PDA

View Full Version : I just bought another lever gun....

dikman
01-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Winchester (of course), 1892, manufactured in 1897, in 44-40 (of course), saddle-ring carbine. Now waiting on police approval........

I've taken up Single Action Shooting, and my other two 44-40 Winchesters aren't suitable - the 1892 rifle only has a short mag (5 shots) and the 1894 carbine suffers from the well known 44-40 malady of not cycling reliably. So, when another club member saw this come up he let me know, and after a bit of thinking over Christmas thought "what the heck, I like my lever guns and it is a Winchester.....".

My family just raised their eyebrows and/or shook their heads.:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
01-04-2016, 12:06 AM
Nice! Can't have too many lever guns.

Griff
01-04-2016, 01:34 AM
Congrats.

OverMax
01-04-2016, 01:59 AM
1897 92. "Good for you."
Always have room from another Winchester don't yaw?

tdoyka
01-04-2016, 04:23 AM
congrats!!!

mac266
01-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Wow, that's a spendy investment for shooting cowboy action. I'm a long time cowboy action shooter. Might I suggest that with a gun that old, you are liable to wear it out? We put a lot of rounds down range, and older guns get beat up. Although it would be great to shoot "the real thing" every now and then for nostalgia's sake, I recommend buying a modern reproduction to take the brunt of the use in the game.

Plus, the game is REALLY fun!!!

dikman
01-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Mac, this is the personal gun of a dealer and a competitor, who won many medals with it. The bore actually looks very good and is very clean. He hasn't used it for some time (bought something else) so decided to sell it. While your suggestion makes sense, unfortunately things are a bit different here in Oz. An Uberti 1873, for example, is the preferred choice for this game, but costs something like Au$1700+. No way can I justify that sort of expenditure for what is likely to be a few years of fun. This one will cost me $420 plus registration ($30) AND it's a 44-40, not that common in used Winchesters here.

As I won't be target shooting it should be more than adequate for hitting steel targets at what amounts to almost point-blank range.

rollmyown
01-05-2016, 12:41 AM
A model '92 for $420 with a good bore. Bargain!

Greg S
01-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Yup, those Winnie 1892s are hopelessly addicting when compared against a 94 for pistol length cartridges. Just picked up a Chiappa 86 copy in 45-70 and hoping for the best. The public opinion is not too good but my friends is fine. Wanted the hard chrome for AK hunting weather.

rondog
01-05-2016, 04:41 AM
Sweet! Gotta love rifles with handles to yank on.

mac266
01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Mac, this is the personal gun of a dealer and a competitor, who won many medals with it. The bore actually looks very good and is very clean. He hasn't used it for some time (bought something else) so decided to sell it. While your suggestion makes sense, unfortunately things are a bit different here in Oz. An Uberti 1873, for example, is the preferred choice for this game, but costs something like Au$1700+. No way can I justify that sort of expenditure for what is likely to be a few years of fun. This one will cost me $420 plus registration ($30) AND it's a 44-40, not that common in used Winchesters here.

As I won't be target shooting it should be more than adequate for hitting steel targets at what amounts to almost point-blank range.

Wow, I need to find a way to start importing real Winchesters from Australia!!!

northmn
01-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Interesting. Rossi for instance makes excellent CB guns but only in modern calibers like the 44 magnum or 45 colt. If one wants authenticity the 45 colt should not exist and the 44 mag is not really a duplicate when loaded down. When they made affordable rifles in 44-40 for the CB shooters they were only short runs. Kind of wonder if they sold? Ruger made the Vaquero in 44-40 but it seems to have vanished also. I would shoot the original also if in that position. The 73 clones are pretty high priced in the States also such that while I kind of admired them I never could see paying for one.

DP

dikman
01-06-2016, 02:25 AM
I really would like an 1873, I just refuse to pay that sort of money (plus I do like the '92's, they have a pretty simple action with a good solid lock-up). Mac, from what I've been able to glean quite a lot of Winchesters were imported into Australia a long time ago! The 5-shot button mag, however, seemed to be particularly popular for some reason. My other 1892 is a button mag, hexagon long barrel and is made in 1911, so also fairly old. One of my options was to convert it to a long mag, which I intended to do, but then this came up and I figured I'd leave it alone.

Ric-san
01-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Good buy...'Police approval...?'...sorry to hear of that deal.

dikman
01-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Yep, to purchase any firearm here you have to send in a "Permit to Acquire" to the police, and in the case of centre-fire rifles you also have to give a reason why you want it. It can be refused if they deem that it's not a valid reason, but that's pretty unusual and I haven't actually heard of anyone being refused - yet! But the power is there, if they decide to get nasty.

Be assured that if it wasn't for your Second Amendment you would be in the same boat! I think it's fair to say that the Second Amendment is pretty unique in the world and you should defend it at all costs!!!

missionary5155
01-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Greetings
Old Winchester 92's are great to own. Mr. John Browning really came up with a fine action with this one. I do not doubt the lock up can take anything that gets slipped in front of the bolt. Barrel and receiver ring will not though.
My last worry is to wear one out. Keep the bolt ways greased and clean and flip away with delight. Cast will only polish the barrel to perfection. Only thing better than a caliber 44 WCF is one for each member of the family. Then there comes the grandkids !
Mike in Peru