PDA

View Full Version : call me crazy ,i dumped a glock for a smith

sandman228
01-03-2016, 07:56 PM
well I bought a glock 43 a while back and it just seemed I couldn't get anything to shoot worth a damn from it .I shot a few brands of factory ammo through it I loaded up some 115 gr plated bullets for it ,I tried powder coated lead reloads with a couple different types of bullets sized at .356 .357 and.358 ,and even tried some plain old lead reloads ,and it just seems I couldn't get anything to shoot consistent through it at 10 yards offhand . I don't know if it was the gun or me or a little of both but I do know most of the same ammo shot accurately out of my m&p full size and my springfield xd9 subcompact .I'm not a big fan of glock factory sights which I'm sure played a part in it I just got fed up with it said enough is enough I want it gone . I took it back to the gun shop I bought it from yesterday I walked in with it in the factory case ,a guy behind the counter asked if he could help me as he opened the box I said yes I wanna dump this piece of junk its the most inaccurate 9mm ive ever owned in my life him and his co worker just looked at each other with there mouths dropped open . they just couldn't get over what I was telling them so I explained what my issues were and said I just didn't want it anymore I'm tired of playing around its not an I hate glock thing I own 3 other glocks a 21 , a 22 that I'm pretty happy with but I'm just not happy with the 43 and I'm not having the best of luck with my 19 either . the only 2 glocks I own that still have the factory sights, so anyhow I traded my glock 43 in on a smith& wesson m&p 9 shield i got a chance to get it back to the range yesterday shortly before dark and all i can say is wow i wish i would have bought the shield in the 1st place instead of the g43 i put about 50 rounds of 120 gr truncated cone reloads through it lubed with straight alox loaded over 3.8 gr red dot , 50 powder coated same bullet and load . it was all good i also put about a half box of federal 115 gr factory ammo through it i did hit a bit low with those but at least they grouped nice instead of scattered all over like they always were out of the glock i traded .it may even have been because it was getting dark out i dunno, ive only had 1 outing with it but so far I'm very happy with my trade . i may even dump my g 19 in the future if i cant get any better with it I'm gonna try changing out the rear sight for something adjustable with dots instead of that stupid box

nagantguy
01-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I have small hands for a big guy, I'm just under 6 foot and weight in at 225, guess I look like an old Marine, anyhow I had to learn to shoot/hold Glock differently than any other hand gun, larger grip, odd Tigger at least to me and I don't like the sights either. Always grouped low and never shot them as well as other handguns until recently. They just don't do it for me, looks or ergonomically. Not just an I don't like Glock thing, I also found them to be very picky on what they shot well, they run and run but in my experience like one or two loadings and not whatever fodder I have on hand... I feel your pain! I've also found the shield to shot and function way above its price point, wife has one brother has one cousin has two and I am always surprised how well they shoot and how good they feel at such a reasonable price.

sandman228
01-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Yes i know what you mean im shooting low with my g19 and loads that shoot great from my m&p 9 and my xd subcompact dont shoot good from the glock .

Radarsonwheels
01-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Nice. I am a blued steel and walnut kinda guy. I like stainless and rubber as a close second place but the plastic stuff doesn't feel right to me. I'm a decent shot but I never held a glock that shot better for me than my 1911s or wheelguns.

My buddy has a 40 cal glock long slide that is a sweet shooter for a glock and almost had me convinced they might be more than reliable lightweight carry guns, then I shot his XD- wow that's a nice shooting ugly piece of junk! I guess there are some great shooting tupperware guns out there- glad you found one you like and it's made in the USA!

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2016, 08:59 AM
ive got a glock 43 and a shield in 40 and they both shoot about identical sized groups with cast of jacketed. No problem keep shots in the boiler-room at 15 yards and that's all I expect out of a small ccw gun. I'm not going deer hunting with one or shooting bad guys at a 100 yards.

Electric88
01-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I have numerous friends that have 9mm shields that all love them. I almost bought a used one for a killer deal once, but in the end didn't move on it so that my buddy could (I already have a 9mm that I carry, he did not). They look like awesome little guns, and maybe I will pick one up one day. Until then, my sr9c does me well.

jmort
01-04-2016, 10:04 AM
When I was at a LGS, we put the S&W, the 43 and the LC9s Pro side by side. The LGS store employee said he picked the S&W for the grip, hated Glock ergos, and was more than happy. He had larger hands and comparing them, that made sense. As to performance I can only say the Ruger LC9s Pro is accurate beyond my expectations. Stick a Glock in a Ransom Rest, and it will normally be the least accurate compared to similar options, but not enough to matter for your average Joe, or most anyone for that matter.

