PDA

View Full Version : Chaos' and Carpetman's extensive exhaustive Ingot Mold Testing

chaos
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
So I showed up here on this forum about a week ago with many questions. Carpetman contacted me, since we are next door neighbors, and agreed to enlighten me on the art of casting projectiles. My main questions were about fluxing and the use of ordinary household objects as Ingot molds, Frugality being my main concern. I've read that this and that could be used, but wanted to know the truth of the matter for myself. We spent the day conducting exhaustive tests. Carpetman is a bona fide metallurgist which is a little known fact..... he did show me his credentials over a cup or two of coffee.
We had a river of lead flowing like the mighty Rio Grande into a myriad of inanimate objects found normally around the house.

He holds all the answers and should be by shortly with a proper report of our findings.

As far as fluxing goes, I believe that We may soon partner up as he has found a new fluxing material that might just turn the casting world on its head. I won't go into any specific details about this compound which he has developed. As he is the brains behind the development and I am only the marketing strategist. I will say that it does require a collecting a bit of fresh fecal material from a liscensed Sparrow farm.

montana_charlie
04-20-2008, 01:01 PM
They have LICENSED sparrow farms?
Is that where birds are fed a controlled diet, so their 'output' can get an EPA rating?

I need all the poop and skinny, because the wild sparrows in Montana are skinny...and their poop is weak.
CM

Scrounger
04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
If CarpetMan is involved in this enterprise, the only question is who's going to raid them first, the EPA or the SPCA?

Blammer
04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Too funny!

carpetman
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Chaos was shown how to tell the difference in a sparrow nest and a martin nest in a purple martin house. A house was lowered and indeed there was a sparrow nest,which was removed. The door to that compartment was removed and replaced with a trap door. The trap door has a smaller opening so that a martin wont enter(but sparrows will). The demonstration was a success as in short time we had the male sparrow. The sparrow was very gently extracted. Then the demonstration went sour. Just at the moment he was being gently released a big puff of wind caught the sparrow and a rock that was laying on the ground somehow bashed his head on top of a fence post. Chaos gave it cpr--extensive mouth to mouth to no avail. When you trap sparrows,if you catch the female first,most always you'll have the male in a very few minutes. If you catch the male first you may never catch the female. Later after the male was caught,the trap had been sprung but no bird was caught. Reset it and this morning same same---sprung but no bird. It is reset again. Yes indeed much sparrow research is needed to know how to get things correct. Sadly some sparrows do get sacraficed,but someone has to do it. We did create some candidates for research with a gentle burst of air behind a pellet, our efforts to stun only were futile.

leftiye
04-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Should a known. Thanks for the humor!

montana_charlie
04-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Sadly some sparrows do get sacraficed,but someone has to do it.
Your (almost Shakespearian) soliloquy leads me to understand that, "One can't make a Hamlet, without cracking some sparrows."
CM

crazy mark
04-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Did he show you how he gets his sheep wax though. He says it's top notch fluxing material also...

MT Gianni
04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
The good news is that from the size of his martin house you will never need to put one up or have to clean one. Just keep enjoying the mosquito free zone. Gianni

S.R.Custom
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
... As he is the brains behind the development and I am only the marketing strategist. I will say that it does require a collecting a bit of fresh fecal material from a liscensed Sparrow farm.

Too funny. You two must drink from the same well.

carpetman
04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Chaos--I have good news and bad news. I checked the sparrow trap and had caught the mate to that male sparrow we caught yesterday---the one you gave cpr to. That's the good news. The bad news is his mate was also a male. You having given cpr to one of those types you should go get HIV testing done. Don't worry they send the results in a tightly sealed envelope that is marked "Your confidential AIDS test results enclosed".

OBXPilgrim
04-20-2008, 06:31 PM
collecting a bit of fresh fecal material

When I saw Carpetman's name associated with your post, this was the same thing I thought at first, but was rather surprised to see that sparrows were involved.

So, did you guys smelt to the fire from buffalo chips?

chaos
04-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Chaos--I have good news and bad news. I checked the sparrow trap and had caught the mate to that male sparrow we caught yesterday---the one you gave cpr to. That's the good news. The bad news is his mate was also a male. You having given cpr to one of those types you should go get HIV testing done. Don't worry they send the results in a tightly sealed envelope that is marked "Your confidential AIDS test results enclosed".

No problems man, I think my crabs will eat those HIV'S.

chaos
04-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Too funny. You two must drink from the same well.

