot 357. It was a ********* and have turned me off of Taurus's. Or at least new ones.

pumpguy
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
The guy I have bought a bunch of guns from recently has one for sale. He let me test fire a box through it. It's still for sale.

chickenstripe
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
pumpguy
mooman76

Can either of you give a bit of insite into the turn-off of these firearms? I'm interested in the 605, and possibly a 5-shot taurus in general, but now I may not be....

mtnman31
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
I've got a Taurus stainless .357 mag Tracker (model 627) It is basically the same as the shorter barreled 617. My Tracker is a great gun. It is a tack driver and I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. I can't imagine paying hundreds more for a similar S&W when my Tracker is every bit as good a gun. It has an adjustable rear sight, ported barrel and carries 7 shots. The grips are very comfortable for my hand and trigger pull is very smooth. I bought it used and doubt it had been shot much previously. After my H&K USP, it is the pistol I'd feel most comfortable having at my side. I know others have less than stellar reviews of Taurus products but, all the Taurus revolvers I have shot were good guns and I have never personally had a bad experience with their products.

ebner glocken
04-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Last October a friend of mine and me bought 2 model 605s. One shot wonderfully, the other locked up on the first cylinder full. Not enough meat on the threads of the extractor rod. A little over 3 months in the factory shop they fixed it. Both shoot great now and seem to eat up any reasonable load I have dumped into them.
Would buy again for the money, just be aware you may be sending it back.

Ebner

dubber123
04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
pumpguy
mooman76

Can either of you give a bit of insite into the turn-off of these firearms? I'm interested in the 605, and possibly a 5-shot taurus in general, but now I may not be....

Probably a quick search for "Taurus" on here will turn up some of the past posts on this brand. I try to stay out of them as I have not much good to say. I won't own another.

I run a small plates pistol shoot, maybe 15 guys will show up on an average day. Of the last 3 Taurus revolvers to show up, NONE could fire a full cylinder. 1 couldn't fire more than 2 shots without locking up, with several different brands of ammo.

1 of these guns just returned from a lengthy factory repair shop visit. It is now 100%, as long as you shoot it single action. It FAILS 100% of the time in double action, (locks up tight). If you get a good one, hang on to it.

broomhandle
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi Rednack Dan,

I had one it was accurate and it was managable with hot 357 loads!

The only problem I had was after about 500 -600 rounds the front of the cylinder started pitting. Taurus replaced it with a new one.

I did sell it after reading how much power I was losei with a short 357 barrel over a hot 38 + p. I now have a S&W 638 & a 640 for summer carry.
The frames are smaller & seem to work well for me.

Best,
broomhandle

mooman76
04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
My Taurus 605 problems were and this was a new out of the box gun.

It wouldn't always lock in place (timing)when fired double action. I figure it probubly would have wore in eventually but I fixed it myself. Just a little sanding the sharp enge of the timing pin and it would slip into place.
It wasn't as accurate as as I would have liked. Yes it was a stubby. It shot minute of pie plate at ten yards. Good enough for what I wanted CCW but I would have liked better.
The thing I couldn't have was it locked up when firing. I managed to play with it a few times and fix it but it would always go back to this. I lost confidence in it and that I couldn't have for CCW. I sonld it to a friend who is a amature gun smith. He fixed it and it went broke again. I think it has the problem ebner glocken is talking about. I kno by my friend the extractor rod was bent a little and causing it to stick and thus lock up.

On a side note I used to thing revolvers were basic and simple so you didn't have to work about them until this happened. I took my Taurus apart and couldn't believe all the parts it had in it for a basic revolver. I don't know if other manufacturers are that way or not but I'm not taking them apart to find out.
I have an older Taurus and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. I'm just turned off of new ones that haven't been proven yet!