Love Life
01-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm offended, lol.

On a serious note, glad you got a gun that you are accurate with and have confidence in.

junkpile
01-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm still in the process of trying to fall in love with my G19. Not going real well for me. If Smith made one the exact size of the G19, I would go for it. Still may try picking up an M&P.

I don't blame you at all. We all like different stuff. I find the Glock much, much harder to shoot than my 1911, but I'm still determined. It's got quite an odd trigger.

rondog
01-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Never owned a Glock, never shot a Glock, never even held a Glock. Have no plans to change any of that. They don't appeal to me, actually no pistols of that plastic, blocky genre appeal to me.

Different strokes, as they say.....

NavyVet1959
01-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Never owned a Glock, never shot a Glock, never even held a Glock. Have no plans to change any of that. They don't appeal to me, actually no pistols of that plastic, blocky genre appeal to me.

Different strokes, as they say.....

I own a couple of token Glocks (10mm and .45 SUPER +P+), but I much prefer a steel handgun. For a compact concealable 9mm, I prefer the CZ-75 Compact. My daily carry is usually a 10mm or .45 ACP though -- preferably a M1911.

rondog
01-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I own a couple of token Glocks (10mm and .45 SUPER +P+), but I much prefer a steel handgun. For a compact concealable 9mm, I prefer the CZ-75 Compact. My daily carry is usually a 10mm or .45 ACP though -- preferably a M1911.
And there ya go! :D:D

FergusonTO35
01-04-2016, 02:16 PM
My Glock 42 is easily one of the most accurate pistols I own, I can outshoot my 19 with it. 'Course, the next one off the line could have just been average or even poor. You gotta go with what works for you!

Char-Gar
01-04-2016, 02:19 PM
There is nothing more frustrating that having a handgun that does not work for you.

I am not a Glock fan, though I have two (17 and 19). I consider them to be social weapons and not fun toys. The trigger and general feel are not to my liking for fun shooting. I have XS Big Dot sights on both of them and they do well with a variety of factory for their intended purpose. I can shoot them plenty good enough for social purposes at any reasonable range. They are 100% reliable for me. I do keep them clean and properly lubricated. They hang around my house with 30 round mags stuck in them.

For enjoyable shooting, I much prefer the 1911 platform and the Browning Hi-Power in autoloaders. The Smith and Wesson and old Colt DA sixguns also work well for me in revolvers. Any of these can do the job on the range, the field and also home defense.

At any rate, I am glad you are using what you like and can do well with. That is what is important.

BigAl52
01-04-2016, 10:12 PM
I know a lot of guys who swear by the Glocks. I have owned 1 a 10mm. I have also owned several of the P series Sigs along with the XD series of Springfields. None of those worked for me. Not bashing any of those models just don't shoot them well and I have tried more that one time with the Sigs because I really do like them. Im a 1911 guy and a CZ75b guy. But I do carry a shield in 9mm everyday and I can shoot it to my satisfaction. They work for me. Al

LAH
01-04-2016, 10:42 PM
I have nothing against the Glock but it doesn't work for me either.

NavyVet1959
01-04-2016, 11:49 PM
Everyone should have at least once piece of Tupperware so that they can appreciate their M1911 all the more.

Artful
01-05-2016, 04:51 AM
Good upgrade - if a handgun doesn't work for you, get rid of it.

Lloyd Smale
01-05-2016, 08:36 AM
check out a M&P compact. Ive got a 45acp compact and its about identical in dimensions to my glock 23. they make it in 9mm and 40.
I'm still in the process of trying to fall in love with my G19. Not going real well for me. If Smith made one the exact size of the G19, I would go for it. Still may try picking up an M&P.

I don't blame you at all. We all like different stuff. I find the Glock much, much harder to shoot than my 1911, but I'm still determined. It's got quite an odd trigger.