I'm thinking that he just may be by biological father. It does explain my love for KFC and my propensity to dance.

Lee
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
TMI.................................Lee:wink:

NVcurmudgeon
04-20-2008, 08:35 PM
So I showed up here on this forum about a week ago with many questions. Carpetman contacted me, since we are next door neighbors, and agreed to enlighten me on the art of casting projectiles. My main questions were about fluxing and the use of ordinary household objects as Ingot molds, Frugality being my main concern. I've read that this and that could be used, but wanted to know the truth of the matter for myself. We spent the day conducting exhaustive tests. Carpetman is a bona fide metallurgist which is a little known fact..... he did show me his credentials over a cup or two of coffee.
We had a river of lead flowing like the mighty Rio Grande into a myriad of inanimate objects found normally around the house.

He holds all the answers and should be by shortly with a proper report of our findings.

As far as fluxing goes, I believe that We may soon partner up as he has found a new fluxing material that might just turn the casting world on its head. I won't go into any specific details about this compound which he has developed. As he is the brains behind the development and I am only the marketing strategist. I will say that it does require a collecting a bit of fresh fecal material from a liscensed Sparrow farm.

Chaos, Impostor warning! If "Carpetman" deigned to discuss using ordinary household items for ingot moulds, he may be a plant from PETS (people for the ethical treatment of sheep.) The real Carpetman is a purist and is widely known for using only rare collector's item LYMAZ ingot moulds. (The Z represents the backwards N on the old-style ingot moulds, the Holy Grail of ingot collecting.)

floodgate
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
NVcurmudgeon:

You 'cats keep coming up with those Lyman ingot moulds with the "backwards N". I've looked and looked at mine, and the "N" is fine, as are most of the other letters; it is the "L" that is backwards on mine!!! (Of course, the whole word reads right to left, too; Arabic, maybe?)

Flubgate

S.R.Custom
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking that he just may be by biological father. It does explain my love for KFC and my propensity to dance.

I'd be asking Mom about that.

madcaster
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
You may have to pull an Annie Oakley and use a mirror to see 'em![smilie=1:

Buckshot
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
...................So did Carpetman show you why Tupperware and plastic ice cube trays were NOT to be trusted for ingot moulds?

.................Buckshot

carpetman
04-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Why tupperware and plastic ice cube not trusted for ingot molds???? I use them to provide a plastic coating on my ingots so they don't rust. You can even leave em outside.

NVcurmudgeon
04-21-2008, 01:08 AM
NVcurmudgeon:

You 'cats keep coming up with those Lyman ingot moulds with the "backwards N". I've looked and looked at mine, and the "N" is fine, as are most of the other letters; it is the "L" that is backwards on mine!!! (Of course, the whole word reads right to left, too; Arabic, maybe?)

Flubgate

NOV SHMOZ KA POP, indeed! I remember that from the Sunday papers c. 1942, which is when I began seriously reading. Was it from a strip called "The Squirrel Cage?"

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Why tupperware and plastic ice cube not trusted for ingot molds???? I use them to provide a plastic coating on my ingots so they don't rust. You can even leave em outside.

Your "lead" rusts? Just how hot are you getting that furnace?

carpetman
04-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Reread the post---It doesn't rust---I have a protective plastic coating on it.

carpetman
04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey Chaos---I thought I had some great news for you. The trap was sprung again. I thought if it was a female sparrow,that extra male I caught may not be a mate---maybe the milkman or something. Maybe not a "funny" pair afterall and you may not have aids from giving that one cpr. But the trap was sprung only---no bird inside so we still don't know if a gay couple or not. Sure hope you don't have aids,nobody would believe you caught it from a sparrow. Like catching VD from a commode seat,strange place to do it.

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Why the coating, do you think it'll rust?

carpetman
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Scrounger---read the thread--Buckshot said Tupperware and plastic ice cube trays could not be used.

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I read it, you Sheep Dipper. Isn't this your post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetman http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images_acps/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=326782#post326782)
I say again, do you expect your ingots to rust IF you don't plastic-coat them?

runfiverun
04-21-2008, 05:14 PM
hey carpetman,
sparrows frequently have a two male one female pair, one older male that does the pairing
and one younger one that is fooled into thinking he has ,so he will help feed the offspring.

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
hey carpetman,
sparrows frequently have a two male one female pair, one older male that does the pairing
and one younger one that is fooled into thinking he has ,so he will help feed the offspring.

