PDA

View Full Version : places to buy online

hpdrifter
01-04-2016, 08:04 PM
has anyone had any dealings with online gun sales, i.e. gunsamerica, gunsinternational, etc, etc.

Are they someplace to avoid?

I found me a Winchester I would like to purchase, but not too sure of the transaction process.

The seller has no feedback and only been online aout 5 months with 6 transactions. Seems if they were bad, someone would have spoken up.

What say ye?

swamp
01-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Myself, I don't like buying anything I can't check out in person. Or have someone I trust check it out.
swamp

jmort
01-04-2016, 08:41 PM
I have used both Gun Broker and Davidson's a lot. Never a bad experience. Davidson's provides a "Lifetime" warranty with their guns.

bangerjim
01-04-2016, 08:48 PM
I only buy locally for just about everything. I like to touch & feel it B4 paying for it. Any dealings with Gallery of Guns on-line has been thru (by law) my local gun stores. I can still touch & feel it that way, but they are good people to deal with up there in Prescott.

banger

jonp
01-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Gunsamerica and several through gun auction. Never a problem and I recommend gun auction

tim338
01-04-2016, 08:55 PM
A lot of the good sellers have inspection periods were you can return the gun if it isn't "as described". You typically have to pay shipping both ways if you return it.

hpdrifter
01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I like buy "hands on" myself, but I don't find a rifle of this configuration lying around just anywhere. It's exactly what I've been looking for, albeit a little higher than wanted, but........you snooze you lose.

The only draw back I have it's a mid sixties winnie 94 and I know they are not the best specimens:roll::roll::roll:, but it is claimed working properly with 3 day inspection.

Told him I'd take it. Is money order any more "backtrackable/insurance" for absence of better word than check?

pietro
01-04-2016, 09:13 PM

I go by the private seller's feedback, not so much with a seller that's an FFL/gunshop - don't forget, a buyer isn't dealing with the website (GunBroker, GunAuction, GunsAmerica, etc), the buyer deals with the individual or gunshop/FFL selling the firearm.

The only time I wasn't thrilled by a seller was when some (the private seller) dummy poorly packed a muzzleloading rifle I bought, the un-reinforced cardboard box end had gotten wet somehow, and the end of the buttstock received a little damage when it broke through the wet box end.

It was insured by the sender - who was the one that got paid (both my money & whatever the insurance paid). I got buttkiss, and a small refinishing job, for my $$$.

There's no recourse for a buyer, especially from the website - which backs THEIR customers (the seller, who pays the sales commission to the hosting website).

Bazoo
01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
I have used gunbroker. I wasnt super happy once, i dont recall what happened, not much. I was happy with another transaction if I recall correctly.

Summitgunbroker.com i've bought several guns from. The guy is good to deal with. He buys police trade ins and confiscations and estates. got a good deal on a remington targetmaster 41 and a g22 and "used" but new looking mags for the g22 for 10 bucks each at one time.

hpdrifter
01-04-2016, 09:52 PM
here's what I'm looking at:

157272 157273 157274

26" octagon barrel 30-30

shoot-n-lead
01-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Bought a PILE of guns off gunbroker...never had a single problem.

It is my "go to" place to buy guns...none of my local shops ever have anything that I am looking for.

MrWolf
01-04-2016, 10:08 PM
I got burned on gunbroker. Ever since then I will only purchase if I can have hands on. Be careful. Looks can also be deceiving as mine wont cycle the round.

BigAl52
01-04-2016, 10:25 PM

It is my "go to" place to buy guns...none of my local shops ever have anything that I am looking for.

I have done this also. But I do look at the feedback and I always try to use a credit card so I have that extra insurance if something does go wrong. Some places charge extra for credit card but it cost to go to the post office for a money order. I also send MO's certified or priority so I have a tracking number. I have done this on Gunbroker and Guns America. Never have had a problem. Al

hp246
01-05-2016, 12:53 AM
I've dealt through Gunbroker and GunsAmerica. Have not had any trouble with purchases. Did have a problem with a buyer who wanted me to violate Federal law. I refused. Then he tried only sending me partial payment. Refused again. It was a PITA getting it resolved,but after a month, Gunbroker got it right.

Greg S
01-05-2016, 04:07 AM
Sold 3 on GB and I guess Mr Wolf bought one of mine, lol JK. I've probably bought 10-12 off GB and 2 of GofA. All good transactions, one not as described which was partially my fault, made offer after close of auction, last minute research, no questions to seller, ect.

Buying on GB tips. Ask ?s up front, i.e., bore condition. With that style of rifle think CASS and BP. Rode hard n put away dirty and now pitted ect. Action job, home gunsmittin ect. If questionable, pics. Look out for shipping price and* handling fees. Figure out your too much price now and if it falls in the buy it now, gtg or wait till the last 20 minutes, punch in your bid and walk away. Watch reserve actions, some folks think it's worth more than the market will support. If this is a collectable i.e. frontiersan, olie winchester ect, there always available. If it is unique and rare like Winuko 1892 TD Trapper Octogon 1-500 with alot of interest with a low buy it now, get on it.

Never been burned on a gun, maybe not as expected once, but never left holdin de bag.

