PDA

View Full Version : Question--Did Ruger ever make a 6-1/2" new model Super Blackhawk in .44mag?

Shuz
01-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Title kinda says it all. Reason I'm wondering is that I've ended up with one and wonder if someone cut down the bbl and remounted the front sight. It sure does look "stock". I see it has a Belt Mountain base pin installed, so the original or second owner, may have been a "tinkerer".

straightwall
01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
No box, eh? Maybe a call to Ruger can give you your gun's features when it shipped.

rintinglen
01-05-2016, 04:29 PM
They made a 50th anniversary model a few years back that was exactly that. I think Larry Gibson has one. I had a chance to buy one but let it go by. I'd druther have a Bisley.157336

McLintock
01-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Ruger didn't make a 6 1/2" barreled New Model Super, the one shown above isn't a Super but the reproduction of the original Blackhawk, two different animals. None shown in either the Blue Book of Gun Values or The Reference of Ruger Firearms, Pocket Edition #2. They did make an Old Model Super with a 6 1/2" barrel, but it was a mistake only and wasn't a catalogued item. Guy was cutting barrels, he thought, for 41 Mags with 6 1/2" barrels, but had 44 cal barrel stock. So Ruger just installed them and put out a limited run of them; about 600 or so.
McLintock

Shuz
01-06-2016, 11:58 AM
McLintock--Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a "modified" New Model Super. Perhaps it was modified by Ruger? Would they do such a request? Thanks!

McLintock
01-06-2016, 02:30 PM
These days Ruger won't change a gun from it's original configuration, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it before this policy started and I don't know when that might be. Just had a friend send back a GP100 with damaged 6" barrel and he asked if they'd redo it with a 4", but it was no way, Jose. It was an older one with a half lug barrel and they didn't have any more of those type, so they put a full lug barrel on it, but that's about as far as they'd go these days.
McLintock

pietro
01-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Ruger also made New Model (2-pin ILO 3-screw) Super Blackhawks with 4-5/8" barrels, in both carbon & stainless steel - once upon a time, I bought one of each, so I could have .44 Special pistols (this was well before the current crop of Skeeter Skelton inspired .44 Special only standard Blackhawks).

NM Super Blackhawks were made with 4-5/8" (1994-on), 5-1/2" (1987-on), 7-1/2" & 10-1/2" barrels.

Snyd
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
The 50th Ann Flat Top may not be a Super but it does have a steel grip frame and ERH. Just doesn't have the super hammer.

376Steyr
01-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Ruger has done a bunch of special runs for Lipsey's, with tweaks to barrel length, trigger guards, etc. It might be one of those.

McLintock
01-07-2016, 01:37 PM
If Lipsey's had done one it would be listed in the Ruger Reference I mentioned above as it lists all the Lipsey's models. The Reference is compiled and put out by the Red Eagle News Exchange which is a Ruger Collectors outfit. They also put out a value guide each year and many of the Lipsey's models are listed as they are collected by New Model collectors. The 50th Ann Flattop doesn't have an unfluted cylinder, the square back trigger guard grip frame or the 7 1/2" barrel of the original Super, and Ruger did make a 50th Ann Super with these features, so they're two different guns, with more then just he hammer difference.

McLintock