Lloyd Smale
01-05-2016, 08:50 AM
heres my take on Glock vs M&P. My glock 43 and smith shield side by side its a tough call. I like the smaller size of the 43 for ccw but I like the fact that for just bit bigger package I can have 40 power. Compare them then to a 1911 officers model and both leave the 1911 in the dust for reliability and that is first priority in a ccw gun. Mid size I have a glock 23 and a smith 45 compact. Again power makes the decision for me. If glock made a midsize just the size of the 23 or compact smith like I might have to have one. I love my 23 and its probably my favorite glock but anymore its left at home more since I got the 45 smith. Commander sized 1911s are some of my favorite guns. The two I have are great guns and the glocks and smiths would go out the door before either of the 1911s would. Full sized I prefer the M&P hands down over the glocks. The glocks are just to big feeling. The m&ps just feel so much better in the hand. My 20 feels huge after shooting my full sized M&P. I don't carry full sized guns much anymore so there mostly for range work. Serious range work means a 1911 to me. NONE of the black guns will shoot with a good 1911. But there half the price and eat up all the ammo that makes my 1911s choke so they do get used a lot. I also like the idea of a high capacity 9 or 40 for shtf senerios. If shtf I doubt it would be a 1911 on my hip. Probably a full sized m&p 9mm or 40sw.

As to comparing accuracy between a glock and a smith or even through in a beretta storm or a fulls sized ruger and its more luck of the draw then anything. You can buy two identical glocks or smiths and one will shoot decent and one will only give you combat accuracy. Bottom line is you not going to win many accuracy contests with any of them. Especially if one of the guys on the line has a 1911. They were made to be target guns they are combat guns. They are made to go bang every time. Kind of like a ak47 for the hip. All of them do unbelievably well at that considering how cheap they are compared to 1911s or even revolvers.

FergusonTO35
01-05-2016, 10:02 AM
The best things about Glocks are that parts, mags, and aftermarket goodies are available everywhere for very reasonable prices. If your pistol gets lost, destroyed, or stolen you can replace it at pretty much any gun shop right then and there (laws notwithstanding of course).

sandman228
01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Lloyd when you mentioned about the glock 20 feeling huge after shooting an m&p , I kinda like the feeling of the bigger glocks ive got a g21 and a g22 that I can shoot fairly well with its the smaller glocks I cant shoot for sh t like the g43 I just got rid of or even my g19 . the 43 is gone I have no regrets over it the 19 isn't far behind ive never had a gun before that I had to work so hard to find something that will shoot well from , ive never had a gun I had to shoot so much to get half way decent with or any that ive had to work so hard to make myself like . I'm seriously thinking of just advertising my g 19 in a local classified for trade just to see what offers I get on it and if someone offers something I like just let it go or maybe just sell it ive got 3 other 9mm's an m&p full size , an m&p shield . and an xd sub compact . plus ive got a lone wolf 9mm barrel for my g22 so its not like I would really miss it.

Tom W.
01-05-2016, 08:09 PM
I had three Glocks, a 17, a 19 and a 30. The 17 shoot really well, but just collected dust. The 30 shot low and left, all of the time, even with aftermarket sights. The 19 shoots really well. I sold the 17, and traded the 30 for my RIA 1911, which shoots more accurately that any CF autoloader I ever had. I'm also comfortable with the RIA, as I carried a Colt GM for 40 years or so. The 19 goes on most excursions if I don't carry my LC9s Pro. I tried the Smith, (several really) but the triggers felt too gritty for my liking.

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2016, 07:19 AM
the black gun I shoot the best is my 23. Reason being is that it has a 3.5lb trigger that breaks pretty clean. I think part of your problem with the smaller guns is trigger pulls are bad on all those striker fired guns and the smaller the gun the more you notice it. Have the trigger done on one and get it down to 4lbs or so and id bet you come back with a different opinion. I really have to consentrate to shoot my 43 or my shield well. I'm sure id do better if I had the triggers done on them too but there self defense guns not target guns. I think the main reason some claim the shield outshoots the 43 is that the 43 adds about another lb or 2 of trigger pull into the situation.
Lloyd when you mentioned about the glock 20 feeling huge after shooting an m&p , I kinda like the feeling of the bigger glocks ive got a g21 and a g22 that I can shoot fairly well with its the smaller glocks I cant shoot for sh t like the g43 I just got rid of or even my g19 . the 43 is gone I have no regrets over it the 19 isn't far behind ive never had a gun before that I had to work so hard to find something that will shoot well from , ive never had a gun I had to shoot so much to get half way decent with or any that ive had to work so hard to make myself like . I'm seriously thinking of just advertising my g 19 in a local classified for trade just to see what offers I get on it and if someone offers something I like just let it go or maybe just sell it ive got 3 other 9mm's an m&p full size , an m&p shield . and an xd sub compact . plus ive got a lone wolf 9mm barrel for my g22 so its not like I would really miss it.