Hannibal
01-05-2016, 04:15 AM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly.

dragon813gt
01-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I've bought a lot off of Gunbroker. Haven't had any issues. But I do look at feedback and always pay w/ a credit card. I've let many pass by because something seemed off to me. If it's a "to good to be true" deal then it should raise some alarms.

brtelec
01-05-2016, 11:16 AM
I have purchased many firearms off of Gunbroker and Gunsamerica and had only one problem and it was a minor one. You definitely need to know what your looking at and ask questions if you are not seeing what you need to know. Feedback is everything, I will not buy from brand new sellers.

MrWolf
01-05-2016, 10:16 PM
I was stupid and bought with a check. I know better but guy had a good rating except every once in awhile an issue. Looking back it was his way of getting away with it every now and then. Filed a fraud case with Gunbroker who offered to take the rifle, sell it, and give me the funds less fees. Great policy to protect the buyer.

aHFo3
01-08-2016, 01:59 PM
I buy and sell on Gunbroker. I've had zero problems with purchases. I inadvertently sold a gun that was missing the mag tube follower. I sent the guy a check for the cost of the part.

I've found a good way to determine if the buyer or seller is someone I want to do business with is to speak to them over the phone.

Bonz
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM
I have bought most of my guns online because the prices are less than the local gun stores in my area.

clum553946
01-08-2016, 03:44 PM
I agree with shoot n lead. I have bought quite a few antique Winchesters off of gunbroker too. I've always received the rifles as specified. I look closely at the seller's feedback & have passed on a few rifles when the transaction just didn't feel right. (IE, it just looked too good to be true!) That's a beautiful rifle you're looking at, just make sure that you feel good about it & listen to that little voice in the back of your head before you buy!

Shawlerbrook
01-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Agree with most of the above ! Bought quite a few off GB and one from Gunsamerica. I will only deal with ffl holders that have a fairly long positive feedback history. I only pay with a cc or USPS money order. Most of the high volume sellers do not want to sully their reputation and are square dealers, but there's always the exception. If anything at all seems suspicious I back away. With the small lgs going the way of the dinosaur around here, online and gun shows are the only game in town.

hpdrifter
01-10-2016, 02:53 PM
I agree with shoot n lead. I have bought quite a few antique Winchesters off of gunbroker too. I've always received the rifles as specified. I look closely at the seller's feedback & have passed on a few rifles when the transaction just didn't feel right. (IE, it just looked too good to be true!) That's a beautiful rifle you're looking at, just make sure that you feel good about it & listen to that little voice in the back of your head before you buy!

Well, I bit the bullet and bought it. At Gunsamerica you can request a verified address on completion of the buy. I swallowed my apprehension and sent the guy a check. The next day I tried to get a verified address. The email got bounced and did not get answered.

I sent the guy a email stating that I put a "stop payment" on the check and apologized for the inconvenience. Got a reply that GA takes a credit card of sellers and reimburses deals gone bad via the credit card, but his numbers did not correspond to GA's. stated 3 years of dealing and GA only stated about 6 months.

I said so long. Sure wished I could purchase that rifle some other way. Gun show coming last of January. I'll try that.

clum553946
01-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Glad you were able to stop payment on your check in time! There shouldn't be anyplace in the world for scam artists. The right rifle will show up sooner or later!

Half Dog
01-11-2016, 06:34 PM
My last purchase was made at a small shop off of I-30 just east of Dallas. After it was all said and done, I feel I got a better deal there.

hpdrifter
01-12-2016, 07:38 PM
small shop??? B&S?

EDK
01-14-2016, 02:32 PM
I buy a lot off gunbroker, BUT have gotten some smokin' deals on gunauction also. Check the feedback on seller. Send payment via POSTAL MONEY ORDER and REGISTERED MAIL/CERTIFIED DELIVERY for the tracking number.
My worst transaction was the guy who forgot to update his mailing address. Time ran out for post office to forward to new address. The money order and letter bounced around Carolina for three weeks before it was returned to me...an amount of time when the tracking was not showing where it was...bad post office! He was apologetic about things, but his apology didn't include any cash/merchandise compensation. He wasn't a scammer...just not a lot of attention to keeping his information up to date, but that is what happens dealing with amateurs.
You have to weight shipping and transfer fees in the price. BUT local sales are 7%+ sales tax; they haven't gotten around to sales tax on internet purchases yet! Pretty even money on a $600 purchase. I buy local if it $50 or less difference...especially if it's a local shop that will take care of me on other things.

Geezer in NH
01-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Feedback, Feedback, Feedback, Feedback, Then if 3000 or so and 5 bad they seller is most likely OK I repeat Feedback, Feedback, Feedback, Also remember GB will also delete bad feedback when unwarranted but I never here of them doing that to the good.

My user name there has over 1400 good no neg's [only 1 in 3 leaves any], several undeserved were removed so that is not a bad thing. I do not stand for blackmail by buyers you are give 3 days for inspection no shoot or take apart. Don't think the gun is as advertised send it back for a full refund, shipping both ways no FFL fee, another words look at it as it arrives at your LGS I will deal with your FFL myself As there are buyers who are thieves themselves.

Sorry for the rant.