A sparrow Ménage à trois?

2muchstuf
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I think some of you guys just have too much time on your hands.:drinks:

carpetman
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Well I caught a third male sparrow. I think the female left town. Bet she was a promiscuous ol thang. Chaos might not have aids---might be something worse.

leftiye
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Chaos "Collecting a bit of fresh fecal material" (Bit?)

(To chaos)
"When I saw Carpetman's name associated with your post, this was the same thing I thought at first, but was rather surprised to see that sparrows were involved." [Probly not enough production capacity? (my addition)?]

So, did you guys smelt to the fire from buffalo chips?

Yeah! Carpetman has always been known to be an expert fertilizer collector, and spreader.

sniper
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
[smilie=f:
They have LICENSED sparrow farms?
...because the wild sparrows in Montana are skinny...CM

AND they are small! As we used to say in the Air Supply, we's a'waitin' on the poop from group! That would be a great source, there was so much of it! :-D

Ahhh...would this marvelous mixture be for smelting or casting? If your neighbors complain about the smelting smell now... But, I guess it would be O.K., because it is ORGANIC! In an enclosed space, though? Hmmmm...

The guy that thought this up is not the very same one who thought up gun cleaner distilled from equine excreta, is he? I hear the flies didn't affect accuracy much, but you should keep your lunch in the car! :mrgreen:

Holy Cow! Tupperware and Ice cubes...did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

chaos
04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Well I caught a third male sparrow. I think the female left town. Bet she was a promiscuous ol thang. Chaos might not have aids---might be something worse.

nah, I had my monthly shot for that Herpagonnasyphlaids thing. Me no scared. :(

chaos
04-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Your "lead" rusts? Just how hot are you getting that furnace?

hot enough to melt the plastic coating....hammerhead....:twisted:

Then you have to Flux the darn plastic out. It just goes along with it if you dont want rusty lead.
I personally dont like to shoot rustly lead as it tends to leave a bit of build up in my barrel. If you use the plastic molds, then as an added benifit. Tetnus shots are not required for the deer that you take.

madcaster
04-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I HOPE that nobody other than that little female sparrow is impregnated!:holysheep

Goatlips
04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
NVcurmudgeon,

NOV SHMOZ KA POP was from the Smokey Stover Sunday comic strip, as was NOTARY SOJAC. I go back that far, but not all the way to the Yellow Kid. Hate to get off topic, but you asked. :mrgreen:

Goatlips

Buckshot
04-22-2008, 01:00 AM
...............Trying to use Tupperware for ingot moulds reminds me of boiling water in a paper cup on the stove. It was years upon years ago when I was shown that, and I forget who did and where it was. I remember showing it to my dad. My little brother who was about 12 I guess, was excited to show grandma a couple weeks later. However he used a styrofoam cup on her electric range.

..............Buckshot

compass will
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
we used to boil water in paper cups all the time in boy scouts. It was part of "fire building" competition. start the fire, build it around the cup, first one that boiled water won.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Scrounger---Plastic coated ingots don't rust. The non plastic coated ones---well they don't rust either. I don't think the plastic coated ones would rust---I really don't have any. After catching 3 male sparrows in the trap, activity has ceased, maybe she was just getting a brothel started and didnt have that many John sparrows yet. Would that be a situation where john (lower case) would be correct? Japan is properly lower case japan--when the japan is the drying agent used in paints and varnishes.

HORNET
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
You've really got to be careful with those small birds. You could catch Chirpies (it's a Canarial disease).

NVcurmudgeon
04-23-2008, 12:56 AM
NVcurmudgeon,

NOV SHMOZ KA POP was from the Smokey Stover Sunday comic strip, as was NOTARY SOJAC. I go back that far, but not all the way to the Yellow Kid. Hate to get off topic, but you asked. :mrgreen:

Goatlips

Goatlips, we will have to share credit on comic trivia. Notary Sojak is from Smokey Stover, but NOV SHMOZ KA POP is one of the utterances of the Little Hitchhiker from the Squirrel Cage comic, as also used in Floodgate's avatar. Squirrel cage was just a topper for another strip drawn by the same artist, Gene Ahern. Check out www.toonopedia.com/squirrlc.htm

Goatlips
04-24-2008, 01:05 AM
NVcurmudgeon,

Thanks for the link, so as not to clutter up this site I'll PM you.

Goatlips