PDA

View Full Version : ID this shotgun please

KenH
01-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Hello all - I hope this is the correct place to post this question.... Below are 3 photos of a 12 gauge shotgun that came down from my Great Grandpa - he died well before 1950 because I don't ever remember about him. My Grandpa who pasted the shotgun on to me was born in 1897. Over Christmas holidays I found the shotgun in the attic - my sister told me my Dad had put in barn many years ago, then it got moved to the attic. When I found it, rust was so bad you could not work anything. I've soaked in rust remover and now the action opens, hammer works, etc. The wood is in rough shape, but I think I can work with it.

There is no marking of any type I can find other than the serial number mentioned below.

This is the side view showing the ring in front of trigger (both trigger and ring are inside the trigger guard). The ring is what releases the barrel latch to open. The extractor just lifts the shotgun shell, not ejector.

Here action is open. See the pin with lever at hinge - that lever lifts up to release pin to remove barrel.
There is a serial number on the base of barrel, and a matching (I think matching, not very legible) serial number inside the action where barrel closes.

Just another view.

Does anyone have any idea of manuf, history, etc for this shotgun?

Thank ya'll for any info

Ken H>

Uncle Jimbo
01-04-2016, 12:25 AM
This looks like an old Ivers Johnson shotgun. But there may have been more than one manufacture of this style of shotgun.

KenH
01-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the lead - I'll chase a bit of info on those shotguns.

Mk42gunner
01-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Fluid steel or Damascus barrel? What does the little lever on the left side do?

I have seen shotguns with the ring latch, but don't remember just where it was or who made it.

There were an awful lot of cheap single shots made around the turn of the century, some are safe to fire, some are not. One thing to check is the chamber length, the 2 5/8" shell used to be pretty common.

Good luck with it.

Robert

bubba.50
01-04-2016, 02:47 AM
the takedown latch looks like an old Iver Johnson Champion as does the action profile. don't recall ever seein' one with the ring to break it down though.

Buckshot Bill
01-04-2016, 02:47 AM
I don't think it's an iver, The iver johnsons I have seen had a bobbed type hammer and a different shaped receiver. This looks more like a C.S. Shattuck http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7658854

John Taylor
01-04-2016, 02:33 PM
There were lots of different makers of these old shotguns, problem is that every hardware store could get them made with their own name. Most of the gun companies were copying other so a lot looked the same. I have a old no name that has the take down lever on the right side, I think it is a Hercules.

KenH
01-04-2016, 06:49 PM
OK, been busy today with a sink drain leak and have not had time to comment. I took a couple more photos and did a lot of research. Here are two more views I should have included with first post. I stuck the wood and trigger guard back on for better reference.

This first view shows the barrel removed from action with the hinge pin lying on top. Note the small lever angled down from the bottom of barrel? That lever activates the extractor - no springs involved with the extractor. The barrel is NOT Damascus as best I can tell. There are NO lines indicating laminations - just steel.

This view shows shotgun with wood attached and complete.

From all I've read, it is most likely made around turn of century (1900) by either Iver Johnson, but most likely C.S. Shattuck. In my hazy memory it just "seems" like I can remember the butt plate (wish I could find the buttplate) looking much like this butt plate from this link given by Buckshot: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7658854

I can remember hunting with the old shotgun when I was a kid of 12 to 14 yr old. Just used standard low brass 2-3/4" shotshells.

Thank you to all for comments and suggestions - it has helped me learn about the history of this old shotgun.

This thread has a good bit of info on Iver Johnson stuff:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/iver-johnson-champion-12-ga.49043/

Ken H>

KenH
01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Hey, I just found the actual butt plate from the shotgun - I knew I remembered seeing it, but had forgotten where I'd put it. For sure it's a C.S. Shattuck - Looks just like the one shown before from the on-line link. Thank you to all for the help and guidance.

Uncle Jimbo
01-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Good for you. It's always fun to find out something about an old gun you have.